• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting posting in Bodybuilding Forum

yeah but alot of them do not emphasis from what i have seen

- shoulders
- calves
- biceps
- traps

yes i know there is carry over there from the other lifts but from what ive seen not much to actually bring them up to the levels of the other bodyparts.

bodybuilding is about symmetry and balance. The typical PL has smallish arms/calves compared to his other body parts. Once again not saying they DONT get trained but just in comparison

But you can add this stuff in easily to most. Its all minor shit and generally won't adversely affect a program too much.

And fuck me, if you haven't got big traps from deads already you're doing something wrong.

I get the point of this thread.... But don't agree with most of it,

As Freako said, there are no beginner PL/BB, just beginner lifters.

Until you can squat 140, bench 100, or deadlift 180 your a complete novice and have no place doing any type of advanced routines BB or PL.
Anybody think those numbers are to high? If you cant hit those in under 12 months, take up table tennis because your heart isnt in lifting....

All my novices start out on linear progression programs that I write myself as I dont really like many programs that are out on the net.
They hit the big 3 hard, then do plenty of hypertrophy work.

Going by the results that my clients get, I think I'm on to something..

And before this is the BB section, not PL.....
One of my lifters is about 5'6, 76kg, 6% (dexa) and has more veins than spiderman, he is on his way to 3%.
Oh..... Yeah...... Should at that at 77kg, he squats 222.5kg, benches 162.5kg, and deadlifts 250.

Know your body, gain knowledge, train hard.

My understanding of both disciplines is this;

Powerlifting= Big three plus any assistance that will help increase the big three lifts

Bodybuilding= Completely for aesthetic purposes, looking for symmetrical muscle development.

Both disciplines require similar movements but both have completely different goals IMO. I can see what Joel is saying, I can see how easy it is to get things mixed up or confused. I know I did when I started, but I feel there is enough coherence on the forum that both disciplines can be worked out fairy quickly.

It's not to bad the mix-up between each forum, I wouldn't say it is a big issue.

G

lol i knew this where this thread was going to happen yet i still clicked on it.

Having trained BB splits for over 10 years and now strength over 2..

I can see a very clear distinction between the 2 when u get to a more intermediate-advanced level.

But till then doing a basic beginners or 5x5 would be more beneficial to a complete beginner moveing to a split.

Im currently trialing a PL/BB program mix i wrote up to see if i can get the good parts of both worlds.

Main lifts = PL (5-6 reps)
Assistance = BB (8-10 reps) with curls/calf raises etc..

Im running a similar BB/PL split, 2 days heavy weight hiting the big moves (squat, bench, dead, OHP, chin/row) (3-5 reps) then three days hitting the same moves at higher reps for hypertrophy and a few other exercises for muscular development (use of dumbells and intensity techniques) (10+ reps).

I think its essential for any natural bodybuilder to incorporate the PL lifts, otherwise you see those guys who look like they had an allergic reaction to shellfish because all they do is "PUMP" train and deflate the moment they leave the gym.

But you can add this stuff in easily to most. Its all minor shit and generally won't adversely affect a program too much.

And fuck me, if you haven't got big traps from deads already you're doing something wrong.

Never said u wouldnt get big traps but u do see guys with shoulders overwhelming the traps somewhat.

Let me go find some i know of that pull alot and have a discussion.

I get the point of this thread.... But don't agree with most of it,

As Freako said, there are no beginner PL/BB, just beginner lifters.

Until you can squat 140, bench 100, or deadlift 180 your a complete novice and have no place doing any type of advanced routines BB or PL.
Anybody think those numbers are to high? If you cant hit those in under 12 months, take up table tennis because your heart isnt in lifting....
Are these arbitrary numbers?
Where did this 140, 100, 180 come from? I want a link to the person who came up with these numbers and how he come to reach this conclusion.

Some pretty big blokes can't deadlift 180, are they beginners?

Are these arbitrary numbers?
Where did this 140, 100, 180 come from? I want a link to the person who came up with these numbers and how he come to reach this conclusion.

Some pretty big blokes can't deadlift 180, are they beginners?

Very true...I see good competive bbers that only dead 3 - 3 1/2 plates aside lol

meh, at 60kg i used to think what a load of shit for 100/140/180, kept training and now weigh 70+ and have done 100/160/170(never train dl cos back rooted). If I hadn't of kept training i wouldn't have gained 10+kg of muscle, so there is some method to the madness :)

Very true...I see good competive bbers that only dead 3 - 3 1/2 plates aside lol
yeah but that wouldn't be sigles right?, they'd be doing that for 5-10 which usually means they could probably pull 4 plates once off :p

yeah but that wouldn't be sigles right?, they'd be doing that for 5-10 which usually means they could probably pull 4 plates once off :p

No ive seen them not be able to do 3 1/2 plates once...or be totally amazed when someone pulls 4 plates + in the gym lol

But at the end of the day who cares....doesnt matter how much you lift its what u look like you can lift....

Just pays tribute to the fact there many ways to skin a cat.

You've got big bad Dorian who rowed more than he deadlifted...

Then you've got the freak Ronnie who pulled 800 for 2 reps a few weeks out from the Mr O.

Just pays tribute to the fact there many ways to skin a cat.

You've got big bad Dorian who rowed more than he deadlifted...

Then you've got the freak Ronnie who pulled 800 for 2 reps a few weeks out from the Mr O.

Thats it bro!

Phil heath didn't even deadlift before he won the O.

I saw him pulling 3 plates like it was 6.

Actually yeh, he pulled 10 plates then drank 16L of raw organic milk.. I am pretty sure it was even curdled.

Max-ot was my first program. Thinking back I spent nearly half and hour a week completing useless exercises in that program working forearms and calfs. What sort of beginer needs that work? Who in their right mind would reccomend that for beginners?

The words body building say it all. I didn't train my biceps or calves and they got bigger doing PL lifts. So my body was being built through resistance training.

Attacking people and their results on the forum are hardly a way of confirming which routines produce the best results.

It all sounds bro-science against common sense to me.

No deadlifts and milk aren't essential. Neither are 5 day splits and jacked.

Train hard and put your heart into it and results will come.