• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Struggling.

T

The Big Dell

Been doin weight training for around 4 months now, and havent been seeing great results as of yet. As in, biceps are larger, but pecs arent working. 16 years old - 66 kgs - 174 cms, I wanna be big enough to play League next year, so I got around 6 months, and I need pretty good gains.

Any suggestions of a good cheap supplement I can get ? Or any training idea's on a bigger chest/back?
Thanks

Do heavy chest exercises like bench press to build your chest

It takes more then a year to start seeing noticeable results. At least, that was the norm for me and and others at my gym.

If your goal is to get bigger for League, i wouldnt panic about not getting a bigger chest.

I'd suggest u focus yor training on your main muscle groups with heavy compound exercises.

Do bench, chin-ups, dips, most back exercises, shoulder press and legs.

With legs, i think u might be a little young to do certain exercises, so to play it safe, stay away from squats and dead lifts. Just do leg press.

You may be able to fit some isolation exercises in on your off days, but u should probably be doing some sprint work then to maintain speed while u gain size. Plus, the prints will be good for your legs.

Eat lots, but eat well. You should never feel hungry.

Most people forget to do their back exercises because they hate them, by this I mean chin ups with a wide grip, also lat pulldowns.

I had a member of our gym who had great arms but only a 43.5 inch chest, by changing his chest and back routine he increased it to 45.5 inches in 8 weeks.

He did bench presses but did alternating wide and shoulder width grips with the barbell, I also threw in a few sets of close grip bench presses for the triceps and using a "spotter" increased the amount of weight over the 8 week period.

I put him on a Pec Deck and made him use the 3 postions on it to hit each seperate area, eg top, mid and lower while keeping his elbows at his side.

He finished off his routine with chin ups using both wide and shoulder width and pressing up behind and in front of his head.

There is a guy on YouTube that has a very interesting way of doing chinups and he has a great wide back and chest, along with huge shoulders, just put "workout pullups and and bench press"(no it's not a typing mistake on my part) then the next clip done 12 months later " pullups thisfooltyler" into the YouTube search engine, he also does a lat spread at the end of the clip.

With legs, i think u might be a little young to do certain exercises, so to play it safe, stay away from squats and dead lifts. Just do leg press.

Thanks mate. Yea, I've been doing a bit of squats with an assisted machine thing. Stayed away from deadlifts so far, dont wanna stuff my back up.
:cool: So what, twice a week each major bodypart? ie,
monday + friday = back + legs
tuesday + thursday = chest + bi's,tri's, shoulders.

Yeh i dont mind that beak up if it feels good for u.

Another option would be

Monday-legs/back
Tuesday-chest/shoulders/tri's
Wednesday-sprints
Thursday-legs/back
Friday-chest/shoulders/bi's

Or if u dont want that cardio day:

Monday+Thursday-legs/back
Tuesday+Friday-chest/shoulders
Wednesday-intense tri's/bi's

If u can train Saturday as well it would be good.

It takes more then a year to start seeing noticeable results. At least, that was the norm for me and and others at my gym.
Thats not true. You should see results in as little as 3 months esp when your a newbie.

Been doin weight training for around 4 months now, and havent been seeing great results as of yet. As in, biceps are larger, but pecs arent working. 16 years old - 66 kgs - 174 cms, I wanna be big enough to play League next year, so I got around 6 months, and I need pretty good gains.

Any suggestions of a good cheap supplement I can get ? Or any training idea's on a bigger chest/back?
Thanks
A cheap supplement is just that, cheap. It will not make you big, hard training and good diet will.

Can you post up your training and diet because I have a feeling your diet is not up too par?

A cheap supplement is just that, cheap. It will not make you big, hard training and good diet will.

Can you post up your training and diet because I have a feeling your diet is not up too par?

Yeah im thinking of going for Horleys Awesome Mass.
Me aswell, I've been training pretty hard, but i think im missing the proteins/carbs, cause i was kinda mixed up between losing weight or gaining weight. Now I wanna gain to about 80kg, but yeah, i think i need a mass supplement.

Shop around before buying Horleys. There are just as good if not better for a fraction of the cost. Let me know if you need help with this. I can't post link.

alrite thanks mate.
And yeah, can anyone give me a tip on how to gain, like I'm :
64kg
177cms
How many calories a day if i'm working out thrice a week? =S im fairly lost here, types of food? Cause i know I cant just eat 2000 calories of shit.

I would go for Optimum Nutrition Whey, it's good quality and tastes great.
$135 for a 10lbs bag.

You can mix it with milk+oats+anything else you want to make high calorie shakes to bump up your calories.

I would go for Optimum Nutrition Whey, it's good quality and tastes great.
$135 for a 10lbs bag.

You can mix it with milk+oats+anything else you want to make high calorie shakes to bump up your calories.

Take this advice The Big Dell. That's exactly what I do and it works amazingly! :).

Obviously the only way to gain weight is to consume more calories than you expel. If you have a fast metabolism DON'T be afraid to consume a bit more fat. Fat is a high energy source (9 calories per gram as opposed to 6 for protein or carbs [something like that. :p].

Keep the cardio minmal but make sure to not completely disregard it! Keep those meals coming and by meals i don't mean just a protein shake. :D.

P.S. I honestly think you should SQUAT. It's an excellent exercise for mass and I really don't think you will have any problems doing them. I also noticed someone might have mentioned to focus on the compound exercises. This is true as they develop more mass than isolations, although some isolations are ideal.

Hope some of my advice is helpful and good luck with your training!

Why pay $135 for just over 4kg when you can get something that will suit his purposes of bulking for $90 for 4kg.
You are paying importation costs for ON whey, with bioflex it's made here in Oz.

P.S. What Athlon said about squatting and compund exercises is spot on, you should really incorporate them into your training.

Why pay $135 for just over 4kg when you can get something that will suit his purposes of bulking for $90 for 4kg.
You are paying importation costs for ON whey, with bioflex it's made here in Oz.

P.S. What Athlon said about squatting and compund exercises is spot on, you should really incorporate them into your training.

Well, i basically agreed with the ON Whey because I know it works and when you put in to consideration the SERVING SIZE for ON Whey as opposed to any weight gainer. The weight gainer is generally larger serves with quite a lot of sugar and won't last as long. Possibly even a small tub of ON Whey will outlast most large tubs of weight gainers. With added oats, yogurt, penut butter in a shake - I feel is just as good or better than weight gainers nutritionally and in taste! :).

Oh, also.. I'm not real sure about Bioflex's product. So i can't say much about it. Perhaps it's serving size is good and it's an effective product.

Last edited:

A 10lbs bag of Optimum Nutrition Whey (4712 grams net weight actually) has 79% "quality" whey protein + other essential amino acids. That is 3720 grams of quality protein, you can add extra ingredients to bump up the calories. This is $135.

BioBulker from Bioflex is $90 for 4000 grams. It only has 41.3% protein content, a total of 1652 grams of protein compared to the 3720 of ON Whey. The rest is basically sugar making up the carbs component.

So the Optimum Nutrition is much better value and is definately a higher quality product. If you calculate the BioBulker to be the same weight as the ON, ie 4712 grams, the BioBulker would cost $106, compared to the $135 for the ON Whey. However, you are getting TWICE as much quality protein content in the ON whey than the BioBulker, 3722 grams vs 1946 grams. Sugar is a very cheap filler which makes up the difference in volume.

Put simply, the Optimum Nutrition wins hands down in all areas.

Just checked out the price for Whey protein from Bioflex, $160 for 4000 grams !!!!!

The ON whey would work out at $115 for 4000 grams.

This shows that the Bioflex product is clearly overpriced.