• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Program critique please

panda

Hey guys and girls, fairly new to the forum. Probably wont post much just signed up so I could read things haha

Anyway would appreciate any opinions on this program. Is there any obvious holes?
It's not finished yet or perfect but the exercises are in there for specific reasons.
Am open to changing it if needs be.

Alternating A & B

Workout A:
Squat: 3x10
Mp: 3x8
Dips: 3x8
Pullup: A couple short of failure
Row: 3x8
Situps: 3x10 Add reps or weight

Workout B:
Lunge: 3x8
Deadlift: 1x5
Bench: 3x8
Pushup: 3x8 Add reps or weight
Chinup: A few short of failure
Inverted Row: 3x8

Thanks

Edit: Not sure if this is the right section for it. Tried to pm admin to ask but can't do that till I've got 10 posts haha

Last edited:
Haha I should mention it's not for bb its more endurance/strength. I have another day for rehab stuff and other accessory exercises. I don't have tiny calves like most people either.

Edit: nazzy like I said all the exercises are there for a reason, half of them are from my physio. I do really like the ptc beginner program though and have read the entire thread from beginning to end.

Last edited:
If you like it do it. the program you're gonna stick with is the one you like. I'm sure you'll tweak a few things when required.

HI should mention it's not for bb its more endurance/strength. I hato as another day for rehab stuff and other accessory exercises. I don't have tiny calves like most people either.

Edit: nazzy like I said all the exercises are there for a reason, half of them are from my physio. I do really like the ptc beginner program though and have read the entire thread from beginning to end.

Volume is high for an OP in an A B style format...

Unless your eating like a beast and have training history... But then you wouldnt need to ask us...

2 back moves 3 times a week
2 chest /shoulder moves 3 times a week
This will be taxing...

Lunges???? Da fuq!!!!
It's gay...

Do begginer program and Fuck lunges!!!

Yep have some training history, I like external opinions. Will be eating heaps. Volume wise its not a lot different from what I'm doing now, just more structured.

Yep lunges, for hip issues. Helps with glute activation etc.

Short back story, couple knee surgerys, some shoulder issues. Bench is mostly in there to test shoulder.
Other issues have come up from these previous ones, that's why there are some specific things in there, like lunges haha

Yep its progressive. Basically ptc's more theory, do more weight, more sets, or more reps.

Edit: Obviously more weight is preferred, the other two are a means to an end.

I think it's a good program, full of compound exercises.

In that rep range and at moderate intensity you would get by with one day off between the workouts ie four training sessions per week.

Also, I'd be careful with standing MP if your core strength is at all questionable - try a seated version with some back support. Barbell step ups are a good alternative to the lunge.

Last edited:
Nah core strength is fairly good I think. I would have liked to continue the program I was doing but the physio wanted me to add other stuff in and he knows better than me. So I came up with this to keep it more organised. Its slightly more reps than before as well.

My most current lifts below. Have never really tried any 1rm stuff.

Squat: 120kg 3x5

Dead: 160kg for 2 or 3 can't remember

Mp: 55kg 4x5

Bench: Something appalling, haven't been able to do it up until a few months ago

Lunge (even though its not one of the big lifts): 60kg 3x8

Last edited:
Whoops that was a typo, was supposed to be 3x5. I prefer slightly lower volume for deads.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go for a while and see how it goes.

To stop me burning myself out, mostly on the pullups, because my reps on them are low at the moment.
My pullups would usually look like this, 5,3,3,2. If I try go to 6 or 7 in the first set I usually make less in the following sets.

I should be able to do around 3x5 - 3x8 for chins. My pullups really need work.

Do you have access to an assisted pull up machine?
I'd probably do 1 or 2 short of failure then switch to chins. I don't think you'll progress overly quickly doing a couple of sets of 2 or 3, need more volume... Just my opinion though

Yeah they have an assisted machine and I have used it, but I've actually made more progress this way even though its a slow method.

Tore something in my upper back when I was younger, did rehab but never strengthened it properly.
Got an impingement when I started training and just been working on the muscle imbalance since then.

The muscles in my upper back weren't activating and it took ages just to get them to do that.

Have only added bench to my routine just before christmas as my physio wanted me too. He said my back should be fairly strong by now and as long as I keep a decent push pull ratio I should be fine.

I have a few other niggling issues as well but its easy enough to work through.