• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Race to 6 plate Deadlift

WTF happened to lifting more than the next bloke.

Thats what PL used to be about. Now its Wilks, equipment, drugs, judging.

Your first comp will be a real eye opener for you young Oliver, I hope its ProRaw, so you can see what lifting is about, beating the guys before and after you on the PLATFORM, not the CALCULATIONS ROOM

Gregg totals 800kg @ 110

At 14% more bodyweight he totals an extra 14%

912 @ 125

Glossbrenner at 110 = 450 points

Glossbrenner at 125 = 497 points

Reality is a 14% bw increase would result in better than 14% total increase

Wilks at 110 = 470
Wilks at 125 = 519

In fact, if you total 800kg @ 110, I only need 830 @ 125 to beat you by 2 points on Wilks

Last edited:
Your the one who actually changed my opinions markos. We were arguing over 5/3/1, belts, rippetoe or something and I was saying my squat could hold its own at PTC. Then you're like 'you're 95kg'.

My dreams of being a fatman were ruined...

Matt Middleton - last 3 comps

590@71 = 437 Wilks
655@81 = 443 Wilks
690@89 = 443 Wilks

He added 25% bw and only 17% to his total, his Wilks went up by 6 points ( he actually weighed over 80kg at the first comp, but with 24 hour weigh in was only 71kg, not sure of the exact numbers at his last comp)

Oli, I never said get fat, Fat Dave cops shit from me every day due to being fat

I said get heavier

Markos didnt you do a thread about peolpes height and their ideal powerlifting weight based on some of the great powerlifters ?? Id be interested to see that thread again or for you to even write somthign up with a general concencus of what is your ideal/best weight for powerlifing depended on your height.

Markos didnt you do a thread about peolpes height and their ideal powerlifting weight based on some of the great powerlifters ?? Id be interested to see that thread again or for you to even write somthign up with a general concencus of what is your ideal/best weight for powerlifing depended on your height.

yes if you could post that up Markos that would be a great benchmark for people to aim for. Thanks

Who wants to be small anyway? I'm happy to be 6"3. it means I "GET" to compete with the super heavy's @ 125kg+ eventually. To get there I'm going to try and put as much muscle as possible obviously, I'm not just going to go down to Micky D's and chow untill I'm 125kg and can barely breath after walking down the stairs.

Shit I didn't know what the hell a Wilks total was before I read it on this site, all I know is I like competing and I like lifting heavy shit. Why not do it with a bunch of other swole bastards that like to do the same?

And for the record, competing in Strongman. 105kg are the girly lightweight men. @ 125kg I'd be a middle weight. 135kg isn't even Super Heavyweight yet.

Wilks is really only used to determine the best male and best female lifter across all weight divisions on a given day. When you apply it to totals of competitors at the elite, ie international, level, it works out to be valid, because those lifters are much more likely to be lifting at a weight which suits their height and levers. The actual regression model was based on historical world champ data going back many years. If you look at the trends from world records, for example, you'll see that supers aren't actually that much stronger than 110s.

The formula was based off totals and was really only ever intended to be used for totals. It happens to work ok for raw bench only (although has been thrown out a bit since the advancement of shirts from the late 90s), but was not specifically designed for this purpose. But it definitely does not work for squat only or deadlift only, nor does it claim to, because the formula was derived from totals.

It is also not suited for comparing an individual lifter's efforts over his or her career. Wilks does not even come into play unless you are good enough to win an overall comp, so aspiring lifters are better off just trying to improve their total and getting towards their ideal body weight (by which I mean ideal powerlifting bodyweight, not shitty medical BMI recommendations!)

Last edited:
yes if you could post that up Markos that would be a great benchmark for people to aim for. Thanks

Find someone who looks quite big, not freaky roid big but big enough to say 'thats a big muthafckuer'

Then add 20kg

I have a personal preference for keeping shit lean (I want to be leaner). In the words of Max Faget:

Max Faget said:
That's right! It's not embarrassing at all to be enormously fat with a squat weaker than most trained 165 pound guys can pull off.

Good on you for keeping the Starting Strength spirit alive!

Was a discussion about this with Wendler, Ripp and a couple others and they come up with a general guideline of 3lb body weight per inch height to look like you lift weights and closer to 4 lb per inch to maximise your leverages for powerlifting.

So for 6ft about 100kg to look like you lift weights and 130kg for powerlifting.

Remember only a guide tho.

Adam Coe was 5'10" and was MUCH stronger at 100kg than 90kg, shouldve lifted at 110kg by all that know.

Ed Coan is 5'6" and lifted best in the 110's

Lee Moran was 5'6" and 145kg, first man to officially squat 1000lbs

Steve Pritchard is 5'10" and 125kg

Gawain Johnstone is 6' and 169kg

Gregg Gordon is 5'8" and 96kg

Kaptain Kirk was 5'6" and 125kg

Daryl and Michael would be unbeatable at 82.5kg

Matt Middleton squatted 305kg with wraps at 5'7" and 91kg I think

I'm not sure there is an ideal, but you can tell by some of these names that a 6' PL should lift in the 125's to be remotely competitive, preferably the 140's

Jason Durbridge must only be 5'6" I think, he carries 125kg in the off season.Competes in the 110's

Jeff Lam is very short, weighs 88kg. Unbeatable.

Nick is a strong guy, but for PL strong he needs to weigh 125kg+, and he knows that.

Once he does, watch his squat sky rocket, at 106kg and 6'1" currently, he is too small for PL, he would squat 300kg eventually at 125kg.

Nathan does squat 300, same weight as Nick, around 3-4" shorter though

im just checking out pics and records of the 75kg class Oleksandr Kutcher total 960 WR holder. but his physique is increible for a 75kg bloke... looks unreal.