• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I don't think cost has anything to do with GPC's growing numbers, nor the fact they do not test.

GPC should go well over 400 competing members in the next 6-8 weeks, 450 by time nationals rolls round.

I think the growing numbers for GPC is due to it being something abit different - its exciting and the people running it and the people involved have a crazy intense passion for what they are doing which rolls through the whole fed....

I find it very very strange that Wilks wont even tell people how many members PA have - he is his own worse enemy from what I have seen.....

I think the growth of GPC has important reasons, as suggested by Sticky.

That is why I have spent many, many hours writing this piece, which hopefully will be published in the overseas journal.

While I do support drug testing, I merely want to illustrate all the factors that would help explain why a new fed GPC has grown dramatically.

I, albeit aI m just an older and ordinary lifter, resigned from CAPO in August 2012 and indicated to Wilks was going to join PA once my injuries improved (serious stress fracture of femur at time).

Once Wilks went on tv and radio, that is when the motivation began to go through with a research article on Australian powerlifting.

I agree with sticky to a considerable extent, drugs is only a small part of the story.

I think the growth of GPC has important reasons, as suggested by Sticky.

That is why I have spent many, many hours writing this piece, which hopefully will be published in the overseas journal.

While I do support drug testing, I merely want to illustrate all the factors that would help explain why a new fed GPC has grown dramatically.

I, albeit aI m just an older and ordinary lifter, resigned from CAPO in August 2012 and indicated to Wilks was going to join PA once my injuries improved (serious stress fracture of femur at time).

Once Wilks went on tv and radio, that is when the motivation began to go through with a research article on Australian powerlifting.

I agree with sticky to a considerable extent, drugs is only a small part of the story.

What was Wilkes reaction when you told him to reg with Capo?

I am not sure what you saying about register.

I rang wilks and indicated that I wanted to compete in a drug-tested fed, PA, and he asked me to send my resignation letter I had given to the then CAPO president (a few months earlier), which I did.

I also sent him an article I had written on drug-testing at the international level.

I would still like to join PA in the future, but not before a number of issues in that fed improve dramatically.

Trouble is ASC is happy with PA and has indicated it is not a regulatory body; and did not even want to even look at concerns by PA members themselves, even though information is on public record.

But concerns expressed by PA members is in my article, and will be read by appropriate people in Aust. Maybe it will be a waste of time, and the same old PA show will roll along, but at least I gave it a go.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you saying about register.

I rang wilks and indicated that I wanted to compete in a drug-tested fed, PA, and he asked me to send my resignation letter I had given to the then CAPO president, which I did.

I also sent him an article I had written on drug-testing at the international level.

I would still like to join PA in the future, but not before a number of issues in that fed improve dramatically.

Sorry mate I misread - I thought you said you told Wilkes you were going to register with CAPO

In minutes of 2013 IPF GA,

Wilks states that Germany and Australia have similar no. of tests (59 per 500 lifters).

Last edited:
Wilks will not tell me figures, but told IPF that it had 59 tests for around 500 members that lifted.

I will go with what he told IPF, albeit there maybe higher membership when including non-lifters.

Well you ought to know, you said some of them.

They were put on public record.

Don't worry, nothing serious. I will be very careful with what I say, and reader will make their mind up.

Have not included you though in regard to PA practices.

Of course, lifters and officials will be named. As you know, you must reference sources.

Last edited:
Like I said it was nothing serious. It was a discussion between PA lifters and officials in July 2013 about concerns about the future of equipped lifting.

of the more relevant material, I have asked Wilks and the official for a response, but no luck.

As you would appreciate, it is very hard to get info about PA from either PA or the ASC.
I need to use what I have wisely and appropriately. And I will.

SP, I am not including you, as you asked.

In regard to yourself, I only mentioned what you said about how many times you were tested over a few years. It is an important point that needs to be made when making comparisons with other feds. The referee asked that I expand this point.

But, when you are writing an article about Aussie powerlifting, you have to be fair and balanced, and take no sides with anyone.

While I clearly support drug-testing, I was picked up by referees for inherent bias within article, something which I never intended.

I am merely highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of all feds, and some possible ideas about how things can be improved if drug-free sport is the public policy goal while respecting all feds.

Last edited:
It would be impossible to please everyone with such a piece. After all, Aust powerlifting has been divided for over 20 years.

But there are some important anomalies with IPF national affiliates in terms of testing. Academic analysis demands that they are noted, in line with what the existing literature says about the problems associated with drug-testing. Wilks himself notes aspects of the problems at the IPF General Assembly.

As for Wilks worrying about ASC status, I would suggest he and the ASC read the article once it is published. It contains plenty of ideas in line with best practice overseas.

I must say it is a sad day when people cant voice their opinions about sports and matters they are involved in. Maybe it tells us something.

Last edited:
yes, but you have indicated on AusBB how many tests you had before I asked you about contributing to article.

Are you saying I cant include what you said on AusBB.

Well take it off, and then I will mention that.

bloody sad.

Take it off yourself from AusBB, and I will mention that.

It is funny about PA, comments made, but no one is prepared to go through with them.

Well I was a PA member, and want to be again. I am going through with it because it needs to be said on behalf of all Aust powerlfters.

I asked all the feds about ideas about how to improve sport, but only GPC and ADFPF responded.

I suppose the others are happy with more of the same.

It is easy to remove what you said, just go in them and delete what you said. Not hard.

Mate, your attitude makes me so more determined to finish my piece in a comprehensive way. Do what you like, and show your character.

Last edited:
yep, don't say anything about your sport.

You are an academic, and a very strong PA lifter. Is that right?

Yep, don't say anything on AusBB or anywhere else about Aussie powerlifting. Heaven forbid, we don't really want to use your input to improve the sport or represent the decent efforts of all feds.

Maybe you are suggesting I simply leave the status quo alone, as it has been since 1990. Maybe the other voices of powerlifting don't need their views expressed.

Crusade? No mate, it is called doing the right thing. I, for one, am not prepared to have a distorted view of non-PA feds left unattended in this country.

the fact that you do not, or cannot say something, is evidence itself. Sorry, and good luck with your lifting.

man I think I am actually feeling empathy for the first time in my life
it's terrible

Oni, I hope your empathy is for me. Please say it is me.

My pulse has already exploded from other people's comments. I may have a heart attack if you say it is not me.

I am very weak, thin skinned, and no guts.

No it's for Pritchard
He just wants to lift weights man. Pretty much all I want to do in life