• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

splitting workout into two parts (same day)

So you or I would be at the Olympic level following the same training?

You would have a much better chance of getting to your genetic potential if you started following that training at 14 and gave it a solid 10+ years.

Jeezuz!

You blokes are good at going round in circles.

Graham, what exactly are you saying here?

Darkoz's question is valid.

Bazza
Some need to spend a lot more time training or honeing their skill than others this is true, spending time *throwing* weight is risky, spending more time is adding to the risk.

We need to define weight lifting and exercise.

I was referring to you saying that they were Olympic champions because of their training routine, therefore if we did the same training we could be the same.

The high frequency high volume approach to Weightlifting has been the only approach that has proven to consistently work

Find me a guy who become a World/Olympic champ training only up to 4 times a week and I may consider otherwise

This doesn't mean the training style will suit everyone or that it's a realistic method for most of us

But to get to the top of the tree in Weightlifting history would suggest it is the only way

Bazza
Some need to spend a lot more time training or honeing their skill than others this is true, spending time *throwing* weight is risky, spending more time is adding to the risk.

We need to define weight lifting and exercise.

If you want to get to your potential in lifting weights you are going to have to accept some risk.

Andy - who is going to be better at something : the guy performing whatever exercise it is 30 times a week or 100?

Kobe Bryant takes (or at least claims to) 1000(?) shots every day - are you going to tell him he's doing to much 'throwing'?

Some risk.

The closer you try and get to your strength potential the greater the risk, there is really no way around it.

Nobody could really believe that there is some way of training to a 200kg + clean and jerk that is risk free.

Andy - who is going to be better at something : the guy performing whatever exercise it is 30 times a week or 100?

Kobe Bryant takes (or at least claims to) 1000(?) shots every day - are you going to tell him he's doing to much 'throwing'?

If the "something" is a maximum clean and jerk the difference is dependent on the individual and how often he spends in the gym doing strength work extracting the raw material to improve his chances of reducing injury.

Well, you would tell Kobe Bryant to do more, lets pull a figure 1540 a day to improve his skill even more?

The closer you try and get to your strength potential the greater the risk, there is really no way around it.

Nobody could really believe that there is some way of training to a 200kg + clean and jerk that is risk free.

Didn't say risk free.

But a good coach will plan, should plan to keep the risk at a minimum while producing results required.

Didn't say risk free.

But a good coach will plan, should plan to keep the risk at a minimum while producing results required.

Nothing is risk free. I agree keeping risk to a minimum but as you push harder to get to upper levels of your potential you are going to have to accept greater levels of risk. It's part of the game. There is a trade off. Sure training with 50kgs 3 times a week will be very low
risk but your never going to the Olympics. Technique is very important in o lifting and takes many thousands of reps, each one has a risk but needs to be done if you want to get good. To get to the top you need to push the boundarys.

Reading some stuff about top powerlifters. They list off a shopping list of injures they have sustained, I am sure most top O lifters are the same. It's not what you want but it's probably going to happen when pushing yourself to the limit.

Ok I just realized this is posted in the "powerlifting" section so I now realize why hamburguler used "westside" as an example.

But as the op stated that he wanted to split his *workout* in two, he should indeed try it, but I'm really not sure what he is exercising for and at what stage he is at in terms of strength.

Ok I just realized this is posted in the "powerlifting" section so I now realize why hamburguler used "westside" as an example.

But as the op stated that he wanted to split his *workout* in two, he should indeed try it, but I'm really not sure what he is exercising for and at what stage he is at in terms of strength.

Exercising for strength and hypertrophy...
Want to also improve fitness and not add too much fat while gaining muscle

Squat is rubbish at 75kg x 5 (adductors weak) (started real squats a few weeks back)

Deadlifts lifted 120kg 3x5 so far, did 140 a while back, felt my form was bad, so dropped back to 5kg progression), only ever done about 60 sets with deadlifts..

Bench 95kg 3x5 (and 1x7)

Overhead press 52.5kg 3x5

Db bicep curls 30kg 3x5

So nothing impressive given I'm 110kg @ 6'1"

Circumstances currently mean my access to a power rack and barbell is a short period at lunchtime, will soon however have access to dumbbells and bench and exercise bike and kettlebells at home. So volume same as 1 proper workout, but split into 2 sessions

How much time can you actually spend in the gym nft?

At the point you are at, you know that those four exercises you listed are more than enough to biuld a lot of musclure bulk and strength.

You could do this everyday for short period scaling back as you progress in strength and size.

Tried 30s rest periods? Easily get your volume in. Just have to lower the weight a little.

I find waiting for the racks, carting the weight plates around etc take a decent chunk of time, and i only get 30 minutes of actual workout time once warmup and shower and 1km each way to work are taken into consideration...

I have plenty of time available in the evenings at home, but no space for a rack at present.

I fit in maybe 18 sets including warmup sets in my 30-40 minutes at present, I'll try shrinking the rest periods and see what i can fit in.

If i started going 5 days a week in a row, would i still want to keep increasing my weights by 5kg per session for squats/deadlifts and 2.5 for bench & press?