• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Programming Advice

T

tgpowerhouse

Would like some constructive advice on what program I should be looking at.

Had knee surgery 2 weeks ago (arthroscopy) so I am a couple of weeks from getting back into it but I was looking for some advice on programming I should run when I return.

My goal is simply to get stronger and add some size, keeping into account my dodgy knee.

I was looking at 5x5s but squatting 3 x week scares me to be honest atm, and doesn't seem to be enough work on the posterior, my glutes and hammies are very weak atm and will need to work on my posterior chain and core in a big way to help with long term injury prevention.

Any ideas? I am 27 so my recovery is longer then it used to be, I have mostly don't splits in the past for aesthetic purposes but now want to work on getting bigger and stronger but taking into account my dodgy knees.

(5/3/1 looks great however my strength is not great atm so not sure if I should run fullbody first to get the lifts up, advice would be appreciated.)

I'm not the one to give you advice on programming, but I can't see why if you like the look of 531 you can't do it, it's not an advanced program and gives loads of recovery time

I'd be careful with recent knee surgery if I were you - I love 5/3/1 as an intermediate, and there is a beginner variant too

I would actually increase the frequency of squatting but keep them lighter and less volume per session but more overall.
You need to get the blood in the area frequently. The tendons and ligaments only get 1-3% of the blood volume compared to the muscles, so you really need to get the blood pumping and regularly for full healing

I don't think you need a "program" as such, just follow a loose template and do what you're capable of on the squat. I would try to squat 3-4x a week and a wide variety of rep ranges

I've had two knee scopes already, not even 24 yet. From my experience, what these guys said is fairly good. Be prepared to take your time, around 6 months before you can squat any significant amount of weight (will vary depending how well and fast you heal).

This is basically how I progressed after(high reps for all these): Some specific exercises the physio gave me that I cant remember sorry, Bw partials, Single leg partials, walking through waist deep water, Bw lunges, Bw squats, light lunges, light squats.
Then I hopped on a program that had me squatting 3x a week, started with just the bar.

Leg presses, extensions, etc aggravate my knee, might be different for you.
There's heaps of other things I couldn't do until recently, like running.

My comment would be that running is the worst thing you can do for your knees at this stage, all that high impact force on the joint isn't ideal at the best of times, let alone when trying to recuperate. Take it easy, hell even go with the PTC program with the weights featherlight to begin with. Take your time, its not a race.

Thanks guys, will look at doing full body workouts for about 6 months then move onto a "routine" once my strength builds up. I wont be running that's for sure, just a lot of walking and cycling for cardio.

I would do cycling and my physio for my legs. And just a full body routine for the rest of me. When I had a scope I was back playing football in 5 weeks but the knee did not feel right till the 6-9 month mark. I'd give it a year before really pushing it in the weight room.

I have been down the route of a Scope before. And I would just take it easy with a 3 month plan to maybe add in some bodyweight squats at the end. Then at 6 months some goblet squats. 9 months high rep low weight squatting for the next few months - maybe look at a 20 rep breathing squat system for a while progressing from nothing to something.

I might look at doing lots of stiff leg deadlifts to help strengthen that area so when you get squatting again you will have hamstrings of steel and make good progress.

Check with your physio guy before adding any exercise or starting to lift heavy.

I would actually increase the frequency of squatting but keep them lighter and less volume per session but more overall.
You need to get the blood in the area frequently. The tendons and ligaments only get 1-3% of the blood volume compared to the muscles, so you really need to get the blood pumping and regularly for full healing

Very true, and the shots into tendon damage are fucking painful.