• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

situps are bad for your back?

Kyle, can you do this situp with your 100kg-squat, 100kg-deadlift strong abs? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOjLelKGP-M]YouTube - Jackie Chan Drunken Master training[/ame]

People who say oh you only need to do your compound movements for ab work i.e squat/bench/dead are kidding themselves - you NEED TO DO DIRECT AB WORK.......stronger abs mean stronger back.

I didn't say you shouldn't do direct ab work if you wanted to, or felt it was a weakness holding you back. I simply said that it was unnecessary for most people; compound exercises with correct posture and bracing were sufficient.

I said situps were a less than ideal way of working your abs. Compound exercises with good posture and bracing are best, if you have a particular weakness there then prone brace and its many variations would be better. If we have two different exercises, both of which work the same muscles, one offers a risk of injury, the other one much less risk of injury, then the choice is obvious. Of course I realise it makes you feel macho and manly to do exercises risking injury.

If you want to hang upside down and sit right up, go ahead, give it a go. I don't really see what the fuck the point of that would be, it's about as useful in day-to-day life and sports as the typical swiss ball exercise. But if that's what you want to do, go ahead. Be sure to write us from the orthopaedic ward in the hospital and tell us how you went.

People who say oh you only need to do your compound movements for ab work i.e squat/bench/dead are kidding themselves - you NEED TO DO DIRECT AB WORK.......stronger abs mean stronger back.

It's all macho bullshit really, squatting until you spit blood.

I'd be very careful prescribing squatting as a means to strengthen that area.

Heavy side-bends are also another under rated exercise.

Be a cowboy, rough and tough, prepared for anything.

It's all macho bullshit really, squatting until you spit blood.

I'd be very careful prescribing squatting as a means to strengthen that area.

Heavy side-bends are also another under rated exercise.

Be a cowboy, rough and tough, prepared for anything.

The last thing on my mind when squating, deadlifting or benching is how that exercise will strengthen my abs - I squat to get a bigger squat, I dead to dead more and bench to bench more.

I do ab work to strengthen abs - pretty simple....

EVERYONE should do direct ab work from beginner to advanced lifter and no1 should just do squats/bench/dead for ab work.

Yea mate side bends are great - do a shit load of them!

I had a stuffed back for years. Seen doctors, physios and chiropractors. They all say strengthen your abs to strengthen your back. For me it was a load of shit. All direct ab work did was hurt my back.

My thoughts if you want a stronger back strengthen your back.

If it was lower back then you need to strengthen abs, lower back, hamstrings, glutes - they all tie in with eachother - called your "core"

Also tight hamstrings/quads and/or glutes will mess your lower back - everything needs to be strong and stretched in this area or your looking for an injury....

If you dont have strong abs/core then you will prob at some point have lower back/back problems...no way around it.

I had a stuffed back for years. Seen doctors, physios and chiropractors. They all say strengthen your abs to strengthen your back. For me it was a load of shit. All direct ab work did was hurt my back.

My thoughts if you want a stronger back strengthen your back.

Muscles work in antagonistic pairs

When one contracts the other is relaxed.
A strong muscle through it's full rom is a flexible one.

If you do direct work to the tummy, you also are required to find an exercise that will generally isolate the erectors, not easy.

The squat does not efficiently work these areas.

If it was lower back then you need to strengthen abs, lower back, hamstrings, glutes - they all tie in with eachother - called your "core"

Also tight hamstrings/quads and/or glutes will mess your lower back - everything needs to be strong and stretched in this area or your looking for an injury....

If you dont have strong abs/core then you will prob at some point have lower back/back problems...no way around it.

God I hate the word core. Yes it was my lower back. I did every type of stretching and strengthening but for some reason docs and physios don't want to perscribe lower back strengthening. Once I started doing lower back exercises years of pain went away in weeks. I think that too much work on the abs and not enough on the lower back is a big cause of back pain.

The last thing on my mind when squating, deadlifting or benching is how that exercise will strengthen my abs - I squat to get a bigger squat, I dead to dead more and bench to bench more.

I do ab work to strengthen abs - pretty simple....

EVERYONE should do direct ab work from beginner to advanced lifter and no1 should just do squats/bench/dead for ab work.

Yea mate side bends are great - do a shit load of them!

x2 (10char)

If you want to hang upside down and sit right up, go ahead, give it a go. I don't really see what the fuck the point of that would be, it's about as useful in day-to-day life and sports as the typical swiss ball exercise. But if that's what you want to do, go ahead. Be sure to write us from the orthopaedic ward in the hospital and tell us how you went.

believe it or not abs work in flexation.

God I hate the word core. Yes it was my lower back. I did every type of stretching and strengthening but for some reason docs and physios don't want to perscribe lower back strengthening. Once I started doing lower back exercises years of pain went away in weeks. I think that too much work on the abs and not enough on the lower back is a big cause of back pain.

Lower backs are notoriously slow to recover and tend to get hit very hard in squats and deadlifts. Hamstrings are the prime mover in squats imo and abdominals are an area that are often ignored because sit ups and hanging leg raises are hard to do.

Notice how every westside lower body template looks like this?

Main lift (ME/DE)
Hamstring exercise
Ab exercise

Lower backs are notoriously slow to recover and tend to get hit very hard in squats and deadlifts. Hamstrings are the prime mover in squats imo and abdominals are an area that are often ignored because sit ups and hanging leg raises are hard to do.

Notice how every westside lower body template looks like this?

Main lift (ME/DE)
Hamstring exercise
Ab exercise

Hamstrings are the prime mover

Please elucidate. I'm interested in your thoughts.

Kyle, I don't know what kool-aid you've been drinking but squat & deadlift are not the be-all end-all, although some may talk about them in that manner.

My point was that the hanging situp is way harder on your abs than a sissy 100kg squat and deadlift.

Personally I do Ab Wheel for my abs once a week. Squat & deadlift may work my abs but that's nothing compared to the Wheel of Death. Besides, stronger abs equal better squat and deadlift.

Hamstrings are the prime mover

Please elucidate. I'm interested in your thoughts.

Whilst I'm not a big fan of 'weakpoints' the hamstrings really give the initial kick out of the hole in the squat and break from the floor in the deadlift which is where most people get stuck. Things like good mornings and GHRs have a carryover in a way that leg presses and lunges just don't. Powersports would know more than me.

Oliver, also-why do you think the erectors are slow to recover?

My experience and a lot of the talk you see from vets, professionals and program design. They tend to take a knock in the squat and deadlift and if you're doing any hamstring assistance exercise (good mornings, GHRs, SLDs etc) they'll take a hit again.

Why? thats what it is lol

The fitness industry has created 2 groups now - neither of them which I like - you have the fitness first bicep monkeys and now you have the squats,deadlifts and bench nothing else, ass to grass, squats do everything cowboys that dont take things on.

Training is a science, you need to be smart with it to get anywhere and not limit your thoughts....

Why? thats what it is lol

The fitness industry has created 2 groups now - neither of them which I like - you have the fitness first bicep monkeys and now you have the squats,deadlifts and bench nothing else, ass to grass, squats do everything cowboys that dont take things on.

Training is a science, you need to be smart with it to get anywhere and not limit your thoughts....

if all the bro curlers and crossfitters got into a fight who do you think would win?