• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

situps are bad for your back?

I'm actually with Kyle on this, I've done next to no direct ab work for nearly 6 months and my abs and core are going strong. I might get in some hanging leg raises maybe once a month but other than that I get all my work from squat and deadlift variations and suspended bw tricep extensions (that's basically doing a plank but with tricep extensions thrown in). Zercher squats are awesome ab work IMO.

You have to remember that Kyle is talking about the average Joe who goes to the gym because he's stuck behind a desk all day, not wannabe powerlifters or bodybuilders (not that I'd suggest they do sit ups/crunches anyway).

Fuck doing side bends. Why would you want a blocky waste?

Oh yeah that's fine if you want to be a PL, but not for us BB' where asthetics are required.
Blocky wastes are taboo.

Oh yeah that's fine if you want to be a PL, but not for us BB' where asthetics are required.
Blocky wastes are taboo.

The blocky waste would go with your blocky head.

Blocky wastes are taboo.

trollface.png

I thought the pain was caused by a muscle imbalance? do more lowerback stuff.

But as far as sit-ups go they're only really functional if you do mma or something that involves grappling, otherwise they're just teaching you to curl up in a ball. Do rotational movements as it will build your obliques, that + squats & deads should do it just fine.

You have to remember that Kyle is talking about the average Joe who goes to the gym because he's stuck behind a desk all day, not wannabe powerlifters or bodybuilders (not that I'd suggest they do sit ups/crunches anyway).

Its even more important for an average joe to be doing direct ab work lol

Everyone should do diect ab work, direct hamstring work, direct lower back work etc....

And for Oli - honestly Bicep curlers would win easy - crossfitters are a bunce of pussies lol

Why?

If they're in the gym for 30 minutes you're not going to use half of that doing crunches unless your stupid or your abs are so weak you cant even support your body

lol - far out...

Why do u think there are so many back problems? - with everyone...weak core....

If your going to want to squat heavy, bench heavy, deadlift heavy you need to strengthen your core its as simple as that .....

Its more important at a beginner level to get it into ppls minds that you need to be doing direct core work - i.e abs, hamstrings, glutes, lower back.......

Whats being in the gym for 30 mins got to do with anything....

Here is a simple workout that I do myself - takes prob 45 mins - 1 hour:

squats - 3 x 3/5 x 5 - or max
lunges - 5 x 10m

glute ham raise - 5 x 10
rev hyper - 5 x 10 (banded or weighted)

side bend: 5 x 10 (each side)
leg raises: 3 x 20
situps: 1-2 x 100-200

Thats a pretty avg workout....anyone have a problem with that or would disagree with anything?

I would give this workout to a beginner to advanced lifter.

Looking around some journals ONE hamstring exercise and ONE abdominal exercise on squat day would take people much further than the million quad exercises they do. You don't need to rest more than a minute between sets, we're talking 5-10 minutes max...

Also who said anything about crunches? weighted sit ups, hanging leg raises where you bring your legs to the pull up bar and ab rollouts are where its at.

Are sit-ups bad for your back? No
Are they a good "ab" exercise? No

Are cruches a good "ab" exercise? Yes
Are they "bad" for your back? Yes and no

Treat this muscle like any other muscle in the body.

If you really feel the need to isolate that muscle, cruches are going to do it, just make sure the antagonist muscle recorded the same treatment.

One work set under load in a progressive manner for a period of time will garner a result.

It's not rocket surgery.

Deadlift floor to ceiling brah, completely naked whilst a bunch of midgets pelt me with rocks. 140% RAWZ - no ab work, only SQUATS AND OATZ!