• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stronglifts - A few concerns

bornblank

Hey all,

I'm hoping this is the right section to post this in, if not, feel free to move it to the correct sub-forum.

To get a bit of an idea where I am, check out my intro thread here.

Onto the questions:

I've read around a lot and the general consensus is that the Smith machines are bad. Unfortunately, I'm limited to a certain amount of free weights at my gym. My deadlifts are stuck at 40kgs due to this. Is it possible to do dumbbell deadlifts, or should I just suck it up and buy more plates and do it at home at the end of my workout. If I can do dumbbell deadlifts, how would i go about doing it in terms of weight (eg 50kg = 2X25kg?)?

Because stronglifts goes up in 2.5kg increments, and the set weight barbells go up in 5kg increments, what would be the best way to do squats? Do the set weights (30, 35,etc) on the barbells and the odd weights (32.5, 37.5,etc) on the Smith machine or just do the set weights twice before moving up (30, 30, 35, 35 and so on)?

What are peoples thoughts on things like this or this vs Smith machine bench press?

Lastly, I'd love to get feedback on my barbell rows and any tips to help with my form (I think I need some direction). I took a short video tonight during my workout. As much as I hate putting pics up online of my body, it's better to do this then to do these exercises with bad form.

Yes, if you didn't read my intro,I am skinny, hence why I'm here ;) try not to be shocked when you see me.

movie_8006511_zps2eaa2ef8.mp4 video by nathanlb91 - Photobucket

5 reps @ 35kg

If there is anything you want to know, or anything you want to add, please don't hesitate, I'm here to learn and improve.

Thanks,
Nathan
[Edit] I'm posting from my phone so I hope this all comes out right and the links work.

Hi and welcome.

You're going to have to go to a real gym if you want to get ahead. Or buy a setup for home if you have the money/space/inclination.

Not really any other way around it I'm sorry.

Hi, thanks for the welcome and the reply.

I think tomorrow I'll head down to the sports store and price some weights. I have a bench and a barbell/dumbbells at home, but hardly any weight.

I'll get a rough idea on price and continue the routine until I have to switch to free weights.

Any advice on the video?

Cheers

Do you have the option to join another gym?

If not, I'd seriously consider getting some sort of basic set up at home. For Stronglifts, you really only need a bar, weight, a bench and a power rack, for when your squat/bench gets heavy.

At the start of SL, I'm pretty sure you could go up in 5kg increments until it starts getting a little too much for you (you could probably get about 2 weeks out of 5kg increases), but at that point smaller weights (because of your size) will get more and more important for you, so you don't stall.

RE: the video, your lower back is rounded... you need to maintain an arch there or you're begging for injury.
You're also partially using your legs to lift the weight, don't do that. Keep your knees and hips out of the movement. Some slight movement is inevitable, but your knees/hips shouldn't be moving up and down.

@Jay -
We have another gym here which is pretty much the same, more mainstream, focusing on basic free weights and machines. I guess this is the downfall of a small/isolated town.

I've got a bench, bar, dumbbells and a curl bar(?) But limited weights. I've gone out and priced some:
IMG_20121025_121432_zps3c7e2a66.jpg

As for the rows,I figured that I had to fix my form. After watching the video I managed to clean them up a bit more for the last couple sets, but I definitely need to work on them more.

When I'm home I might setup a low weight and work on my form, record a couple videos to see if I'm improving,etc.

@nazzysmith- I'm in SA, small town about 2.5 hours North of Adelaide.

Keep in mind mate that you could quickly out-grow the standard bar, might pay to invest in an Olympic size barbell before you go spending too much money on standard plates...
And everyone has to start somewhere mate, you could really put some bulk on that frame if you stick to it and eat big, good luck.

Last edited:
If your 2.5 hrs north of adelaide just start lurking gumtree and ebay and buy a complete setup secondhand. It'll be worth the 5hr trip for the money you can save if you have access to a car.

@Russell coight - a little of topic, but, haha just finished rewatching AAA not long ago :D

I love to invest in a rack at some point, essentially my budget is anything if I save up for it. I may only (currently) work at Subway, but for $25/hour I'm not complaining.

I could probably get a bit of money from my parents for Christmas to go towards it as well.

I'll look into the package deals, as that sounds like it would be the best way to go about it.

@D1cko - any recommendations? 5ft?
Should probably get that sorted before going crazy buying stuff like you said. Want to make this future proof add much as possible.

@fluffy - I never thought about checking gum tree. I have my own car (where most of my money ends up -luckily I've gotten good at fixing it myself), so that won't be a problem.
would be good to pick up some stuff cheap.

Cheers

7ft mate, you could splash out and get something like ABC power bar or Elieko or something, I bought a cheapie Force USA bar and it's doing the trick so far :)

Hi and welcome.

You're going to have to go to a real gym if you want to get ahead. Or buy a setup for home if you have the money/space/inclination.

Not really any other way around it I'm sorry.

Hey man of wing?

Did you end up training in SA when you where last there... Was there a PTC type gym in SA?

@D1cko - okay, I'll have a look around. Based on reviews, they sound like great bars, and I suppose when thinking about the long run it wouldn't be a bad idea, but for the price i feel like I'd be better off investing in quality plates and a squat rack with an average-good bar to get started.

Like most things, I'll probably regret not doing it sooner, but I'll live with that hah.

Is there any online stores you would suggest looking at? PM me if needed.

Cheers

Keep an eye on eBay or other selling pages...

There is always racks and plates going up for sale... Most often you find them near new or still in the box..

Olympic bars are nice, but I have yet to out grow my standard bars, and I don't think it will happen, olympic bars are not needed for 90% of lifters and home trainers.

In saying that if I was starting from scratch and had nothing, I would be buying a medium priced olympic bar and rubber coated weights.

Something along the lines of this:

140KG Olympic Barbell set (Rubber)

Along with this:

MMPR Power Rack

And this:

ASFID Super FID Bench

You will never pay gym fees again (saving money), train any time you like, don't have to drive to a gym (saving time and money), don't have to put up with dick heads, can train in your underwear etc etc

Actually after looking at all that gear I want some.

When looking at second hand gear always bargin them down.

Its nicer to have new stuff but if they're a bit rusty its easy enough to clean them up
with a wire brush and a bit of wd40 or kerosene.

Just watch out for dodgy welds/cracks on old benches - don't want anything to fail on your in the middle of a lift.

Could get a few kettlebells as well.
I don't have the space for a bench (fun of apartment life) making do with kettlebells and clubs at home ( and the gym at work)

From experience on stronglifts, this set up will be suitable (and buy a door frame chin up bar):

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/Body-Solid-Safety-Squat-Rack-+-Body-Solid-Adjustable-Bench-+-Olympic-Bar-+-105kg-Weight-Plates/854.htm

or a full rack:
4 Package Deal _ Power Rack + ASFID FID bench + Olympic bar + 80kg Olympic weights $1150

And just buy more big plates as needed.

I have the powertec rack with lat attachment... I love it but I think the MMPR one is fine and has a better chin up bar.

@nazzysmith - I've been keeping an eye on eBay/gumtree, but it seems like no one is willing to give up their racks or Olympic gear. Knowing my luck, I'll buy it all brand new and I'll start seeing stuff pop up left, right and centre. But at least I'll have warranty and peace of mind.

I'd love to pick up some plates cheap though to save a bit of money.

@big Mick - yeah, considering i'm basically starting up, going the Olympic route seems worthwhile. And it seems like it will be easy to sell if it ever came to that.

I like the looks and price of the MMPR rack, it's actually really manageable. Then I'd just need the Olympic weight set. I like the idea of packs but already have a bench. I'm not looking forward to finding out the delivery costs though haha.

The more I look at it the more I want it!

@lex - yeah, I'd try to get it cheaper if possible, worth a shot anyway. No harm in trying. I'd definitely want to make sure it is safe. Probably one of the benefits of buying new gear.

Just need to find someone selling stuff now.

7ft mate, you could splash out and get something like ABC power bar or Elieko or something, I bought a cheapie Force USA bar and it's doing the trick so far :)
not going to lie, did crack a little boner.

if you buy quality, you buy once, i started with an economy bar from iron edge, was bent in a few weeks, then bought a pendlay, would of lasted ages but i found it unsuitable for squats because they have no center knurl, then bit the bullet and went eleiko, and havnt had any trouble with it, wicked knurling and bragging rights.

for weights for a home gym id get bumpers, they are quieter and wont make a mess of the floor if you drop them without anything under them, go have a look at iron edge, they have some nice stuff. also have a look at the texas power bar, and everyone raves about abc bars, so they will be worth a look as well.