• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
for sure.

what is surprising about IPF data is the lack of consistency for testing between nations.

I mean Germany has no out-of-comp testing at all, and many IPF member states either did no testing or hardly at all.

I mean Germany has no out-of-comp testing at all, and many IPF member states either did no testing or hardly at all.

And I'll think you find the reason why is that in most countries, unlike Australia, there is no drug test funding for non-olympic sports. That said, for out-of-comp testing, money is not the only necessary resource: you need a properly organised central agency to keep a whereabouts list, set criteria for who goes in the pool, collect intelligence and devise strategies for who is tested and when. Otherwise it all becomes arbitrary and subject to corruption. History has proven this.

The IPF does its own ICT (at international events) and OCT separate from member nation testing. There is an IPF RTP consisting of the top 100 athletes in the world, but the IPF still has to work within the framework of the country where that athlete lives. This is part of the issue with Russia and why the RPF was banned for a short period of time - they weren't making available guys like Belyaev and Malanichev.

The IPF goal is to achieve 50:50 ICT vs OCT, which is apparently the benchmark for elite sport, but currently testing is well below this mark. Startlingly, the positive rate for OCT in the IPF is 10% - that is massive.

Spartacus, if you want some data, the best resource for this sort of stuff is to read the minutes of the IPF congress AGM, eg http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Congress/Minutes_GA_2012V1.pdf

for sure.

what is surprising about IPF data is the lack of consistency for testing between nations.

While I haven't an issue with you questioning the disparities between nations I was wondering if you could post info on nations that are doing a lot when you come across it. I'm particularly interested in the Nordic countries and where their funding comes from. They seem to be proactive and ahead of the curve. In the same vein as Sprtitcha I like to see focus on improvement. Not that that means sweeping all the rest under the carpet.

yes, i will be putting forward most of my observations for comment and discussion in time. I always think is a good way test your ideas.

While my paper is intended to promote powerlifting, it will provide criticism where i see it, especially where hypocrisy is observed. I think i am seeing some already, but need to wait and inquire further.

It is early days yet, as this project will probably take me 6 months as much writing to various bodies and research involved. I also have to fit in my other work (30 hours a week), training and family commitments.

But it will make an interesting piece, i am sure of that.

Last edited:
In other words, and despite whether one supports drug testing or not, I need to weigh up the evidence through the perspective of all different and involved players. That means looking at the strengths and weaknesses of all.

As you would appreciate, this is a lot harder than merely shooting your mouth off in terms of good and evil, and i think this is what Aust powerlifting needs.

SP, not surprising. In 2008, urine tests improved greatly, including test-epitesterone test, although not sure what top Russians got caught for.

Sandman, I doubt that Scandinavian countries have public-funded drug testing, but will write to them. I notice Anti-Doping Norway gaining agreement wth its IPF affliate.

US does not, UK does not, and canada does not.

Canada requires 5000 members in spot before govt funding for sport considered

Canadian Powerlifting Union

If anyone has any useful links, please post them. Will help me.

SP, so Scandinavian powerlifting is public funded?

They could be, i need to make a list of all feds. From what i have read, Anti Doping Norway has testing program partially subsidised by govt.

this link does not sound like govt funding to me, although could be wrong.

http://wcstavanger2013.com/2012/11/27/cooperation-with-anti-doping-norway/

I noticed one of my earlier ideas about how gyms could be subject to dug testing, if there was a desire, is already being implemented in Norway.

To be honest SP, if Norway dos not publicly fund drug testing for powerlifting, it would prove that public funding is not necessary, because Norway is ligh years ahead of us from what i am reading.

early days though

Last edited:
Thart is right, that is why i am still researching. Whatever i put down in article will be factual though.

I will write to various naitonal bodies to get answers, although i am scanning annual reports where possible.

PA can keep its funing, i am interested in ideas about how other feds could afford and have testing. In the end, it might be a blank.

Perhaps, it may even be required of them, you never know

Referal below refers to paying back the Powelrifting fed.

Contract/statement
As a condition of participation in the conferences, all lifters sign a declaration with the NSF/antidopingkontrakt with this content:

As a member of team affiliated with the Norwegian Powerlifting Federation (Nsf) ensures the honour and conscience that I over the past 12 months have not violated, and in future will not break the current doping regulations set by the Norwegian Powerlifting Association and parent bodies.

I commit myself to face up to the doping controls your NOC, Nsf, Ipf, Adn or Wada imposes on me. This also means that I can be tested by blood doping tests, if the Norwegian Powerlifting federations or parent bodies decide that such testing is to be conducted. This is true both inside and outside of competitions. Refusal to take the blood test is considered refusing to try after Norwegian Sports Federation rules.
If I ever found guilty of violation of the above-mentioned provisions, I drug myself to pay Nsf back funds and values of all equipment procurement and Nsf, the region (s), and/or the Club (s) have/renderers used on me the last 12 months before the infringement took place, + 15% interest from the study are.
I also understand that all my regional and national records will be deleted, no matter at which point these were set.
Any dispute (s) on the occasion of the contract content and obligations be determined by arbitration pursuant to the Arbitration Act. The decision is enforceable for judicial enforcement of compensation amount after Enforcement Act § 4-15.

This text is taken from the unique Norwegian regulations, item 2, 2.3.

Last edited:
The Norwegian stuff is quite amazing.

On one forum thread, it indicates that most positive for drugs in powerlifting comes from liftes in gyms with few in powerlifting sport itself.

Norway had about 650 lifters in 2012, and lifters pay a licence of about $350.

Last edited:
I suspect the Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden and Finland) must have some degree of public funding based on the shear number of tests they conduct and relative to population size all I can say is whoa.

I am a fan of Norway's approach to powerlifting. So are a lot of the other Western European nations when it comes to training as well I believe.

Yes, Norway looks like it is the testing material for sports drug testing.

International Anti-doping Arrangment (IADA) consists of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Norway, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, South Africa and Sweden.
I will closely look at these models.

I have written to Anti-Doping Norway for questions on funding and a link to its annual report.

And if anyone thinks it is all going back to normal, i heard today that one non-PA fed had applications for certain facilities rejected on 2 occastions because of Four Corners story.

Last edited:
I have a mate in Denmark who was tested while training (he doesn't compete) and tested positive for testosterone. He's banned from the majority of Denmark gyms for 2 years now and has to train at home