• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

safe tanning?

In theory, i think you are right.

The body produces melanin when exposed to UV and the melanin protects the body by absorbing solar radiation.

So in theory, you should be safer in the sun after using this as well, if it naturally increases your melanin levels.

The question is, is it safe to increase your melanin levels artificially in this way, above the level that your genetics predetermine?

One would assume safer then smashing it with UV radiation..

People just bitch and winge about anything that needs to be injected.

One would assume safer then smashing it with UV radiation..

People just bitch and winge about anything that needs to be injected.

Pretty much lol

How permanent is the tan you achieve from this stuff tho? Or do you pretty much have to keep using it for as long as you want the tan?

And do you just keep getting darker and darker, or do you use it to the point you reach the colour you desire and then slow down or what?

I imagine it'd get costly if you have to use it permanently, although probably not that much more than getting constant spray tans, or bronzers or whatever.

Drom the little bits i read last night, it seems like it works. Melanotan 1 is the first product they made, called 'Afamelanotide', then they made Melanotan 2 which suppresses apitite and increases libido. Need normal sunlight/UV to improve the tan. Makes moles/freckles go dark brown/black. Had a few uni trials done but still not recommended by any of the drug bodies.

My source was manly wiki, or whatever came up in the first page of google....

I'm still not 100% sure about the melanotan. Apparently the darkening of freckles/moles can be permanent, which means that when the tan fades they become even more prominent. And I'm still not sure about how you are actually meant to dose the stuff either.

And apparently once you mix it in the vials, it only stays good for like 2 weeks or something in the fridge.

I'm also not sure how you ensure that you get an even tan, as apparently darker areas of your body (ie those more exposed to UV normally), will get proportionally darker than other areas. So I guess you just lay out in the sun with your lower legs and upper arms covered??

I'm also not sure how you ensure that you get an even tan, as apparently darker areas of your body (ie those more exposed to UV normally), will get proportionally darker than other areas. So I guess you just lay out in the sun with your lower legs and upper arms covered??

You think too much...

So dont do it.

I know I do, I overanalyse everything too.

But I just want to be cautious. Don't want to fuck anything up for the sake of vanity....

Or end up looking like a clown either..

But I do want to be darker....

A mate is doing it now... It doesnt look right personally, but it looks alot better then "fake" tan..

And alot better then casper...

Problem is you have to keep it up or else and the $$$

Hopefully, there are no side effects to this.

amazing-farmers-tan.jpg

A mate is doing it now... It doesnt look right personally, but it looks alot better then "fake" tan..

And alot better then casper...

Problem is you have to keep it up or else and the $$$

From what I've read, you can basically 'choose' the colour you want, just step down to maintenance dosage when you are happy. I guess the risk here is that you can overshoot it, or just lose objectivity. In any case, the effects aren't permanent as you point out, so I would probably just ease into it and see how it goes. Could go onto maintenance for a few weeks, then up the dose again if I feel I'm not dark enough.

You aren't wrong about the $$$, although it still works out cheaper than tanning salons/solariums etc, plus it is more even and natural looking (apparently) and probably safer too.

Hopefully, there are no side effects to this.

amazing-farmers-tan.jpg

Dear god, how the hell is that even possible?? Lower legs are usually the darkest!!

Hmm thanks for the extra info Pistachio.

Dosage is per body weight apparently, but only a guy on youtube said that, something like 1g/1mg per 10kgs of bodyweight or something. I also would wonder how maintenance would work, if you could just do it every fortnight or just lower the dosage weekly, for when you don't want a 'full tan'...

Guess i got more reading to do...

PS: that pic, you got to bloody wonder.... how the hell do you have such white legs when your torso and arms are almost black..

Melanotan is still very much in the testing stages. I have heard reports regarding side effects which have sounded pretty bad. I know a bodybuilder who is dark as and told me about it, he said he was originally a red head. I do think this could be the future provided more testing is done. This could become a huge product, as I said it is still very much in its early stages of testing.

This is a contentious issue and one that affects many bodybuilders and fitness buffs. NSW is phasing out tanning beds over the next few years and I suspect Qld will soon follow. From what I have researched on the subject much of the evidence regarding tanning beds appears to be endorsed by vested interests who seem more interested in promoting sunscreans and fake tans. Certain skin types probably are not suitable for tanning beds however when used in moderation and with sensible skincare they can be beneficial in Vitamin D prodution. A new trend is emerging which may or may not be safe called Melanotan, many bodybuilders, models and entertainers are using it, although it is possibly bought illegally.

Melanotan is still very much in the testing stages. I have heard reports regarding side effects which have sounded pretty bad. I know a bodybuilder who is dark as and told me about it, he said he was originally a red head. I do think this could be the future provided more testing is done. This could become a huge product, as I said it is still very much in its early stages of testing.

It has been in testing since the 80's.. not really in the 'early' stages of testing per sae

PS: that pic, you got to bloody wonder.... how the hell do you have such white legs when your torso and arms are almost black..

a magical contraption called 'pants'. you should try them some time :)

my dads back is the same... its like leather :eek: cept he wore shorts a lot so legs werent as bad.

If I use SPF30+, will I still get a tan?
I wish to selectively tan, eg less on my arms and more on the chest as that needs to catch up by a few shades. So I was thinking apply more on arms and leave the chest au naturale.