• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting posting in Bodybuilding Forum

Joel, your making no sense now and looking like a fool. I thought Bull summed it up nicely.

mmmmmm.....just trying to help ppl out mate...there are alot of ppl here whos results arnt the best...and honestly if I can help ppl out to get better results through better understanding of training then i'll do so....

Last edited:
Why is it so hard to understand:

Goal is bodybuilding = train like a bodybuilder

Goal is strength/powerlifting = train like a strength athlete/powerlifter

* From beginner to advanced levels

somewhat agree.

I like what i like to call "powerbuilding" its training the big lifts gaining strength.. while doing exercise that most powerlifters would call useless

Just to back ol' joel up a bit because he is getting picked on.:D Starting strength (for example) Is entirely Squat, Deads, Power cleans, Press & bench.

If someone want's to bodybuild, they might want something with pullups, calf raises, Bicep curls, situps & whatever else.

Sure SS is a great program, but there any are also great bodybuilding programs that incorporate the WHOLE body also.

Be fked if all I do is squat, dead, press and bench all the time, so why should we tell others to do exactly that.

Just to back ol' joel up a bit because he is getting picked on.:D Starting strength (for example) Is entirely Squat, Deads, Power cleans, Press & bench.

If someone want's to bodybuild, they might want something with pullups, calf raises, Bicep curls, situps & whatever else.

Sure SS is a great program, but there any are also great bodybuilding programs that incorporate the WHOLE body also.

Be fked if all I do is squat, dead, press and bench all the time, so why should we tell others to do exactly that.
powerlifters dont only do bench squat and dead.... they are the main lifts but not the only ones...

squat
bench
dead
GHR
reverse hyper
hyper extension
chins/pull ups
tricep extensions/pushdowns
good mornings
rows
even pushups

i dont think iv seen anyone tell someone to only; squat bench and dead with nothing else.

also someone training for strength, a strong back is crucial, pull ups and rows are not just for bodybuilding.

actual lifts is not what separates BBing from PLing (im talking free weights, not isolation) its more related to rep ranges and hypertrophy

I feel like my thread started this

Lots of valid points, doesn't it seem rational that if someone wants to be a competitive bodybuilder make a program designed purely for that visa versa for powerlifting

Not saying that there are no benifits in training those different ways say a bodybuilder training like a powerlifter

Also my opinion really doesn't mean that much seeing as i just joined

Off-topic but in response to Joel's statements about beginner lifters.

I don't believe there are beginner bb'ers or pl'ers. There are just beginner lifters. They shouldn't be doing more advanced bb'ing or pl'ing programs. They should be doing beginner routines which all should be variations of a theme: high frequency, low volume, linear progression, compound lift focus. They can focus slightly more on hypertrophy by doing something like "The Beginner Program" with higher reps or you can focus on strength with Starting Strength.

lol i knew this where this thread was going to happen yet i still clicked on it.

Having trained BB splits for over 10 years and now strength over 2..

I can see a very clear distinction between the 2 when u get to a more intermediate-advanced level.

But till then doing a basic beginners or 5x5 would be more beneficial to a complete beginner moveing to a split.

Im currently trialing a PL/BB program mix i wrote up to see if i can get the good parts of both worlds.

Main lifts = PL (5-6 reps)
Assistance = BB (8-10 reps) with curls/calf raises etc..

lol i knew this where this thread was going to happen yet i still clicked on it.

Having trained BB splits for over 10 years and now strength over 2..

I can see a very clear distinction between the 2 when u get to a more intermediate-advanced level.

But till then doing a basic beginners or 5x5 would be more beneficial to a complete beginner moveing to a split.

Im currently trialing a PL/BB program mix i wrote up to see if i can get the good parts of both worlds.

Main lifts = PL (5-6 reps)
Assistance = BB (8-10 reps) with curls/calf raises etc..

I actually share this sentiment....

I use 5x5 in my current workouts and then add 8 to 10 rep assistance work around it....

I find a combination of both most rewarding....

I actually share this sentiment....

I use 5x5 in my current workouts and then add 8 to 10 rep assistance work around it....

I find a combination of both most rewarding....

This is the same as any number of PL programs. Hit main lifts for low rep, high intensity, then back it up with hypertrophy for assistance.

This is the same as any number of PL programs. Hit main lifts for low rep, high intensity, then back it up with hypertrophy for assistance.

yeah but alot of them do not emphasis from what i have seen

- shoulders
- calves
- biceps
- traps

yes i know there is carry over there from the other lifts but from what ive seen not much to actually bring them up to the levels of the other bodyparts.

bodybuilding is about symmetry and balance. The typical PL has smallish arms/calves compared to his other body parts. Once again not saying they DONT get trained but just in comparison