• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Questions to officials of different powerlifting federations

Your reasons have been useless.

Fuck me, what more do you want me to say? "Yes Bazz, I'll take it to Gaston Parage right away and get the IPF to institute pin safeties for bench before Raw Nats this year to save all the lifters for dying from crushed ribcages like they did last year".

Thanks mate.
I think GPC is doing a great job of balancing the 3 major facets of growing powerlifting
- What the lifters want
- What the spectators want
- Having the right people on the committee.

We have over 230 starts entered at out comp, close to double the lifters any other fed has ever attracted (and we didn't need to spend over 100k) so I think things are looking up.

How many junior, masters, open and equipped lifters separately if you know?

Bazza, I've hit the safeties before in comp with a 170 kg equipped bench. I nearly bombed due to that and started giving myself more margin with my safety heights.

The safeties that currently exist on an eleiko bench are already long enough to cover most people's chests, we just all choose to set them low enough that we don't run any risk of hitting them because in any decent comp the spotters will be good enough to stop you from hitting your chest anyway (and suicide grip isn't allowed so we won't drop it).

How many junior, masters, open and equipped lifters separately if you know?

GPC only runs open meets, so 230.

Age classes only exist for record purposes.

From memory;
13 equipped
16 bench only
80 women
128 men

More are being added daily.

From memory;
13 equipped
16 bench only
80 women
128 men

Cool. Was just trying to compare it to our 2 Nats this year. The Open Nats was restricted entry due to it being held at the Fitness Expo so they are holding a separate Jnr, Masters and Bench Nats in August.

From memory;
13 equipped
16 bench only
80 women
128 men

Would l be correct in assuming people aren't making a switch over to equiped lifting due to costs or is there more to it than that? l guess anyone can lift raw though so it's more accessible... Probably just answered my own question...

I think I'm more excited to watch the competition at Nationals then actually competing. Some crazy numbers being thrown around this few weeks out..

It's going to be awesome mate. I can't wait.

I just hope I can get the equipment built in time lol

Cool. Was just trying to compare it to our 2 Nats this year. The Open Nats was restricted entry due to it being held at the Fitness Expo so they are holding a separate Jnr, Masters and Bench Nats in August.

In my opinion an event like nationals should have it's own event, not at a fitness expo. The crowd should be there FOR YOU and not there for the fitness expo, in my opinion.
SA's strongest man was doing to be at the Adelaide Sports & Fitness Expo next year but it was decided against for this reason

In my opinion an event like nationals should have it's own event, not at a fitness expo. The crowd should be there FOR YOU and not there for the fitness expo, in my opinion.
SA's strongest man was doing to be at the Adelaide Sports & Fitness Expo next year but it was decided against for this reason

Well we had a pretty massive crowd all day of both PA fans and passerbys so I think it worked quite well.

Agree 100%.

I also agree it should be run for Australians, not 895975 internationals.

I'm presuming this is directed at CAPO, PA only gets out a few internationals and that's so they can hold an international event so PA lifters can set WRs.

Wasn't directed at anyone.

Just stating, IMO nationals is for Australians.

GPC and CAPO lifters can set WRs at their nationals but PA lifters can only set them at international comps, that's why the Pacific Invitational was created, so Australian lifters can set international records and Australian refs can get the necessary experience. I hardly see a problem with it for those purposes.

Going back a couple of steps, I think bench is about as safe as it will ever get, at least not without creating issues with seeing clearly what the lifter is doing. Bench weights are the lightest of all events and the spotters are there to make sure nothing goes wrong. Not a perfect world but then, shit, we are Vikings and Spartans and we take danger in our stride. Right?

On the other hand, I have always thought that having straps, adjustable to a person's height (like the squat rack itself, or bench press rack) in the squat is a safety feature that should be incorporated. This is more so for those who hit high 200's + in the squat. I don't care how big the spotters are, if you have someone squatting 350 that is a hell of a lot of weight to catch and balance.

If we had straps in the squat set to an adjustable height/depth then if someone bails then the straps are a sure fire guarantee that the lifter won't get nailed behind the neck or on the back by the bar, a la olympic lifting.

As far as why there are more raw lifters now, for me its not the competing or the price of gear (suits that is. Cough.) Its the frikken drama you have to go through every time you walk into the gym. I just did a 3 hour workout. Ben just posted a 5 hour session. Now toss in 45min to put on your squat suit and have that bitch pinching and constricting you for 3-5 hours every time you train. Feeeeeerrrrk. No thank you.

I am happy with me, and just me, competing against the bar. Equipped lifting is a different sport with different training and techniques to make it happen. Not for me.

I agree with not inviting over too many international lifters (outside of PA) but I'm still probably going to cry and make an ass of myself when I meet Pozdeev in December