• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Friend was asking me about a long sheiko cycle. Has 5 months til next comp. Was thinking 37,37,29,37,32. 29 being a very slight deload. From what I've seen most people run 12 week cycles and restart with new maxes. Has anyone done longer cycles?

I can't imaging making it 5 months without getting injured haha.

I'd put a skills evaluation in the middle, personally
Or instead of 29, something that has you going up to 90% a few times that month, but lower volume

5 months is too long. You run these cycles together 16 weeks max, and if you were doing it that way, you wouldn't be running the vanilla 29, 37 templates earlier in the cycle, you'd be doing something more foundational like some of the off season cycles, before moving to more specificity closer to the comp.

Personally, I would run 37, 37, small deload, mock comp to test maxes, then run 37, 37, 32 running the new maxes. Precisely how you do this depends on the exact number of weeks leading up to comp. Ideally, I would prefer to compete more regularly than every 5 months if possible. Invaluable practice and fun.

5 months is too long. You run these cycles together 16 weeks max, and if you were doing it that way, you wouldn't be running the vanilla 29, 37 templates earlier in the cycle, you'd be doing something more foundational like some of the off season cycles, before moving to more specificity closer to the comp.

Personally, I would run 37, 37, small deload, mock comp to test maxes, then run 37, 37, 32 running the new maxes. Precisely how you do this depends on the exact number of weeks leading up to comp. Ideally, I would prefer to compete more regularly than every 5 months if possible. Invaluable practice and fun.

I've run 24 weeks, not dead yet :p

I'm thinking about running Sheiko, and have some questions.

37 looks like a good routine for me for bench only, the weights look ok if I up my max to 140 (gym best is 130 paused, 135kg tng a week or two ago, 140kg a while ago after Smolov). At 105kg bodyweight I'm guessing a CMS or Sheiko bench only routine might be overkill?

For squats and deads I'm going to do a PTC beginner style routine in place of the Sheiko slots for them since my best squat is 120kg, best dead now is 190kg. Quad tear and numerous knee/back injuries have hampered progress.

I'm going to add weighted chins to the routine on Friday as well as some Military presses. Probably 5x5 for both, with some bodyweight chin ups on Monday. A few brobuilding exercises (laterals etc.) throughout the week.

Could anyone offer criticism / advice? Does that look ok?

Also "37, 37, small deload, mock comp to test maxes, then run 37, 37, 32 running the new maxes" looks good.

Last edited:
You'd make great gains just alternating 37 with 31
You'll be too fatigued to hurt your lower body, I'd rather do buttloads of submax work that hit hard heavy rep sets

Random drop in but there is an official boris sheiko forum now worth a look to get your questions answered by many of man who have run this

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Random drop in but there is an official boris sheiko forum now worth a look to get your questions answered by many of man who have run this

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'm a mod there too so you can ask questions in either forum. Between 0ni, me, and a few others you'll get most of your questions answered.

Check out the new variations of 37, 30, 31 and 32 posted there. Essentially, for under 80kg lifters, Boris suggests running 37, a modified version of 30, 32 in sequence. For over 80kg lifters it gets interesting. He has posted a modified version of 37, 31 and 32. It is much lower volume, less warmup reps and sets and not many double squat days. It looks a lot more streamlined. Deadlift in particular is lower volume. The skills test is also spread out over 2 days. The justification for all of this is that heavier guys can't handle the same volume as lighter guys and need more recovery. That makes sense and matches what I have experienced myself and heard from other people who have trained using the traditional internet templates. In particular I always did better on lower volume/higher intensity deadlift than what the old 37 template had.