• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Spotting the squat

I've been incorporating a lot more rep work in my training recently and I quite like the change of pace
Starting to get problems from just going heavy all the time. Bench is still fine, impossible for me to go heavy enough! But deadlifting is starting to take its toll

Strength training is above all else, a participatory art, it's not a science, it's an activity and if you don't do it, you don't get it.

Interestingly, it only seems to be the monolift feds where you see the back spotter hugging the lifter. Never in the IPF, even with stupid over 400kg equipped squats. Yet there is nothing to suggest there are more spectacular spotting failures in the IPF than elsewhere.

Hands around the lifter is not specifically prohibited by the rules, but if the spotter so much as touches the lifter, it's instant red lights. In other feds, the spotters are allowed a lot more leeway. I suspect that the reason the back spotter's hands are kept much further away in the IPF is a product of not wanting to accidentally invalidating the lift and getting out of the way of the walkout from the squat stands.

I think it makes for a much better spectacle when the back spotter has their hands away.

They are deterring the hug spot because if a squatter loses the bar off his back it could endanger the spotter. There were a couple of broken arms on spotters to help inspire this rule change. As a rule any squats from 200 up will have double side spotters too.

They are deterring the hug spot because if a squatter loses the bar off his back it could endanger the spotter. There were a couple of broken arms on spotters to help inspire this rule change. As a rule any squats from 200 up will have double side spotters too.

good rule

Thanks for that. I didn't realise this was the case, but it makes sense.

Lol....At gayness factor when mate hugs mate from behind on 100kg reps....Bar spot is definitely the way forward...