• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power racks

Lifter, I havent met anyone as helpful as Adrian, Gym Direct owner, form member Hulk, forum sponsor.

I have had one in my gym that been loaded to 300kg for reverse band squats, I have found no limitations other than pressing INSIDE the rack, you'll need to use the outside pins.

As far as DL inside the rack, well in 30 years I've never seen anyone do that, but if room is limited elsewhere, I can see how its a problem.

Using bands for squat/bench/dead is no issue

Also if you need hole placing any closer, check for a penis in your pants, I mean really lol

Closer spacing means less metal means less safety.

I had a lifter dump 160kg off his back onto the pins, thank f u c k there was a hunk of metal between each hole.

Clearly, the closer the spacing the less metal.

Please correct me if I'm wrong big fella

Well yeah, that's probably a very valid point, although, I doubt any company would be brave (stupid?) enough to make a rack that's so fragile that it will break doing what it's supposed to do (save your ass on a missed lift). Exception being those racks with weak weight limits.

Just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I think I might go for the Commercial Muscle Motion.
Checking out the forum seems like a lot of people bought from gym direct, and they're really helpful which is a really big deal for me. I might send Adrian a message to get a quote on it.

Metal is very strong under compression, you have got more chance of a deformation in the safety bar if a weight was to drop onto it from height.

Even then, any scenario you can imagine would not cause a total malfunction of the structures safety, and would still perform its role, to protect the lifter.

Just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I think I might go for the Commercial Muscle Motion.
Checking out the forum seems like a lot of people bought from gym direct, and they're really helpful which is a really big deal for me. I might send Adrian a message to get a quote on it.

good choice mate, you certainly wont be disappointed, its a beauty.

Also if you need hole placing any closer, check for a penis in your pants, I mean really lol

It doesnt worry me much now, but a couple of vets with shoulder issues mentioned how having to shrug the bar or press it off the j-hooks could aggravate shoulder issues in the future.

Hey guys, first post here, been reading a lot of useful stuff. This place is like the OCAU of bodybuilding lol.

Ive pretty much decided on buying the muscle motion standard rack, just want to make sure the closed top is ok for someone 6'4 (about 195cm in shoes). It does say its 2.2 M high which is huge but im just making sure.

Also can the hooks look like the ones where you have to lift the bench bar off, not like J hooks. Can J hooks be put on, or do the ones supplied work similar?

Thanks

Hey guys, first post here, been reading a lot of useful stuff. This place is like the OCAU of bodybuilding lol.

Ive pretty much decided on buying the muscle motion standard rack, just want to make sure the closed top is ok for someone 6'4 (about 195cm in shoes). It does say its 2.2 M high which is huge but im just making sure.

Also can the hooks look like the ones where you have to lift the bench bar off, not like J hooks. Can J hooks be put on, or do the ones supplied work similar?

Thanks

This one goes alright :p -> Commercial Olympic Heavy Duty Multi Power Rack

(I have one).

I had some issues with tolerances/build quality, but absolutely love it it bits.

One of my clients is 6'8" and he has no issues.

I'm really not understanding the J Hook thing, WTF is the problem?

I've had maybe 200 people use my rack and no one has ever mentioned them. We have taken 300kg out of the rack on our backs and no complaints.

How much are you f u c k e r s squatting to complain about the J Hook?

Maybe you guys need more weight on the bar to concentrate on the problem at hand, getting back up

I've had maybe 200 people use my rack and no one has ever mentioned them. We have taken 300kg out of the rack on our backs and no complaints.

Maybe you guys need more weight on the bar to concentrate on the problem at hand, getting back up

LMFAO. Are you saying the 6'8 guy has no problems in the muscle motion rack?

And from what ive read (and used at different gyms), the J hooks are for smoothly sliding the bar of when benching, rather than Pushing it up. I didn't think they matter on squats. I doubt it is a HUGE difference but it defiantly what im used to.

Okay, I'm bemused, EVERY bench should be LIFTED out of the rack, unless you guys are benching 27.5kg.

We have done rack presses with more weight than you guys deadlift out of the rack, I'm really confused.

Anyway, Rory is 6'8" and 140kg, he squats 140kg INSIDE the rack.

I have 5-6 guys taller than you squatting inside the rack. Your not the tallest guy to ever squat lol

Out of interest Jamie, how much are you benching and squatting?

Nobody is whinging about unracking a squat. Its not feasible for many of us to get a bench press set up, yet we'd still like to be able to 'pull' the bar from the rack like a bench press would as opposed to starting the movement with a 10" partial from the j-hooks.

Why? because we (I) spent countless hours filling freezers without a jumper on (woolworth policy) for that rack, and I expect quality.

Actually yeah i understand what you mean now, I think what im talking about was ome gyms had those J hooks fixed at certain heights, and for me on a lift near my max the lower one just wasn't quite comfortable to get up, while the higher one I could just get it up by sliding it out. So in the case of the MMPR its adjustable to the perfect height.

Im dont lift big in way lol, I can only max a bench of 30kg each side and the bar (rew reps myself) (80kg), and a similar squat. Thanks for the advice.

Nobody is whinging about unracking a squat. Its not feasible for many of us to get a bench press set up, yet we'd still like to be able to 'pull' the bar from the rack like a bench press would as opposed to starting the movement with a 10" partial from the j-hooks.

Why? because we (I) spent countless hours filling freezers without a jumper on (woolworth policy) for that rack, and I expect quality.

Actually thats exactly right, i do want my damn J hooks lol

10" Oli, exaggerating just a little lol

I just went outside to measure it.

Are you guys sitting down.

You need to press the bar a total of 1 1/4" to get it out of the J Hooks

I suggest you push your tampons back in and get on with it, this is ridiculous

10" Oli, exaggerating just a little lol

I just went outside to measure it.

Are you guys sitting down.

You need to press the bar a total of 1 1/4" to get it out of the J Hooks

I suggest you push your tampons back in and get on with it, this is ridiculous

Thats 1 1/4" too far. I want to PULL.

All hail the great rack in the sky:

powerrack-platform.jpg

I understand adrian cant have all those features at the cost, but I cant see less metal on the j-hooks being more $$$

If you have a look at his multi rack it appears the design has changed anyway.