• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

reasons why people dont compete

So if you cant win you wont compete.

This train of thought I have never understood.
There will always be someone leaner. There will always be some stronger. Its a silly mentality. Sure we all want to win...I get that.

Novice lifters in 3 big feds would yield similar numbers. ;)
Not everyone is on the gear in capo and gpc. Sure its very clear that alot of them are, especially the top guys. But there are a tonne who are not on stuff.

I see ppwerlifting as an individual sport. Its about beating your best from last time for me. Every comp ive completed I have totalled more each time. And ill do it again in a month or so. For me, that is winning.

If you are that concerned about being monstered, stick to novice level comps. There is no shame in that. In fact they are just as much fun as sanctioned stuff.

Agreed,the first comp i did , the winner of my weight class from memory went 255-145- and missed 315 for a reason i couldnt quite fathom. crushed the rest of us...was i unhappy that i didnt win?nah i actually felt privileged to be there watching it.

Yeah i do train with them 2 days out of 4, good guys and much better place to train in, would be nice if there were a few more people who were willing to commit to it though! Will wait for the next local comp to have a go, but they have one in Swan Hill soon.

tell him i said hi and that one day ill try to beat him at @83.hehe...

Last edited:
Teddy Roosevelt (1910):

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.

Come and get them!!!

300-haut2-3805812tzntb_25871.jpg

Considering that powerlifting is a recent sport (1960-70?), then no, he was not talking about powerlifting specifically. He was talking about competing though, and that sure covers the thread subject.

I know guys personally who have been talking about maybe doing a comp "at some stage" for more than 3 years. Like all vague promises, it never transpires. It's always based on fear of what they think others will think of them. This is not unique to powerlifting. People who do endless art classes but never do a painting and hang it in public to be seen. People who go through very expensive photography courses but never quit their job and throw themselves in the deep end to become pros. Talented sports men and women who don't want to make the big jump in case they don't win.

Powerlifting, strongman, bodybuilding, art shows, talent quests, authors, etc. Full of people who think or say "that could have been me up there" but they never will because they never have the balls to put it all on the line.

Silly thing is, a person who takes the stage and fails, has more respect from those who count than those that never try.

That's what Teddy was saying. "..the doer of deeds could have done them better". No matter what the arena, it's those who try that are winners, not those who sit back and say, I could have done better.

Really don't care at the moment - not much time to train and my spare time is spent living vicariously through my son's Olympic lifting.

Not happy competing unless I can make an easy A grade on the raw PA scale. It would be marginal at the moment with my current level of availability/commitment/courage.

i could probably A grade now it if PA judged squats like GPC.

There are only 2 reasons why I don't compete.
1. too weak for powerlifting
2. Too small for BBing

Really don't care at the moment - not much time to train and my spare time is spent living vicariously through my son's Olympic lifting.

Not happy competing unless I can make an easy A grade on the raw PA scale. It would be marginal at the moment with my current level of availability/commitment/courage.

i could probably A grade now it if PA judged squats like GPC.

errr dont u bench 180 kg raw at under 100 kgs...lol at u being not ready.cmon now.thats ridiculous weight.

lol at vonframe..man u said you were on your way to squatting 220 beltless drug free.Thats pretty high standard stuff right there.Add to the fact you are over 40..i dunno man..im not questioning ur lifts..im questioning why someone would get to such a good standard and not even be bothered.

Honestly though for me - I train because I love training - that is all at the end of the day - strength and size are simply a by-product of training - of course I like being strong, I like being big and I like getting bigger and stronger - but I love training, I love being in the gym, its relaxing, it clears my head - competing has never really interested me - at all - even though of course I have thought about it time to time....
I feel pretty similar. I'm intrinsically motivated to workout, because lifting is an end unto itself. I feel good doing it. I don't need to get anything further out of it to enjoy it on its own terms. I'm an intense thinker, and thrashing myself in the gym let's my brain rest when my body's resting.

I competed last year, and actually did quite well at it (gold medal in my first comp, bronze in my second comp, each time with 5+ people competing in my weight class, so no default victory). I expected competing to be really exciting. It wasn't. I expected winning to blow my mind. I received my gold medal, forced out a smile, and thought: "Yep...this isn't that great." I expected to gain some kind of acceptance amongst lifters for competing, especially if I won anything. Nope, still a skinny pile-of-sticks who apparently has no right to an opinion on anything training-related.

What was enjoyable about my competitions was getting to know people and taking pleasure in sharing a hobby together. But that's not exactly a special experience. All it takes is for people not to love the smell of their farts for that to happen.

I've actually found that competing has blunted my enthusiasm for training in general -- spending 4 months training diligently for a day which ultimately isn't that great makes the whole experience disenfranchising. The forward-focus on competing gives more drive for every workout leading up to it, but the realisation that the day itself really wasn't such a big deal bursts the whole bubble, and I've been finding it's tampered my motivation in general. Having spent a year using extrinsic motivation (competition) to fuel my training has stunted my intrinsic motivation, so a lot of time this year has been spent going through the motions rather than pushing myself like I used to.

for bb standing infront of a crowd of mostly men in your underpants,bit weird, for powerlifting the fear of getting beat

i found the biggest weirdo in powerlifting that i have "met" was a guy called kieran prisk from nz.funny thing is i think hes popular.lol.obviously a very good lifter but he showed up in the small town i was living in a few years ago to detective me after i made the boastful claim i was aiming for a 200 kg squat on another forum.i think i was around 160-165 kgs at the time so it wasnt beyond the realms of possibility.
It was like he was following me but i accidently on purpose walked past him to say gday and he completely ignored me.i mean the guy can email me to arrange a time at the gym...he can make any arrangement he likes to see for himself,but he chooses the secret squirrel option.
Im not lying when i believe hes hired private investigators and even gang members to bother me.i suspect hes hired locals here as well.
Jono Radich is the 2nd.dude all the way from Auckland to follow my wife and kids around.dude they dont even lift.