• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squeezing shoulder blades on bench?

Nevick

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone had tips in squeezing shoulder blades back on the bench and what does this do. I've been trying to do this but every time I do the push my back just flattens out. Are your shoudler blades suppose to be squeezed like this the whole time through.

power-clean-back.jpg

thanks guys!

Squeeze them As hard as you can before you lay on the bench. I notice my shoulder blades become relaxed when I push off the bar. Your suppose to use your Lats to pull the bar off the hooks to keep the tightness

Grab the bar and imagine your trying to PULL it apart .. this will force your shoulders to come together.. To maximise bench this way u need a get your back stronger.

Your suppose to use your Lats to pull the bar off the hooks to keep the tightness

Unless your getting a hand off with the bench I can't see how this would work but yeah just try and pinch the should blades together.

. Pull the shoulder blades together

It locks your back, places the weight on your shoulders and keeps you tight so you don't flap around. Stay solid chest up ass down.

Last edited:
My set up is

Slide back > set grip > set feet > lift torso off bench > arch > shoulders in > shoulders on bench > wriggle shoulders tighter > arse back to shoulders more to create a bigger, tighter arch > pull bar out.

Looks epic like that, but only takes 5-8 seconds.

Most importantly is your shoulders are IN and DOWN.

I don't think I've ever (consciously) done this before, I'll try it out next time.

Won't this necessarily mean you have a closer grip tho?

How do you figure that?

You're squeezing and pulling your arms out and down.

Imagine doing the movement of a band pull apart not a seated row

Grip is dictated by where you put your hands lol

My set up is

Slide back > set grip > set feet > lift torso off bench > arch > shoulders in > shoulders on bench > wriggle shoulders tighter > arse back to shoulders more to create a bigger, tighter arch > pull bar out.

Looks epic like that, but only takes 5-8 seconds.

Most importantly is your shoulders are IN and DOWN.

exactally that...

I don't think I've ever (consciously) done this before, I'll try it out next time.

Nope not at all.. Your scapula retraction has nothing to do with the position of your arms or humeral head.Pull back and down really tight.. If you cant do this then you are on the road to injury.

ive never even tried this, each time i go for benching my shoulder blades actually wrap around the thin bench haha guess il have to try a different approach see how it feels

Break your set-up in to stages (as above). To this day I always talk my self thru setup like Im a first day noobie.

I was just reading starting strengths book and there was no mention of squeezing shoulder blades back by rippetoe?