• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sprint training while bulking..

dalemightypies

Hey guys..

Basically, i'm bulking at the moment. I've always wanted to play footy, but always been pretty weak and unfit... I'd like to just play reserves so nothing serious..

At the moment, i reckon i would struggle to do 100m sprint sub 18 seconds lol..

I would like to play footy in 1 year which is when next season would start..

Nothing serious don't wanna try run 100m in record time, just want to have a solid sprint on me and be able to get through a game without collapsing!

How should i incorporate this into my weights, and how much would it impact me bulking and also my cut when i start in september?

Thanks folks

PS. this is my routine..

SUNDAY:
flat bench
squats
chinup
+ 2-3 iso's

TUESDAY:
military press
deadlift
barbell row
+ 2-3 iso's

THURSDAY:
incline bench
front squats
pullup
+ 2-3 iso's

Last edited:
Do you want to be faster or fitter?

Being able to sprint 100 in 10 secs won't make it easier to play 4 quarters of footy.

I suggest you jump on a fitness routine.

Go for a 5k jog 3 times per week.

Being able to sprint 100 in 10 secs won't make it easier to play 4 quarters of footy.

+1 and burpees

easy. go to a park with a field and jog/walk the longs and sprint the try line (short side). start at 3-5 laps and add laps till your at 10. then drop it too 5 laps but this time sprint the long side and walk/jog the shorts side. get up to 10 laps. by then you should have a pretty good foundation of cardio.
burpees will also do good for the cardio but may not help with running.

there is always spin class

With that lifting program, i'd suggest working up to two sprint sessions a week for fitness and speed.

One would be 2 x 8 x 120m @ max effort with 20sec between reps, and 4 mins between the two sets. Start with just a single set of 6 x 120m with 20sec rest.

The other would be 15 x 25m @ max effort with 1 min rest.

Make sure you warm up really well.

I dont want to play in the midfield, probably just in the forward pocket.
i want to be quick off the mark mostly. i have good skills, i'm just slow and can't move at all hahahaha..

You have to look at what you want.

Footy or get big. Going to be hard to do both. Even the pro's don't focus on there weight during the season, that's done in the off season.

easy. go to a park with a field and jog/walk the longs and sprint the try line (short side). start at 3-5 laps and add laps till your at 10. then drop it too 5 laps but this time sprint the long side and walk/jog the shorts side. get up to 10 laps. by then you should have a pretty good foundation of cardio.
burpees will also do good for the cardio but may not help with running.

there is always spin class

Good idea using the field like that

Thanks for all the suggestions guys much appreciated.

You have to look at what you want.

Footy or get big. Going to be hard to do both. Even the pro's don't focus on there weight during the season, that's done in the off season.

What if i did them when cutting?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys much appreciated.

What if i did them when cutting?

That would probably be the best case, but then you'll be limiting your effectiveness on the field, due to low calories and working yourself into a deficit.

Don't want you collapsing on the field! :p

V02 max training m8t will get you there. 3/sessions a week 5km and push yourself. Get that heart racing and your fitness will improve out of site. Try beat your times on a weekly basis.

i wouldnt worry about it too much
from what i read alot of followers of 5/3/1 and jim wender do hill sprints a fair bit with out any problems

Lol i'm 90kg and havent done any running for about 5 years, dont think i'd make it through the first qtr!

- Find a running coach. Body builders can't help you.
- Consider if you're lifting weights to improve your physique or to play better football.
- Take steroids. Every other player is.

Last edited:
- Find a running coach. Body builders can't help you.
- Consider if you're lifting weights to improve your physique or to play better football.
- Take steroids. Ever other player is.

A running coach for someone who wants to play for reserves?
Not sure if you're taking the piss.

Dale as other's have suggested add some running and sprints in your days off, as long as you are having adequate food and rest I don't see how it would impact your training too much. Then do a pre season with a footy team and you would be right to go.