• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rate supplements(not steroids) in order of importance with 1 being the most indispens

1) Protein
2) Carbs
3) Fats

Really, any supplement, you can do without. Hence why they are supplements to your diet, they're not called essentials.

In order of importance.

Protein powder - The easiest way to increase your protein intake. Straight after your workout you want a fast digesting protein for your muscles to suck up; no matter how fast or prepared you are with whole foods, it won't be prepared and digested as easily as a protein shake. I also recommend a slower digesting powder as a night time shake to help your muscles recover.
BCAA - Great for protein synthesis to complement your diet and any protein powder.
Creatine - It can help, but shouldn't be required. I don't really feel its affects unless I'm exhausted and feeling a little flat. It will give you that kick back to normal energy levels.
Glutamine/NAAG - More amino acids for protein synthesis. I haven't used these for long so haven't had much experience.
Vitamins - Not necessary. Mainly used to fill holes in your diet. Still a good backup if your diet isn't spot on.

Protein powder, easy way to get protein you can't be bothered eating more or even good use for subbing out something sweet for it.
Caffeine, it makes stuff go.
Creatine, one of the most scienced supps. Meant to increase power output & reduced fatigue, adds water to the muscles (causes water retention).
Fish oil, omegas that I don't get since I am not a big fan of fish.
Powdered oats, you can buy it so I guess it can be counted as a supp. I blend my own, easy carbs to chuck in with protein powder.

Protein powder, easy way to get protein you can't be bothered eating more or even good use for subbing out something sweet for it.
Caffeine, it makes stuff go.
Creatine, one of the most scienced supps. Meant to increase power output & reduced fatigue, adds water to the muscles (causes water retention).
Fish oil, omegas that I don't get since I am not a big fan of fish.
Powdered oats, you can buy it so I guess it can be counted as a supp. I blend my own, easy carbs to chuck in with protein powder.

lol
Only the stuff on the black market are real supps? :p
I'd just count them as food

Krill Oil
Vitamin D
TocoCaps

No Res100 O.N.?

Why Krill Oil, can't be that necessary can it? Tococaps, you're not rating these in order of importance overall are you?

Vitamin D is free I'm sure you know.

Last edited:
No Res100 O.N.?

Why Krill Oil, can't be that necessary can it? Tococaps, you're not rating these in order of importance overall are you?

Vitamin D is free I'm sure you know.

Res100 I take very often but it needs to be cycled, on a daily basis however i consume krill, vitamin d and tococaps.

Krill oil is for my heart health and cholesterol levels, especially since it has been shown to effect the levels by about 50% in 3 months.
Vitamin d as i don't get enough sun and through blood testing it has proven to help a lot and make my levels in the high normal range.

Tococaps for my heart health and overall health, I also find they make me have a higher immunity and obviously my hair and nails grow really fast from them.

If Res100 didn't need to be cycled then i would use it all the time and rate it as #1 but yeah needs to be cycled, at the moment i find the best combo is to run 1 res100 then switch to fusion zeus for a month then back to the res100.

Last edited:
The usefulness of a supplement depends what you are deficient in.

Currently I am deficient in alcohol, caffeine, pain killers and pizza.

Res100 I take very often but it needs to be cycled, on a daily basis however i consume krill, vitamin d and tococaps.

Krill oil is for my heart health and cholesterol levels, especially since it has been shown to effect the levels by about 50% in 3 months.
Vitamin d as i don't get enough sun and through blood testing it has proven to help a lot and make my levels in the high normal range.

Tococaps for my heart health and overall health, I also find they make me have a higher immunity and obviously my hair and nails grow really fast from them.

If Res100 didn't need to be cycled then i would use it all the time and rate it as #1 but yeah needs to be cycled, at the moment i find the best combo is to run 1 res100 then switch to fusion zeus for a month then back to the res100.

what do you make of that new research on Resveratrol O.N.

"That finding echoes the results of another study of antioxidant supplementation and exercise, also published last year in The Journal of Physiology, in which half of a group of older men downed 250 milligrams daily of the supplement resveratrol, an antioxidant famously found in red wine, and the other half took a placebo. After two months of exercising, the men taking the placebo showed significant and favorable changes in their blood pressure, cholesterol profiles and arteries, with fewer evident arterial plaques.

The men taking the resveratrol were not as fortunate. They had exercised as much as the other men, but their blood pressures, cholesterol levels and arteries had remained stubbornly almost unchanged
."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23878368

what do you make of that new research on Resveratrol O.N.

"That finding echoes the results of another study of antioxidant supplementation and exercise, also published last year in The Journal of Physiology, in which half of a group of older men downed 250 milligrams daily of the supplement resveratrol, an antioxidant famously found in red wine, and the other half took a placebo. After two months of exercising, the men taking the placebo showed significant and favorable changes in their blood pressure, cholesterol profiles and arteries, with fewer evident arterial plaques.

The men taking the resveratrol were not as fortunate. They had exercised as much as the other men, but their blood pressures, cholesterol levels and arteries had remained stubbornly almost unchanged
."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23878368

As you know for every study that shows proof of change someone else can tweak the study differently to cause a different result, so many parameters unknown to this study and the fact they are "older men" how old were they? did the same happen in young or middle aged men? i assume it didn't otherwise it would have been shown.

Patrick Arnold previously wrote about will Resveratrol be a Performance Enhancing Drug?
Patrick Arnold Is Resveratrol a Performance Enhancing Drug?

There is also this study Resveratrol may speed up muscle growth which shows resveratrol to increase muscle growth.

So at my thoughts on it, i'd like to see a lot more study data and some different age groups and how these 2 groups differed to each other.

Here is a direct response to the study you posted which shows many problems and lies within the study and even leaving out information which did show an improvement of 86% over the placebo group for the bench step test: Recent data do not provide evidence that resveratrol causes ‘mainly negative’ or ‘adverse’ effects on exercise training in humans | ReadCube Articles

5251.extract.jpg

Last edited:
Researchers Challenge Conclusion that Resveratrol Lessens the Benefit of Exercise

A study conducted at the University of Copenhagen and published online in July in the Journal of Physiology, gained international attention when it suggested that Resveratrol, a nutritional supplement widely regarded as the molecule responsible for the health benefits of red wine, instead could actually cause harm by undoing the effects of exercise and increasing the risk of heart disease. The study was reported on in multiple press articles, but its validity is now being questioned.

On October 15, the journal published a letter from two researchers that strongly challenged the study. Their analysis suggests that the conclusions were unfounded and that no definitive conclusions can be drawn. Other studies have shown that Resveratrol may also have positive benefits for diabetes and heart disease. Blanchard states, “It’s a great example of how the scientific process continues after a study is published, and it’s a great thing when more researchers can openly discuss the implications a study.”
The original Copenhagen study declared itself to be the “first to demonstrate negative effects of Resveratrol on [exercise] training-induced improvements in cardiovascular health parameters in humans.” The study went so far as to state that “Resveratrol supplementation was found to reduce the positive effect of exercise training on blood pressure, blood cholesterol and maximal oxygen uptake and did not affect the retardation of atherosclerosis.” The recent letter strongly challenges these claims.

Upon reviewing the study other researchers found that the differences were too small to support such a surprising conclusion and that some of the study’s own data actually contradicts such negative findings. Private researcher, Otis Blanchard, and High Point University professor Dr. James Smoliga, state in their letter to the editor, “Importantly, there were no post-training differences between groups for most of these, and it is not appropriate to interpret such results as statistical differences between groups.“ Their analysis showed that the total reduction was too slight to be mathematically certain, and that there was also no clinically meaningful difference between the subjects treated with Resveratrol and those treated with a placebo.

According to Smoliga, there were other issues with the study. “There is a typical series of tests doctors use to diagnose and monitor atherosclerosis. This particular study did not use any of those procedures, and therefore would not be able to make any conclusions about atherosclerosis. The individuals studied did not have atherosclerosis in the first place, so it is impossible to reverse a medical condition that somebody does not have.” Earlier this year, Smoliga authored an article in the journal Aging which explained how research studies are often designed in such a way that they are unlikely to accurately analyze the effects of natural supplements in healthy people. Smoliga added, “this really emphasizes the need for researchers to critically interpret studies and actively speak with the mainstream media, so that the public isn't constantly confused by apparently conflicting results from scientific studies.”

Citations:
Lasse Gliemann, Jakob Friis Schmidt, Jesper Olesen, Rasmus Sjørup Biensø, Sebastian Louis Peronard, Simon Udsen Grandjean, Stefan Peter Mortensen, Michael Nyberg, Jens Bangsbo, Henriette Pilegaard, and Ylva Hellsten. Resveratrol Blunts the Positive Effects of Exercise Training on Cardiovascular Health in Aged Men. JPHYSIOL, 2013/258061
James M. Smoliga and Otis L. Blanchard. Recent data do not provide evidence that resveratrol causes ‘mainly negative’ or ‘adverse’ effects on exercise training in humans. JPHYSIOL, 2013/262956