• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shoulders

Rix

What's the best way to hit your Lateral Delts.

Every time I work my shoulders I feel the burn so to speak but my lateral delts never get pumped regardless of my workout. My Ant and Post get huge and have been growing nicely so I'm able to lift slightly heavier weights. However my Lat Delts are weak as shit...And it's not like I HATE doing my shoulders like most people, I LOVE working my shoulders, I can hit them harder and more intensely than any other body part, it's my best exercise!

Upright Row and Lateral Raises:

My Upright Row is 12.5Kgx12 Reps, struggling with 11/12th rep.
BUT my Lat Raise is only 5Kgx8 reps any more reps and I start arching. I've even taken to using 1 arm at a time rather than both for better motion control.

Should I drop the weight to say 4kg and aim for perfect form for 12 reps or maintain 5kg Lateral Raise until I get to 12 reps keeping good form?

Thx :)

Have you tried putting something heavy above your head.....

.....or eating chicken and beef at the same time.

Last edited:
What does your shoulder workout look like ?

Try 3x8 db rear delt raise superset with db side raise 2u 3d

Last edited:
Full shoulder workout:

Front Raise 3 sets
Lateral Raise 3 sets
Upright Row 3 sets
Shoulder Press 3 sets
Incline Lying Raise 3 sets
Rear Delt Row 3 sets
Shrugs 3 Sets

Too much shoulder work

Ed zachery

Two exercises that I like doing is lateral raises and any form of pressing.

When pressing, doing it standing and not seated, using dumbbells over a barbell.

Lateral raises using a machine of some sort, as a Pre-fatigue before pressing.

Lateral raises enable one to move the shoulder over a greater range of motion compared to the conventional pressing overhead.

Drop the upright rows.

I only use DB and do all the sets standing. No machines as I work out at home.

So drop the upright row and continue lateral raises, got it :)

That's quite a bit of shoulder work! They'll get hit generously with other compounds, but you can try some rear delt raises / bent over laterals. Upright won't do much to hit your rears. Besides, they can be nasty for your shoulders

I don't train any other body part other than my shoulders during this workout...Still too much? What should I drop?

Incline Lying Raise 3 sets (Don't know the specific name but I do this on the incline --->) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fK93Ul0da8"]ShoulderPerformance.com: Prone 1-arm Trap Raise - YouTube[/ame] ~ Stricly speaking these are very similar to rear delt raise no? And work the middle/lower traps and post delts?

I'd look at dropping these....

Front Raise
Upright Row
Shrugs
Incline Lying Raise

Virtually all upper body exercises will work the shoulders so you don't need a lot of specific exercises targetting them.

A standing pressing movement and bent over laterals using dumbells for instance would work the shoulders thoroughly.

Last edited:
Try BTN presses like Bazza said... on the basis he's actually pretty strong... if they don't cause pain. Otherwise I would make your main shoulder movement military presses, concentrate on getting strong on these, with some accessory work.

Also, looks like you have a bit too much volume for your strength level there...
At the moment I do:
Military press x 3 sets, 5 reps of 60kg
Side lateral raise: 3 sets of 6 reps at 12.5kg (dumbells, strict form) (btw progress on this exercise I think for most people is really slow)
Band pull aparts: 3 working sets.

I might add a set or two or take away one from the above...

A while ago I was doing 3 sets of 40kg on press, 2 sets of 5kg dumbell laterals, 2.5kg (yes, 2.5kg was my starting weight) reverse dumbell flyes. So that worked for me. I do these on "chest/shoulder day" which means they come after bench press sets.

I just made this workout up and haven't changed it cause it's worked... I would also welcome any criticism/suggestions, not that it still isn't working.... When I find something that works I go by the advice I read once which goes something like 'stop reading, would you rather be smarter or stronger - keep doing what you're doing if it works'.

Last edited:
Agree with the above - the regime Goosey mentioned has been all I've been doing for shoulders for a while (although I find lateral raise machines to be a little one-size-doesn't-fit-all).

Otherwise, I've stuck with:

1. Light rotator cuff work to warm up (introducing this has helped my shoulders significantly).
2. Press (preferably DB)
3. Lateral raise.
4. Bent over raise.

3 sets of each - heavy on the press, lighter on the raises.

If you're someone who likes to mix it up, you can change the order as you like eg pre-fatigue with either lateral or bent over, then press and finish with the other raise. Or press first then switch the order of the raises.

Every so often you can swap in some front raises for either lateral or bent overs. However, my shoulders have been a lot healthier since I've stopped that - bench seems to nail them sufficiently.

Also, upright rows - just don't feel right and there's a reason why.

FYI
This is what I mean by Pre-exhausting and the ROM differences between the lateral raise and press.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtBzDqYIYZU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

I just gave that a quick try using a DB bar to check the motion dynamics compared to that of the machine and I reckon that will do the trick!!!!

FYI
This is what I mean by Pre-exhausting and the ROM differences between the lateral raise and press.

Why do you pre-exhaust?

He's using 5kg dumbells for laterals which suggests beginner to me, I wouldn't think anything special is required.

Fuck this shit annoys me. OP military press till you have a 20kg plate on each side of the bar and can get 10 reps out with no leg drive.

Then look in the mirror and like magic impressive shoulders.