• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Returning to the gym after 7 years away

Headley

BigRed Kunce
Hey guys,

I use to do a lot of strength based training back in the day, a lot of low weight high rep work, a lot of cardio and martial arts gave me (well to me) superhuman strength :)

Being 6'4" i never managed to come across anything i couldn't lift or do...

That was about 7 years ago.

I have not been into a gym regularly up until 6 weeks ago when i joined my minimalist gym (old equipment but quiet and a lot of free weights). I am now into my 7th week of a rough program i am sticking to, as well as doing a lot of walking/running and interval training.

I am trying to get some muscles toned up a bit, basically i want to get back into the gym in a hard and serious way to build muscle. I don't need as much strength as i had, instead i want to have something to show off in a good way.

What i need:
- A good set of % scales to chart my progress
- Some advice on which supplements are important to take, which ones are bad and where to get them from
- A good muscle gain routine

What i have:
- The will to go hard.
- Access to a good gym
- Options on martial art clubs

What i want:
- Abs by christmas (lol?)
- Arms
- Legs

I don't want to lose my legs like Lt Dan did.

I went to ASN the other day and bought some: BNRG Proto Whey, 1 kilo. Evolve L-Carnatine. Lecheek Nutrition Pyro pro Thermagenic (what a mouthful...!)

I have been waking up at 5.30 am for a 6am start, gym on Monday Wednesdays and Fridays, and a 1 hr walk/run on Tuesday and Thursdays.

I been thinking if i go for a walk/run every morning it will leave me more time after work to go to the gym. The good thing is the gym is between my home and work so no motivation issues there

Good on ya for getting back into it after seven years.

P.S - Get that protein tested :p

Yep definitely want to do power lifting! :) I will be looking at different exercises and routines over the next few weeks to get an idea happening.

And yes, i sure have to get it tested! That thread about some No Bull powders being mostly powdered milk was pretty shocking! That thread bought me here.

I've restarted in my early 40's after about 12 years off. Mind is still strong, but various connective tissues ain't. If you're going to have a crack at powerlifting (great idea) learn about mobility, muscular imbalances and form if you haven't already. And that macho stuff about powering through niggling injuries is a dumb idea, if you've reached the age where they happen more and take longer to heal.

Hi,

Good thing to hear that from you, to maintain our body healthy and fit this could be one of the most best activity to maintain our body fit healthy.

Not having dead lifted for a long time i started this morning with just 40 kilo's and managed 4 x 5 reps easy. Will be upping that to 60 next week.

Bench pressing is also new again, started with 40 and bumped that to 50, 4 x 5 again and pretty easy. Will try 60 on Monday.

Going to try some barbel rows tomorrow morning, 40 kilos to begin with i think.

It's funny, i have always done my weight lifting slow and steady to increase strength, this morning i tried a few exercises a lot quicker and it makes a damn big difference!

I checked my protein today, on the front it says 100% protein, but on the back it says about 54% protein... and it tastes a lot like flavoured powdered milk. Looks like i am up for buying some better stuff, this crap from ASN is crap.