• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

squat lagging

I don't think we need to be ridiculing the OP since he's looking for some guidance without knowing what he's aims are with his workout.

Now unless you're after just lifting big numbers for whatever reason, consider dropping deadlifts altogether and save it for squats since that's where you'll get the most benefit both in strength and muscle growth.

Whether you do a full body routine or split that's up to you and what you prefer but as a general guide I would drop the arms only days which will then allow you to put more frequency and effort into your squats and as Goosey mentioned you can follow up your squats with some Stiff Legged Deadlifts in the same workout.

Last edited:
Hey fellas,

I've been training for a while but for some reason my squat is lagging behind in comparisin to my bench and deadlift. My bench is 100 kg, deadlift 190kg and squat 100kg. I do legs once a weeks, can you suggest some changes to my routine to even out this imbalance?

Many points have been suggested already including the fact that we don't know too much about you. I have chosen in this short answer of mine to focus on one point and one point only... so here goes.

Whenever someone is lacking some strength in a particular strength movement, one of the points I would be suggesting to him would be to find the weakest link in that particular strength movement and work on it to make it his point of strength (as much as possible).

To do that, I prefer the partial method. Since coming to the world of bodybuilding, I found (or heard) of many bodybuilders of the same weight as I, squatting a lot more than I did (as a weightlifter)... something doesn't add up right...right!!!

I found that these individuals only squatted partially and NOT fully as I was doing, hence the monstrous pundages used.

Please find your weakest point in the squat and focus on it. The way you do that is you take advantage of the power rack, one that has pins to hold the squat bar at exactly your point of weakness. You commence your squats from that point and you complete your squats from that point. This (your weakest point) is your weak link...the link we're trying to strengthen and hopefully eliminate altogether.

I hope you find something useful to take from the above. All the best.

Fadi.

As others have said... squat more! It's as simple as that.
Also make sure your technique is sound.

Hi OP

Your squat is at novice levels, most novice/beginner programs lurking around have the lifter squatting a minimum of 2 times per week.

We have our novices squat 100-120 times per week across 3 days.

The first thing you need to do is squat at least a second day, minimum 10 reps each, minimum 3 work sets. Perhaps replace the second arm day for this.

Good luck.

When your handle has brah in it.
Of course u have to do 2 arm days in your training. They are the biggest muscle group?

cheers Trent

Cheers for the advice fellas,

I want to put on mass, but I also want to gain strength as well. I have changed my program to include deadlift, bench and squat because I love doing them and I would like to keep progressing with the weights I am lifting. I'm not a powerlifter or bodybuilder, just a bloke that loves to hit the gym. My routine may not be perfect because I am a novice, therefore I am not as well acquainted with the technical side of training of some of you guys.

I am considering doing AM sessions as well to fit in more training during the week if you have any suggestions?

10-20 rep squats will deliver size and strength gains.

I dont think you need more sessions, I think less sessions with different exercises.

Have you scene the beginners routine posted on this forum?

yeah hit up the beginners program or that one posted by fadi, it often goes forgotten brcause of all the hype about the beginners program

Cheers for the advice fellas,

I want to put on mass, but I also want to gain strength as well. I have changed my program to include deadlift, bench and squat because I love doing them and I would like to keep progressing with the weights I am lifting. I'm not a powerlifter or bodybuilder, just a bloke that loves to hit the gym. My routine may not be perfect because I am a novice, therefore I am not as well acquainted with the technical side of training of some of you guys.

I am considering doing AM sessions as well to fit in more training during the week if you have any suggestions?

Actions verify priorities.

The consensus is to increase the time you spend under the bar, some said to even drop the dead-lift.

You will find that if you focus on your squat and forego the DL your squat will in fact climb and your dead-lift will benefit, but it doesn't work the other way around.

I have never done it because deadlifts are my favourite lift but I can't see my deadlift maintaining let alone improving from squats alone.

I have never done it because deadlifts are my favourite lift but I can't see my deadlift maintaining let alone improving from squats alone.

This. Some people can do it but for me the more I squat (frequency/weight) the worse my deadlift gets.

I think as Louie says squats will "build" a strong deadlift not if you squat more your deadlift will automatically go up
Even at Westside now they pull as a max effort exercise almost every 2nd week, and almost always do speed pulls after their dynamic box squat sets

You plonked those plates in my boot like they were feathers knackers.

Sorry I couldn't chat longer a bit short staffed
I'll see if I can tuck away a pair of collars for you if there's any in the sale stuff

In the forty years you all have of productive lifting, three months of focusing on the squat is not going to Finnish your lifting career.

If your squat stalls, something needs to change, even if it is for a brief period.

Do it or not I don't really care.

In the forty years you all have of productive lifting, three months of focusing on the squat is not going to Finnish your lifting career.

If your squat stalls, something needs to change, even if it is for a brief period.

Do it or not I don't really care.

OP is a beginner but, he doesn't need to drop deadlift & focus just on squat to bring up his squat imo.

How long would you suggest I drop deadlifts for? I haven't really thought of this and I guess it makes sense because muscle soreness from deadlifts is whats been getting in the way of my squat progress. Will I still be able to pull the same weight on deads are giving it a rest for a while?

Can you suggest an alternative exercise to deadlifts, and do you think sumo deadlifts are a good swap for deadlifts as someone else suggested?