• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shin splints- advice?

A proper set of running shoes with heel counters. Get an old bicycle tyre tube to use as resistance and do plantarflexion and dorsiflexion. Or better still see a physio as they actually know what their talking about.

A few things you can try before seeing a physio are icing then 20 min on 20 min off, a new decent pair of running shoes, and try if you can uunning on softer surfaces like grass instead of concrete.

Any advice for shin splints?

First thing is stop running for a week or two to have a chance to recover. Then slowly ease back into it. I think you said you were getting fit for footy in another post. You have probably gone to hard to soon. Rest now or the problem will get worse and annoy you for the rest of the season.

Where you running on hard surfaces. That will give you shin splints especially to heavier people. When you get back to running find a nice oval to run around.

First thing is stop running for a week or two to have a chance to recover. Then slowly ease back into it. I think you said you were getting fit for footy in another post. You have probably gone to hard to soon. Rest now or the problem will get worse and annoy you for the rest of the season.

Where you running on hard surfaces. That will give you shin splints especially to heavier people. When you get back to running find a nice oval to run around.

Good advice there... Also look at your running technique, if you are heel striking you are more susceptible to shin splints.

Assuming this is an ongoing issue I would address three things:

Change your shoes
Exercise the muscle to strengthen
Investigate you running style

If it isn't, heed bazza20's advice.

Vibram 5 fingers

Simple wear these shoes and get used to running correctly. I suffered terribly with shin splints I was even turned down for the armed forces because of them. I started wearing these about 4 months ago, haven't had even a hint of a shin splint since!

They force you to run in a way that normal running shoes with plenty of padding do not, there is no more heel stomping or rolling of the foot in or out because it’s just too damn uncomfortable to do so, making you run with a much better foot/ankle/knee position.

So perhaps give them a try and see how you go?

The muscles in your lower leg are too weak. Strengthen them. Common sense really. Rest won't help unless you've done something stupid like upping your weekly running volume dramatically. Take nurofen and train through it. Get vibrams too.

I got a bout of shin splints when I went too much too soon. I was impatient to reach my goal of running 15K - problem is, when the endorphin hits you don't realise the body isn't ready to break PB's every week. RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation (I didnt do the E bit so its more like RIC lol. But it worked).

Ouch shin splints!
I remember having them so bad that my legs would shake after training.
Rubbing ice cubes up and down my shins helped, so did stretching them and I remember our Physio strapping them somehow to get thru it....

my causes:
using footy boots
weak calves big quads
running with heels
huge volume of running increase lately due to pre season

So using your advice:
I already use good shoes
strengthen calves daily
ice daily
stretch daily
run on grass more
use toes instead of heels

Reduce the amount of running and supplement it with some sort of non-impact training such as bike or swimming. That way you can still improve your fitness while developing your running.

I had them when I was you get and still playing lots of footy, tried everything, had lots of work done on them, they just never went away... Until I stopped playing, and stopped running!! I also have tendinitis in my Achilles, and both flare up if I run longer distances, a few times a week, I have no problems when lifting or doing short cardio like sprinting though

1. Reduce training load and steadily increase.
2. Use appropriate footwear and running surfaces.
3. Frequent calf stretches (straight-leg and bent)- the more the better.
4. Massage areas of tenderness on anterior shin (both longitudinally and transverse).
5. Ice after use.
6. Neural stretches.