• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Spotting the squat

I only use spotters at each end of the bar to assist with the lift, they will never take the full load. It's also up to the lifter to decided if they want spotter before they lift. If I or my lifters get into trouble on their own they have been taught how bail out safely.

I tried to spot a guy once, at his request, with hands on the bar, it was 180kgs, at the time more than my 1rm deadlift. I had no chance. He went down, couldn't get out of the bottom, all I could do was try and pull it off his back, he flicked it off at the same time into me. Could of ended much worse, not a safe option in my opinion, but neither is grabbing the body, what happens if you both can't lift it?

Was he squatting in a cage?

I've seen squatter using Vulcan type racks, the squatter got stuck and a *good* spotter virtually pull the bar of the back of a trainee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euN4UaohtNw

Here is the 400kg squat in comparison, he lost the groove so tried to stand back up, no chance in hell of catching that with hands on top of the bar, he would have thrown it off his back. (yes i realise my hand is through the sling)

Say what you like, but look at the big misses in PA, with spotters hands on the bar, i have seen many many bars hit the floor, bounce off the spotter etc. before the side spotters even know whats going on. I am yet to see a bar hit the slings in a QLD GPC Meet.

If you grind out a rep, and almost miss it, then go for another one, you deserve to get pinned, there is a difference between finding your "limit" and stupidity.

If any of the spotters touch the bar/lifter in GPC, they are red lighted instantly, i have seen it happen on many occasion and have given a red light for it myself.

Yeah but I think the point (and correct me if i'm wrong) is that when spotting more in BBing environment, you see people squatting less but are getting "spotted" or assistance for the last couple of reps, in a PL environement, the spotter is there completely for safety of the lifter and as soon as the spotter steps in to assist then bar is pretty much racked and that set has finished, whereas, in a bbing environment, you will see people get assistance when they cant go it alone, and then do another 2 or 3 reps.

yeah, I understand that and I agree.

Some strength coaches in NFL seem to be adopting this (hands-on) method

Nah, we don't use cages.

That was my first and last time spotting like that, so for sure, someone that is a good spotter with that technique may have handled the situation better. Although if the lifter gets into proper trouble and weight is above the spotters capabilities I'm not sure what outcome would be. For me, a spotter at each end is a much safer option, not always ideal, but safer. Also my guys only get one use of the spotters, once the spotters have helped, the bar gets racked.

If any of the spotters touch the bar/lifter in GPC, they are red lighted instantly, i have seen it happen on many occasion and have given a red light for it myself.

I know this rule is enforced well in GPC Australia, but the fact it has needed to be enforced on many occasions is not ideal IMO. There is a problem if lifters are routinely being red-lighted for the actions of the spotters.

I think there is a middle ground here. I agree it is much better and safer practice to spot the body than the bar, but the back spotter can keep their hands further away from the body of the lifter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euN4UaohtNw

Here is the 400kg squat in comparison, he lost the groove so tried to stand back up, no chance in hell of catching that with hands on top of the bar, he would have thrown it off his back. (yes i realise my hand is through the sling)

Say what you like, but look at the big misses in PA, with spotters hands on the bar, i have seen many many bars hit the floor, bounce off the spotter etc. before the side spotters even know whats going on. I am yet to see a bar hit the slings in a QLD GPC Meet.

If you grind out a rep, and almost miss it, then go for another one, you deserve to get pinned, there is a difference between finding your "limit" and stupidity.

Is is that you spotting?

make sure either arms aren't in the safety straps next time.

I'm not sure I'd use a spotter for that rep scheme, but that's just me

Not all the time.
the coach/spotter should make the judgement call.

In a squat cage...
if I told my trainee, today we are going to take that weight that you do ten with and attempt a twenty rep set, i'de be standing there, and towards the end I'd place my hands lightly on the bar whispering encouragement

If you are doing 20 reps, in a cage why would you need a spotter?

The craziest 20 rep I saw was Sticky doing 160 for 20 reps... that was about 60% of his 1rm at the time.
he did it out of squat stands on a platform and used bumper plates as his failsafe.

so if you are using 50-60% of your 1rm and going for 20 reps and in a cage with safety bars, why do you need a spotter?

if it's just to take some of the load or give some encouragement, then I guess it kinda makes sense.

The best squat performance i ever saw was from a 52 y/o that squatted 185 x 23, at 72kg B/W he baled out on 24, in the squat position that is.
This was part of a workout, which included; press, rows, pullovers, curls and Farmer's.

This was not just a oncer, but a regular workout, fuck that is inspiring to watch.

He had no spotter, he is a famous strength coach.

that's some crazy shit.

probably would have got 30 with you whispering in his ear and touching his bar though right? :D

He'd actually get pissed off when people would comment stuff like "that's crazy"

He couldn't understand all the fuss, "it was just something we did every week, year in year out, it's just how we worked out it's all we knew."