• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Returning to the gym after 7 years away

Got my second comment today "Hey have you been working out lately" from a rather nice female co-worker

"Why yes, yes i have been" :D

Hey guys i got a question about dead lifts, should i be adding more weight onto the bar after each single lift? Or stick with a set amount for all sets and reps?

^thats the only way

You can use any rep scheme, if you using multiple reps and sets systems then 5x5 is a great set-up.

But they all work, you could either add kg to the bar each set or stick with a set amount, as long as you do what Shrek suggests you'll grow like a weed.
That's the key-stone to biulding size and strength in the body.
The dead-lift is the most efficiant exercise at doing that.

The mistake most make though is forcing progress, don't increase add kg's to the bar until you *own that set*.

Most subconsiously by cheating shorten the rep range or move quicker, this catches up with you in the end, mainly via injury.

Last edited:
Leave the weight and complete desired sets. Then add 2.5 next workout.

This. Though depending on the frequency and volume, adding 5kg next workout is probably the way to go until you can no longer maintain it, then switch to 2.5kg.

Well i have been doing some barbell squats a fair bit lately, i am pretty happy doing them.

Quite different to kettlebell squats, even though the kettle was lighter the whole exercise worked a lot more of the body, especially the arms as i drew it up to the top of my chest on each lift. Maybe i should do both, with the kettlebell squats in the evenings. Will see.

Well i have been doing some barbell squats a fair bit lately, i am pretty happy doing them.

Quite different to kettlebell squats, even though the kettle was lighter the whole exercise worked a lot more of the body, especially the arms as i drew it up to the top of my chest on each lift. Maybe i should do both, with the kettlebell squats in the evenings. Will see.

What are you doing with the KB's?
Are you resting them on you shoulder, like a front squat?

I don't really understand your statement here.

KettlebellSquat.jpg

'I have done them in the past' is one excuse, another is because even now when i do a heap of them they work the body pretty good.

Hey mate, good to hear you're back in the gym!

If you're worried about what's really in yopur protein than buy a tried and tested product like Max's, OM Gold Standard or Gaspari Myofusion (chocolate - it's delicious!!

Don't forget a good mutli-vitamin, because you'll be increasing your RDI's for all vitamins and minerals with all that training. Also jump on some Con-Crete to increase your strength. As to where to buy them I can never go past vitaminking.com

Good aussie company and rarely beaten on price. Hope that helps!!!