• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Severe Lower Back DOMS

I'm going to have a completely different tack from everyone and say you sound like your overtraining your lower back.

You do 3x5 squats and deadlifts every session, which you work to a PR. Along with that you might have 6 or so other exercises that are going to smash your back depending on what you do (eg stiff legs, bent rows, hack squats etc etc). Thats all fine at beginners weights, but you're not lifting beginners weights anymore and it sounds like you're getting smashed.

I think you either need to periodise or rotate exercises more often like westside/doggcrapp do. Most pros use models like PPP or 5/3/1 where they work to a max over a period of weeks which makes recovery a hell of a lot more easier. Conversely some pros max out every session, but most of them use singles (which are going to accumulate far less fatigue than 3x5) and rotate exercises weekly to prevent getting fried as opposed to running one lift week in week out.

Id pick one of those methods.

You are fairly close to the money.

My training is quite basic.

Legs/shoulders for example-
Squats
50% effort x 9
75% effort x 7
Max effort x 5 x 3

Hamstring curl, calf raises, seated DB shoulder press and BB shrugs, all the same rep range, that's in, in and out in 45 mins.

For Back it's Weighted chins, deads, T-Bar rows, lat pulldown and curls, again all done in 45 mins.

I have found it's got worse the less I do, not sure what I should change because I am only really doing 1 major lift that smashes the lower back per workout, not sure how I could do any less?

Along with Nick, if not technique then I am guessing it's postural. Post vids with sideview, or come visit one of us at our gyms.

You are fairly close to the money.

My training is quite basic.

Legs/shoulders for example-
Squats
50% effort x 9
75% effort x 7
Max effort x 5 x 3

Hamstring curl, calf raises, seated DB shoulder press and BB shrugs, all the same rep range, that's in, in and out in 45 mins.

For Back it's Weighted chins, deads, T-Bar rows, lat pulldown and curls, again all done in 45 mins.

I have found it's got worse the less I do, not sure what I should change because I am only really doing 1 major lift that smashes the lower back per workout, not sure how I could do any less?

You could train in a way that you're only maxing out for one set eg:

4x10 Deadlift (70%, 80%, 90%, PR)
- Chins
- Rows
- Pulldowns

OR probably what I'd do is merely take a program like 5/3/1 or PPP for your main lifts and just adapt your assistance work to how you train now so your cycling the main lifts. Eg:

5/3/1 Deadlift
- Chins
- Rows
- Pull downs

5/3/1 Squat
- Leg press
- Leg curl
- Calves

I'd use a 'leg', 'chest', 'back', 'shoulders and arms' template.

Along with Nick, if not technique then I am guessing it's postural. Post vids with sideview, or come visit one of us at our gyms.
I have been thinking about that for a while, I will contact you in the new year for a private session.

Edit: thanks for the tip Oli, I only just started these program 3 weeks ago (at the end of my cut) and wanna slowly (every 3 weeks) increase weight by 2.5kg, to very gradually work up the weights, I consider this more realistic because like you said. I am passed the point of adding weight every session.

Cheers guys

Last edited:
Edit: thanks for the tip Oli, I only just started these program 3 weeks ago (at the end of my cut) and wanna slowly (every 3 weeks) increase weight by 2.5kg, to very gradually work up the weights, I consider this more realistic because like you said. I am passed the point of adding weight every session.

Cheers guys

I don't want to be a pain but the program with that kind of thing isn't going to help a great deal.

Eg, say your top deadlift is 200kg for 3x5. You decide you'll cycle back 20kg and gradually build up to where you were over 8 weeks (2.5kg/wk). On paper it looks like you've been conservative, but everything you've done is over 90% of your max 3x5.

On the other hand, if you're doing 5/3/1 and deadlifting you've got a week where you're doing 85% (and no more), 90% (and no more), 95% (and no more) and a weeks break where you're doing 60% (and no more).

Just a little update.

I went to the Osteopath yesterday, turns out I am super tight all through my hammies, glutes, groin, hip flexors etc and because of this when I squat / dead I was taking ALL the strain on my lower back.

She gave me a very good stretch and I feel a million dollars today, turns out due to my tightness in all my muscles, I wasn't sharing the strain around, and giving it all to my lower back, and doubling the work/doms, I'm going back on Wednesday for my stretching program.

Fkn psyched!!!

Just a little update, still having issues...

Turns out it was a mild lower back compression issue, whenever I put a bar on my back with over 140kg something was compressing in my extreme lower back/hips and causing stiffness, now that it's been identified I have obviously cut out all squats, deads etc and it is getting better slowly, the Osteo is giving me new exercises too keep it fresh.

Not sure when I will squat again, too scarred this will start all over again...

Thanks mate, I still can train hard and do almost everything, pain free etc, just sucks I know something is NQR and it's taking so long... The other day I did 45kg per hand DB shoulder presses, when I swung the weight to my shoulders to catch it, I felt my back twinge and had a minor flare up... Quite frustrating, I'm gonna be out of the squat game for a while.

A lot of times pain in the lower back is related to tightness in the legs when stretching your lower back also try to take the extra time to stretch your legs this should help out a lot