• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Social experiment

yeah music playing is insignificant to lifting but why listen to something crap when you can listen to music you llike. especially something with a lot of energy. it has no effect on what you lift but its enjoyable to listen to music you like when working out

Because I enjoy taking lifters out of their comfort zone.

Armando was telling me the story of David Rigert, who got maggoted before a World Championships. The next morning he went for a swim in the hotel pool.

There was a BB and weights beside the pool in this resort.

He got out, and in his sluggos and thongs, snatched the world record.

Its a similar theory to Fadis. Its fine when everything is going swell ( I'm bringing that word back), but things seldom go well at comps.

I hate lifters getting comfortable, and I dislike the music factor in training.

I'm going to follow Dolly Parton with Dean Martin.

My gym has talk radio in the morning and then dance / trance CD's get put on about lunch time. Creates two very, very different vibes.
I'm all for the latter (dance / tracne) although I would never, ever, listen to this stuff outside of the gym.
However, while lifting, just as a the tune is kicking in, can really perk me into action.

Shrek, I can assure you NOT A SINGLE commerical gym would play ANY trance music. It's all house and electro.

i wouldnt kn ow the difference either.

the dean martin would be good. fair enough with taking the lifters out of comfort zone. makes sense

Did you guys read my first post?

Those guys posted PB's and hoisted massive weights they never thought possible.

the music wont help you, it doesnt make you lift anything, its a distraction because plenty of people are focusing on it when they should be focusing on the job at hand.

If you need an outside force to get you angry so you can destroy a barbell with your bare teeth, what are you going to do if the musics not there?

the music wont help you, it doesnt make you lift anything, its a distraction because plenty of people are focusing on it when they should be focusing on the job at hand.

If you need an outside force to get you angry so you can destroy a barbell with your bare teeth, what are you going to do if the musics not there?

Well not me, because I only listen to the gym music in the gym which sometimes is not my taste. You're right, it is a form of distraction. I relax with no music, but others can't relax without it. I see music as a distraction when trying to relax.

Markos, you should try playing happyhard for a session. Although im sure that you still dont know what that is haha.

I don't think music would make me lift any different (my last PB was done without anymusic playing) I do listen to music when I have a session though (just have the stereo on in the back ground) but I imagine if I were listing to something really bad, say Oprah just as an example (nothing against it just not for me) I might feel distracted/annoyed because of it but I don't think it would have any bearing on my lifts

bagwork on the other hand I reckon its good to have music on you can get into rythem :)

Don`t listen to music.I listen to podcasts (science,news etc. when I`m resting) and put it down when I lift.Listening to music only puts me off.
The homo gym staff play ABBA on a loop and classical so I actually shut it out.

and people thought i was joing in my intro when i said i read in between sets.

Dolly Parton - you cruel bastard!

I disagree. Now I'm not a world record holder or
attempting to break any records in lifting weights.

However, research shows (I can point out if everyone
is interested) that music does enhance performance!
The reason is that the type ofmusic you listen to can
and does affect your 'mood' & "state of mind".

That is to say that the type of music you listen to affects
your brain waves. For example it's been proven that listening
to Beethoven, Baroque or Mozart makes your brain function at
the "alpha" mode. This increases learning and retention levels.

So by listening to a certain track makes you feel like you are
unbreakable and lift heavier....... then go for it!

Thanks
Devnate.

And with all due respect, it was proven that music played zero part in my lifters hitting PB's.

Its the reason I played Bee Gees then loaded up bars to ridiculous ammounts.

Thats what this thread is about. It was deliberate stunt on my behalf to show the lifters that if your truly concentrating on the job at hand, you wont notice the music.

With 250kg on your back, you can be pretty sure your concentrating.

I'm not sure someone doing 30kg BB curls would have the same level of concentration.

I'd go as far to say that those affected by music are not really giving it there all in the gym, and are lifting sub maximal weights.

Thats the point of this entire thread. It was MY experiment, with heavy weights, not a labcoats with fluff.