• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

splitting workout into two parts (same day)

Tried 30s rest periods? Easily get your volume in. Just have to lower the weight a little.

I suspect i could lift the same weights with shorter rest periods, I'm not really feeling any dom's etc after these workouts, the progression hasn't gotten to the point they're really challenging yet (squats are limited by tight muscles at present, it's the stretch thats hurting most) (this is where my time is being eaten waiting for the stretch pain to subside for the squats)

The Saxon trio, Barbarian brothers, Steinborn, Paul Anderson and most Olympic lifters trained daily for hours on end before steroids even existed

OK I see that Paul Anderson was at his peak in 1955 and steroids really started taking off in the late 40's. So I'd like to rephrase that to "at a time when 50mg of dbol a day was a large dose". The point still stands with the other examples though

Oh yeah, in an interview Ryan Kennelly states he trains 6 times a week as a bench only competitor.

It can certainly be done

Whether best for a 'weekend warrior' is an altogether different debate

Oh yeah, in an interview Ryan Kennelly states he trains 6 times a week as a bench only competitor.

It can certainly be done

Whether best for a 'weekend warrior' is an altogether different debate

I know what you're saying Hamburgler however, as with many discussions here it's a bit pointless comparing a recreational lifter (as virtually we all are here) to a competitive/professional lifter who trains 6 days a week, not because he was taught to but rather because he could.

Whether you're lifting for pure strength or for bodybuilding, just because the pros can do it doesn't mean we should or can do the same.

Last edited:
Last time I checked there was nothing physiologically different between top level athletes, you and I
Your post also did not answer my question so I will ask it again:
Why can't a recreational athlete not train like a competitive athlete?

Because training you or I like an Olympic athlete will not make us Olympic athletes

Thing is you don't know. If you had a oly coach and you dedicated your life to being an Olympic lifter in your teens, give it 10 years and maybe you could have been an good oly lifter. You don't know.

Take a O lifter in his prime and have him train like an average joe and I doubt his lifts will hold up.

Last time I checked there was nothing physiologically different between top level athletes, you and I
Your post also did not answer my question so I will ask it again:
Why can't a recreational athlete not train like a competitive athlete?

Now you're just being silly Oni and arguing for the sake of it.

I'll leave all you pros and Olympic level athletes here to do your thing.

No I'm not just being argumentative
You're just not making any sense at all. If you feel that you can make an argument you should at least be able to explain the why's and wherefores as to how you drew your conclusions.
It seems to be that you've just trained for 20 years in your own way and that when you train you would obviously make decisions based on what you believe was the best for your goals. If you didn't believe it then why would you do it? Fast forwards 20 years and you see something that doesn't fit the training philosophy you have spent years building. It easier for you to come to the conclusion that if athletes are using a training philosophy the complete opposite of what you believe is right then they must be genetic outliers or abusing performance enhancing drugs than accept that you may not have all the answers

I don't know Oni, it seems clear as day to me

You can practice driving for 20 years from the age of 10 but it doesn't mean you'll be Ken Block
You can run from birth but it won't make you Ben Johnson
You can lift weights from the womb but chances are you won't be as big as Ronnie Coleman.

Are you getting the picture?, if not here's one for you

So your saying that people can't train as hard as their body lets them because they'll never be the best in the world?
What a sad attitude to life you have

So your saying that people can't train as hard as their body lets them because they'll never be the best in the world?
What a sad attitude to life you have

Your reading comprehension is lacking

See you at the next Olympics

I'll never make the Olympics, I'm training to frequently to ever make progress
The body can only take a few hours of exercise a week, did nobody ever tell you?

I mean all the best athletes in the world train with high volume and high frequency
But they are all athletes, not regular people
We should be doing what every mediocre athlete that hasn't achieved anything is doing
That makes perfect sense