• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Steroids and strength gain

Was 170 before first halo run, 200 end of week 4. Dropped back to 180 or so after if i remember correctly. A truely incredible drug

You should probably get your nutrition/training down first. Powerlifter/crossfitter or bodybuilder, thats a pretty bad deadlift to be smashing anabolics for, and to loose those strength gains by a third.

I'd imagine if that was 10 years ago, Genic's deadlift would be quite a bit higher than that now.

Im no athlete and would never claim to be, i have taken years at a time off gear and training all together. Im not a poster boy for gear use, but i do have alot of experience to hand on to others.

Was 170 before first halo run, 200 end of week 4. Dropped back to 180 or so after if i remember correctly. A truely incredible drug

I am not picking sides - nor do I want to/need to - I think there are things both of you have been saying that is fairly stupid - but prob just in the heat of the moment.

I do think though Genics - and this isnt a dig at you - that if you are 100kg/6'3 that if you were only deadlifting 170kg when you started steroids maybe you should of thought about if you were ready to take anything? You may of had a huge squat and bench and your deadlift was just falling behind - but really some1 your size should prob hit a 200kg deadlift within the 1st 12-24 months of their training life - naturally.

I personally believe there is no1 on this forum that should be giving advice about drug use - unless there are acouple of guys hiding that dont post much.

No1 on this forum has the experience to talk about what other people should or should not be taking.

I know people can do alot of personal study etc and uyes I do believe that will give you a fantastic understanding - but on the other hand, have you used the products yourself, have you been around people who have been using etc etc etc - I guess the best education for someone is when they can gain the life experience and also the knowledge through reading/studying...

I am not picking sides - nor do I want to/need to - I think there are things both of you have been saying that is fairly stupid - but prob just in the heat of the moment.

I do think though Genics - and this isnt a dig at you - that if you are 100kg/6'3 that if you were only deadlifting 170kg when you started steroids maybe you should of thought about if you were ready to take anything? You may of had a huge squat and bench and your deadlift was just falling behind - but really some1 your size should prob hit a 200kg deadlift within the 1st 12-24 months of their training life - naturally.

I personally believe there is no1 on this forum that should be giving advice about drug use - unless there are acouple of guys hiding that dont post much.

No1 on this forum has the experience to talk about what other people should or should not be taking.

I know people can do alot of personal study etc and uyes I do believe that will give you a fantastic understanding - but on the other hand, have you used the products yourself, have you been around people who have been using etc etc etc - I guess the best education for someone is when they can gain the life experience and also the knowledge through reading/studying...

Well said.

this thread is primarily about strength you gain from gear.

So far two people have posted anything. Myself, who has taken both moderate and brief large doses long ago (about 20 years ago), and got around 15% improvement, and Genics. I forgot to add earlier, when I listened to the galahs and took a higher dose, I noticed absolutely no further strength increase than more moderate doses, albeit I looked a lot bigger, as suggested by articles cited by Oni.

I think there are plenty of people on this forum that could post something of relevance, but they won't.

So really, leave Genics alone. He may not even give a fuck about deadlifts. There are plenty of bb's that would do a lot more in this lift if they actually knew how to. But maybe they don't give a damn.

As for posting articles, keep them coming. Some of the biggest dickheads I ever knew on the subject of drugs were actually the bb's winning titles (and getting serious side effects). So much for experience.

Free speech baby, keep the articles coming, as well as listen to experience (good and bad).

Last edited:

Your making alot of wrong asumptions

When I finally got past the bs (including listening to morons, not thinking and reading enough for myself, and signs of abuse), I found that a moderate dose was enough to increase my strength (about 15-20%). My most successful period, I took 125mg of nandrolone (deca), and 125mg of test (enanthate) per week.

However, I also only took this sparingly, and stopped in 1994 when I returned to school.

Many others told me that they did not get much benefit from such a dose, and that I should take this and that, but that was enough to work for me. I was more interested in strength, rather than size, so why take anything more than was needed? This should have been my starting point.

first time I took it in (either late 1988 or early 1990), 100mg of deca per week, my bench went from 130kg to 140kg (training at Rocco's gym).

As bench is the main test I ever did, it is the exercise I can make the best comparison with.

Around late 1991, when taking one 50mg anapalon per day (2 doses of 25mg half-tablet), I did 20 reps on 110kg bench in Perth (around 98kg bw). Probably around 160mg max at time. I have always been able to get around 20 reps on 70% of my max, and this relationship is probably related to my style of training (short rests on moderate weights).

In the US, in early 1991, I had done 6 reps on 135kg bench (98kg bw), taking just 6 andriol tab per day (240mg split into 3 doses) after about 6-7 weeks on. I had been on moderate deca/winstrol dose in earlier cycle months before), so there may have been some residual strength retained.

My highest weekly dose, perhaps for 6 weeks only (not really sure), was 500mg test and 200mg nadrolone (deca). There was no increase in my max bench or noticeable improvement in reps on a sub-maximal weight. This occurred in 1990, before taking a long break and returning to moderate doses at times.

My optimal dose (125mg of test-nandrolone per week), I did 6 reps on 145kg bench and a 172.5kg max.

In 1998, after 4 years clean, I improved my clean bench from around 140kg to 147.5kg, albeit my bw went from a fairly lean 92kg to 97-98kg (about 20% body fat).

Since then it has been about maintaining strength, did 137.5kg bench (touch and go) in 2011 at about 95kg, and 16 reps on 100.4kg.

Do I regret taking them? Yes, to an extent. I had got to a reasonable level of strength without them, and perhaps had lost the plot by my mid-to late 20s in terms of forgetting that eating and hard training are most important, and that the drugs was just the icing on the cake (as I later found out 15% for me).

I had benched 120kg at 80kg, (poor form though) and could press 90kg behind my neck after cleaning it and sitting on edge of bench (no back support) (1981 age 20). Also, power cleaned 120kg at time and could jerk 137.5kg off a rack.

I only got up to 147.5kg bench (clean) at around 98kg before doing 137.5kg at 87kg after a period of dieting on 3000 calories per day (1998 age 36).

So, to a large degree, I wasted whatever talent I had in terms of strength. when you weigh it up, and take away drugs, my bench only went from 130kg to 147.5 in a period of ten years (late 1987 to 1998). Had done a bench of around 120kg (albeit one arm extended the other) around 1981 at 80-81kg. Fucking woeful.

I am now a supporter of drug-tested sport for a variety of reasons, but I will not pretend to be a do-gooder.

Funny thing though, my mate (almost 50y now), who once benched 182.5kg raw and clean and no arch at all, now cant even bench 120kg. I whip his ass, so perhaps I have aged better or just train that bit smarter (when am not injured). He, like I, has never stopped training since the early 1980s.

Last edited:
this thread is primarily about strength you gain from gear.

So far two people have posted anything. Myself, who has taken both moderate and brief large doses long ago (about 20 years ago), and got around 15% improvement, and Genics. I forgot to add earlier, when I listened to the galahs and took a higher dose, I noticed absolutely no further strength increase than more moderate doses, albeit I looked a lot bigger, as suggested by articles cited by Oni.

I think there are plenty of people on this forum that could post something of relevance, but they won't.

So really, leave Genics alone. He may not even give a fuck about deadlifts. There are plenty of bb's that would do a lot more in this lift if they actually knew how to. But maybe they don't give a damn.

As for posting articles, keep them coming. Some of the biggest dickheads I ever knew on the subject of drugs were actually the bb's winning titles (and getting serious side effects). So much for experience.

Free speech baby, keep the articles coming, as well as listen to experience (good and bad).

I have a suspicion that most people do not have the genetic response needed to get much more out of 500mg of test. From what I've seen it's mainly bloat after then. 500-1000mg is just as much of a difference as 250-500 and after a gram I really doubt you'd get much out of it. This follows what the older dudes tell me as well. If you're not growing on 500mg of test + some orals, you're a big dude and instead of just increasing the test you're better off just taking a cc of nandrolone or boldenone

People will say it's a waste, "bold is like water" but it's hilarious.

Bold is like water. One of the things you are missing 0ni is that different drugs work for different people. Once you start using properly you woll discover some drugs work wonders on you and others dont, thats what your "research" wont tell you. For some eq is crap, others its great.

You should run some eq and see what you think of it, not what someone else told you

It's not me
I don't give a fuck what you "think" the gains came from. Clearly the guy isn't an idiot and doesn't just take something because it doesn't do anything