• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Good info Oni.

"The first stage is the powerlifer's accommodation to the growing
volume and intensity of the loading. A yearly rise in both with
contribute to the powerlifter's improvement and last an average of 6
years. The second stage is defined by a *relatively* stable yearly
volume but a yearly increase in intensity. A direct correlation exists
between intensity and one's total but while such a correlation between
volume and total is not supported."

The recommendations for
volume are as follows. Novices = 700, class 3 = 900, class 2-1 = 1K,
CMS = 1.1k, MS = 1.25k, MSIC = 1.7k. This is total number of reps done
with the bar over 49%

These rep ranges are per month right not per cycle? I see some of the CMS ones seem to be 6 weeks.

Yeah they are month volumes
What I want to know though, is if this is an average.
I suspect it is an average. So when making a 12 or 16 week cycle, include the taper and increase the volume across the other cycles? I have no idea really. I'm trying to find a copy of Medyevdev's book

hmm...

from what I can see 32 had 543 lifts, 29 has 981, MS comp has 842. All the rest are well over 1000.

I think it would be beneficial to keep the cycles roughly around the average
Then increase volume massively 8 weeks out
Then run the comp program

Maybe [MENTION=5418]Spritcha[/MENTION]; or [MENTION=5361]El Freako[/MENTION]; can shed light on this

at the Seminar he as very big in the key intensity %.

simply put his philosophy was you need "intensity and recovery", without enough recovery your gains will be less than optimal

over the combined strength and power phases your intensity should average 72% +/- 2%.

how to work that out is simply maths

he went as far to say Powerlifting is applied maths

multiply your reps per set x the weight, add all of these weights per cycle then divide by total number of reps to get an average weight lifted, then divide by your max and bingo, you have your average intensity.

it is a little but more complicated, and your average intensity in the strength phase should be closer to 69% while your average in the power phase should be closer to 75%, but overall it should be 72 +/-2%

end of last cycle the maths took close to an hour and much to my surprise I was around 74%, as I spent too long on power and not enough strength

Does anyone else feel like they are sandbagging a bit with the lower intensity (I've only done 29 and 37 so far). I've had days where I've done one sets of squats, then benched and then had 3 sets of 5 to go and was running low on time and just did 1 set of 15. I understand that it is meant to create a specific adaptation based on bar speed etc but that just seems excessive to me. Would have been same total volume and intensity (relative to 1rm) but at the end I actually felt like I did something.
And maybe that is saying something about how the programs really are just templates. Yesterday I was meant to do 5 sets of 2 at 170kg (with wraps). I did my first set (without wraps) and it seemed pretty easy so I kept increasing until I got to 200x2 and dropped back. I just wonder at what point I would stop calling it a sheiko program I guess as that is a fair difference to what is programmed. (using actual maxes based off testing 2 weeks ago but not deadlifting because of back injury recovery)
If I understand correctly Terry, as long as the relative intensity of the whole block is within those %'s (depending on phase) then it shouldn't really matter.

Does anyone else feel like they are sandbagging a bit with the lower intensity (I've only done 29 and 37 so far). I've had days where I've done one sets of squats, then benched and then had 3 sets of 5 to go and was running low on time and just did 1 set of 15. I understand that it is meant to create a specific adaptation based on bar speed etc but that just seems excessive to me. Would have been same total volume and intensity (relative to 1rm) but at the end I actually felt like I did something.
And maybe that is saying something about how the programs really are just templates. Yesterday I was meant to do 5 sets of 2 at 170kg (with wraps). I did my first set (without wraps) and it seemed pretty easy so I kept increasing until I got to 200x2 and dropped back. I just wonder at what point I would stop calling it a sheiko program I guess as that is a fair difference to what is programmed. (using actual maxes based off testing 2 weeks ago but not deadlifting because of back injury recovery)
If I understand correctly Terry, as long as the relative intensity of the whole block is within those %'s (depending on phase) then it shouldn't really matter.

You're supposed to do this in Sheiko. Running them as-is is silly.
You need to modify them for your own needs. I am strong off the bottom in every lift but the lift always "dies". I have trouble keeping speed and grinding this means. So I need more reps per set and a higher RPE. What happens when you do a 5RM? The last 3 reps are often very slow and grindy which is exactly what I need to practice.

So I took a cycle with the volume I wanted, then kept the percentages the same while adding an extra rep per set but doing one less set. Now it's just right for my stage in training. How many sets and reps you need and the intensity of the top sets is easy to figure out, all you need to do is look at a video

yep, makes sense. Just wasn't sure how far you can modify it before it's not really anything like the original I guess. I like your idea there though. Need to tinker.

Yeah they are month volumes
What I want to know though, is if this is an average.
I suspect it is an average. So when making a 12 or 16 week cycle, include the taper and increase the volume across the other cycles? I have no idea really. I'm trying to find a copy of Medyevdev's book

Yeah I'm not sure on that but its a good guess.

ya the squat, you're the same as me, good speed but then you die, the wraps magnify this. basically you need lots of wrapless squatting, to get used to grinding. and 3-4 reps ata 9.5-10rpe

Bench is very balanced, stick with the plan here

deadlift is the same, maybe less reps, more speed type work here. 1-2 reps left in the tank, 2-3 reps per set

"The first stage is the powerlifer's accommodation to the growing
volume and intensity of the loading. A yearly rise in both with
contribute to the powerlifter's improvement and last an average of 6
years. The second stage is defined by a *relatively* stable yearly
volume but a yearly increase in intensity. A direct correlation exists
between intensity and one's total but while such a correlation between
volume and total is not supported."

The recommendations for
volume are as follows. Novices = 700, class 3 = 900, class 2-1 = 1K,
CMS = 1.1k, MS = 1.25k, MSIC = 1.7k. This is total number of reps done
with the bar over 49%

Just calculated 1507 reps in my first 4 weeks of my new cycle. Niiiiiiiice :cool:

ya the squat, you're the same as me, good speed but then you die, the wraps magnify this. basically you need lots of wrapless squatting, to get used to grinding. and 3-4 reps ata 9.5-10rpe

Bench is very balanced, stick with the plan here

deadlift is the same, maybe less reps, more speed type work here. 1-2 reps left in the tank, 2-3 reps per set

Thanks mate.

Bench is very balanced at being shit :D

Oh and I MUCH prefer sumo deadlift. Stronger, more efficient, feels more natural but still letting the hip flexors rest a bit. I got 235 after this sumo and possibly could have pulled it for a double. But I train all conventional to rest hips and want to just use sumo in comp.

I'll upload some things for you tomorrow, I have a few DVDs that explain everything

How are you managing to do one set of 15 at 80%?
Or have you already done your skills test, in which case that section is meant to be a deload.