• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

sumo vs conventional again

I'm currently recovering from a lower back injury, Ive taken a full week off.

I was thinking to take some direct stress off lower back to go with sumo deadlifts, but my massuse lady thinks that the problem is starting from being super tight through my hips, so would it be better to stick with conventional?

SI joint?
I had this problem and found block pulls to be perfect. I tried sumo but block pulls worked best.
I also stretched my hip flexors pretty aggressively and did lots of bulgarian split squats before any lower body exercise- and continue to do so

SI joint?
I had this problem and found block pulls to be perfect. I tried sumo but block pulls worked best.
I also stretched my hip flexors pretty aggressively and did lots of bulgarian split squats before any lower body exercise- and continue to do so

I don't know what SI is.. But could be, I have to work on my hip ROM, why block pulls? To get lower??

I don't know what SI is.. But could be, I have to work on my hip ROM, why block pulls? To get lower??

SI is the Sacroiliac joint, it's where the two halves of your pelvis meet the spine.

You have to work on your hip ROM how? Did she say which muscle/s were tight?

You need to strengthen your lower back.

That's a nice blanket statement. Would be real helpful if he has some crazy anterior pelvic tilt and his low back was already fucked up...

That bragging about a sumo pull you did is like bragging about a man going soft in your mouth

Sumo will take some stress off your lower back and force you to get some more flexibility which can't be a bad thing. Obviously dont pull 1rms straight away but its going to use your back far less than conventional if you do it correctly.

Sumo cops a lot of shit from some people, but those people generally are terrible sumo lifters and would do it if it was stronger - you'd be stupid not to as a powerlifter.

Just more dead lifts? Or should I do some good mornings and other lower back work?

If you say you've recently recovered from a low back injury, and I assume it's caused by lifting, it sounds to me like you need to look into this.

There was a discussion here about using exercise for strengthening this area.

I'll see if I can find it.

SI is the Sacroiliac joint, it's where the two halves of your pelvis meet the spine.

You have to work on your hip ROM how? Did she say which muscle/s were tight?

I have to dance around like an idiot in hoolahoops each day, plus a few other static stretches

Either way, at the end of the day, I see very few people dead lifting at the gym, so if they are but it's sumo, I still think its better