• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerclean instructional video

I have only done one session with these lifts i can see why they would be empowering to do.

My question is after wards my forarms felt really worked, am I doing it wrong? I might be doing a power upright row sort of a thing, too much arm and shoulder not enought drive, and dive under??? up to 70 felt ok, 80 was just wayy too much to get under.

Mick, try doing Power Shrugs and then some Hang Cleans. It has helped my technique.

In saying that I haven't done them for a while.

Hang Cleans will be good as they make you use proper technique, you cant just rip and curl the bar up.

thanks I will give the hang cleans a go, My forearms are still shot from last week, last work out was crap as I couldnt hang on properly

Clean - click here

there are many progressions to do the powerclean or clean.

stretch the shoulders, triceps, forearms and wrists. do this stretching before and after and that will help with keeping your elbows pointing out horizontally. also record yourself doing the lift and then compare yourself to actual pro lifters. and watch losts of videos. get the movement in your head will help in knowing what to do.

Last edited:
Powercleans are my new favorite exercise! Doing ten in a row really takes it out of me. Only doing 80lb at the moment but its at my limit as I feel like I want to pass out after doing them. I find they put an enormous strain on your body which is really good!

Powercleans are my new favorite exercise! Doing ten in a row really takes it out of me. Only doing 80lb at the moment but its at my limit as I feel like I want to pass out after doing them. I find they put an enormous strain on your body which is really good!

Hi LJ,

If you can do 10 in a row, it's a sign that you're capable of a fair bit more weight on the bar. However that is not why I'm "talking" with you now. It's the fact that when a weight is light for your strength capability, you'd really have to either slow the lift down slightly (sometime without realising), or knock your knees silly with a very fast and accelerating bar. In other words, the bar travels so damn fast off the floor that your knees won't have enough time to "retract" to allow free movement.

So my question to you is this; are you knocking your knees with the bar? If not, you may find that you're not at full speed (which is fine with a light weight unless you want screaming knee caps) :D!

Fadi.

Last edited:
Hi LJ,

If you can do 10 in a row, it's a sign that you're capable of a fair bit more weight on the bar. However that is not why I'm "talking" with you now. It's the fact that when a weight is light for your strength capability, you'd really have to either slow the lift down slightly (sometime without realising), or knock your knees silly with a very fast and accelerating bar. In other words, the bar travels so damn fast off the floor that your knees won't have enough time to "retract" to allow free movement.

So my question to you is this; are you knocking your knees with the bar? If not, you may find that you're not at full speed (which is fine with a light weight unless you want screaming knee caps) :D!

Fadi.

Hi Fadi, no I'm not knocking my knees with the bar on the way up. The weight did feel pretty easy thou. I was able to do one powerclean that turned into a snatch (elbows not completely locked though).

I was able to do one powerclean that turned into a snatch (elbows not completely locked though).
This I've got to see LJ :D! Oh man you're a classic. I'm still laughing. Thanks.

PS: how wide are you placing your hands for this to turn into a snatch? Oh man you're killing me here...:D! Hey,I'm laughing with you not at you, Ok?!

Fadi.

Whats so funny? Please enlighten me in what I have said to make you laugh. I am all about learning so if I have posted in error please correct me. :p :D lol

[youtube]7J0kQrj3bAc[/youtube]

If I really put heaps of effort into it, I could pull the bar off the ground and have it over my head is what I meant to say.

Last edited:
Don't worry LJ. :) It's just the way you said it....doing a powerclean...then before you knew it...suddenly turned into a snatch :p

sounds like a rookie question but, how much would Olympic lifts deadlift? and considering that dead lifting is the first portion of the lift would deadlifting be apart of their program's?

Don't worry LJ. :) It's just the way you said it....doing a powerclean...then before you knew it...suddenly turned into a snatch :p

LOL haha.

Before I knew it was going up past my head and I thought, keep it going! My grip was not wide though, not like in the youtube vid I posted. :D

Olympic lifters dont practice the deadlift, nor do they need to.

I have a few lifters who also train at an Olympic lifting gym, the deadlift is simply not needed.

Olympic lifters dont practice the deadlift, nor do they need to.

I have a few lifters who also train at an Olympic lifting gym, the deadlift is simply not needed.

interesting. so its pretty much just clean to get better at cleans.
i would imagine some of them would have very good deadlifts.

Twenty years ago at a powerlifting meet in Brighton, a couple of weightlifters were watching, Joe Rigby from WSM was also there.

Though my memory is a little hazy about exact numbers, they deadlifted over 250kg with a clean grip. My brother reckons one might have pulled 300kg. They were just having a go at the deadlift for ****s and giggles. They were large boys.

Years of heavy squats, cleans and pulls was all they needed.

sounds like a rookie question but, how much would Olympic lifts deadlift? and considering that dead lifting is the first portion of the lift would deadlifting be apart of their program's?

Haz, there's no room for a magnificent lift such as the deadlifts in weightlifting. A deadlifts is about how much you can lift off the ground without a consideration to time. That was strength for you.

Olympic weightlifters need to do an exercise that will incorporate both strength and speed at the same time; that will equal to an explosive lift, an accelerated lift if you will. The lift that will accomplish strength and speed simultaneously for a weightlifter is the explosive pull off the grounds. These are done just like you were going to clean or powerclean a weight but without racking it (on the shoulders).

One would usually pull with 20kg more than he could clean and jerk say. My pulls were around the 180kg mark. The exercise is called heavy pull and shrug.

[YOUTUBE]q1a8VJIJ_54[/YOUTUBE]

Fadi.

Reactions: haz