• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power rack suitability

meanster

Hi guys,

My first post; so hoping someone can help or advise. I'm a complete noob to power racks.

Have been researching the forum for the last few nights (information overload!). I've been looking at buying a (non-commercial) rack, bench, oly bar & dumbells and as much weight as I can afford for around $1500. Have looked at the following racks and the various packages from the usual suspects (gymdirect, gym&fitness, littlebloke fitness, cyberfit, samsfitness et al):

MMPR
Powertech
Force USA
Cyberfit LC2

However, before I start getting into the pros/cons of these too much I really need to know whether any of these racks are suitable for my circumstances.

1) The room I have to set up my gym is only 234cm (W) x 330cm (L) x 240cm (H). I'm not sure these dimensions would allow me to work with a rack, whichever way around I put it (one way would be too narrow for changing plates/moving bar and the other way around would be too short for removing safeties?). Can anyone confirm whether any of these racks (or similar) would work in a room this size?

2) The room has a mid-quality laminate floating floor. Obviously I would put down 15mm rubber matting, but does anyone know whether a rack that weighed around 100kg, plus any weights I store on or around it, or just working out on that type of floor, will damage it or cause localised sinking etc (I'm in a rental, so can't do much about changing it). I would imagine they can take a few hundred kilos, but I've never really tested it! Does anyone else use a rack on a similar floor or know of anyone that has had issues?

Really appreciate if anyone has any insights and hoping I can then start making decisions on the equipment!

Cheers,

Matt

Hi oldcorollas,

Thanks for the very speedy reply to question 1. The dimensions of the powertec are:

Length: 128cm Width: 127cm Height: 213cm

From the link you sent me, I see the safeties will apparently just pop out within the footprint of the rack, which is great, but do you think having only approx a metre spare room in front of the rack will be enough for any lifting or bench moving required outside the rack? Having never really used a rack except completely inside one, do you see there being any limitations to any exercises I could perform?

Any clue about the flooring, or is it probably not a concern given I probably wouldn't be lifting anything over 200kg (and probably much less) for 6-12 months and obviously the only permanent weight on the floor will be the rack itself (unless I buy a weight tree and keep the weight in one place)?

Get a half rack like the rogue s2. It has 20" spotters for safely catching misses, is 92" tall (234cm) and the pull up bar is 80" (203cm) high so you wont hit your head on the roof doing chins.

Or get an iron edge assault rack and ask it to be cut down to 220cm.

Small foot print and more room for presses, cleans, deadlifts, etc

I just sold my powertec rack to go down the same path.

Hi Drifter,

Thanks for the new line of enquiry. Hadn't thought of half-rack/squat stands because I wasn't sure they would be that stable/solid. I wanted to buy one rack that would last me for years, possibly life (I don't intend to break any lifting records and I'm not the strongest guy (yet, anyway!), so I figured an intermediate half-rack would do me - I know some on here may strongly disagree).

Why did you sell your powertec? Just space limitations? I think I read some of your very first posts when you were choosing the powertec over the MMPR and Force USA and the threads really helped me. Although those half rack/squat stands look ideal for my space limitations, they're still fairly pricey compared to (intermediate) full racks! (Rogue S2 $669, Assault rack $1550!!). Although even the Rogue S2 looks very solid. Have you tested it?

My total budget is around $1500 (rack/bench/oly bb & db & weight), not including flooring (which can add another $100+ as a minimum) or freight. If I went for a half rack, I would also need a dip station or I could get the ironmaster superbench with dip attachment (the IM superbench is already on my list of preferred benches, so that would at least sort that decision).

Was hoping to get most items from one supplier to save on shipping charges, but if I can get a set-up that ticks all my boxes and comes in around budget, I guess I can handle an extra $100 of potential shipping charges.

Last edited:
Anyone have any opinions on the half-rack package from Samsfitness ($1,190.00):

Half Rack Package

I could then add the dip attachment to the bench, add some cheap dumbells and some more weight and it should just come in around budget.

EDIT: I can see that the biggest con of this half-rack are the tiny safeties. However, I won't be training really heavy or to failure on squats, so would this mitigate the issue? I did have a proper look at the rogue S2 - seems the safeties are much safer looking and you can also buy a dip attachment for it. However, Rogueaustralia are out of stock of the s2. Anyone know of any other suppliers who sell it?

Last edited:
ive used a half rack in my garage before and never had a problem if I stopped one short of failure. I have seen bigger safeties which have a double pin for added support not sure which rack it was with though. it all comes down to your personal preference in the end. best of luck in your decision

UFS Top Grade Rack

I went and saw this in the flesh and it was very strong but it is 240cm exactly and cant be customized.

I sold the Powertec rack due to space (i'm now in a smaller garage) and the pull up bar... I would need to spend $180 to ship out an NYBB pull up bar and drill new holes in the rack (although Sam's fitness did say they would help me and let me use their bench drill if I did go down that path; they are awesome guys to deal with).

I'm still agonizing between the Rogue s2 and the assault rack.

Yes, that UFS looks pretty solid, good size safeties and extra long base to compensate. Reasonable price aswell (now I'm conditioned to the price of half-racks/squat stands!). By the way Drifter, thanks for introducing new brands - even more for me to look into ;) Although I value your opinion because, unlike me, you seem to actually check the equipment out in person. However...

I've done a proper measure of the room I intend to use today and it's actually 244cm x 330cm. So I'm thinking the full rack could be back on (I'm just going to assume the laminate floor, once 'rubbered up', will hold the weight without damaging it). My biggest concern was not having enough room either side of the rack to load the bar if i put the rack along the shorter wall, or not having enough room for pulling the bench or the safeties out if I put the rack along the longer wall. I actually think I could fit any of the racks either way now. It won't be ideal but most of us have to make compromises somewhere when picking our gear...

I am assuming a 7ft barbell is actually 7ft long (approx 213.5cm), although I think I read they are actually 220cm long. Can anyone confirm? (I realise the brand might make a difference, but I don't know which brand I'm buying yet).

So, having read pretty much every thread on here regarding the MMPR, ForceUSA, Powertec and Cyberfit racks, it seems to me most people would recommend any of them (but have their own preference), with there being a few minor differences between them all, mostly centered around the chin bar, dip attachment, hole spacing and presence/quantity of band pegs.

I am hoping to buy a package deal, which is why I am leaning towards the powertec at the moment, as I really like the look of the Ironmaster super bench (I know many would suggest I buy a commercial flat bench, but I will def be doing incline work, so want an adjustable bench).

I do like the reputation of the MMPR, and it's chin bar, but the ASFID super FID bench doesn't look that great. I know I could upgrade to the Body Solid FID71 but the gap between the pads looks quite large and can be a nuisance for some.

The Force USA (as long as it's the new narrower one), has some nice little touches, like the band pegs, and the plastic covering the numbers etc. Chin bar looks pretty useful aswell.

The Powertec lacks the best chin but has, by all accounts, a pretty good dip attachment. Obviously the IM super bench also makes it stand out for me, but perhaps I'm over-estimating the bench - initially I loved it for the fact I could add dip and chin attachments when I was thinking I couldn't go with a rack.

The LC2 seems to be great value, but only appears to have one or two diehard fans on here, with it possibly being more about the customer service of cyberfit? White isn't the best colour either, but I may be being a bit like my wife choosing a car here ('it may well have a 0-100 of 5s, but it's the wrong colour!').

I think the facts are this: Yes, I probably need to buy a commercial rack and commercial gear if I want the best stuff that will last me a lifetime, but given my budget, my space limitations and the fact I don't intend to become a monster powerlifter, I reckon any of these intermediate racks and a solid, comfortable bench, upgraded oly bar, some dumbells and enough weight to keep me busy, will not only help me achieve my goals in the comfort of my own home, but also keep me motivated and enjoying working out.

I realise I'm actually thinking out aloud here rather than asking any direct questions (although feel free to answer any I have asked), but I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on the racks mentioned (I know you've already commented on these in previous posts, but it's always good to keep things fresh, and some people may have changed equipment or opinions since they last commented).

Last edited:
UFS Top Grade Rack

I went and saw this in the flesh and it was very strong but it is 240cm exactly and cant be customized.

I sold the Powertec rack due to space (i'm now in a smaller garage) and the pull up bar... I would need to spend $180 to ship out an NYBB pull up bar and drill new holes in the rack (although Sam's fitness did say they would help me and let me use their bench drill if I did go down that path; they are awesome guys to deal with).

I'm still agonizing between the Rogue s2 and the assault rack.

Regarding the assault rack, are you referring to the UFS top Grade rack or the actual assault rack from Iron Edge?

He's talking about the UFS when he speaks about seeing it in the flesh, but is referring to the Iron Edge Assault Rack when he uses the words 'assault rack'. Correct me if I'm wrong drifter!

Why, what's your story mameimo, what are you looking for exactly (if you know!)? Always good to pool information if we can...

think you're right

Hey Drifter, have you also seen the assault rack in the flesh?

When I say Assault Rack, I mean the Iron edge one.

Unfortunately haven't seen one in the flesh.

I'm a big fan of other iron edge kit; although the powder coat on my barbell jack isn't the best and I worry that it would translate to the powder coat on the assault rack.

With Racks, I've only seen 2 homes versions up close:

(seen) MMPR - Awesome chin ups, sabre safeties (which I don't like), shaky but functional dips, passable j-hooks, rear cross member recessed.

(seen) Powertec - good looks, bad chin up bar, great safeties, great dips, passable j-hooks, rear cross member recessed.

Others (unseen):

Gymdirect - good chin up bar, unsure about dips (looks a bit small), sabre safties, best j-hooks (they fit on a powertec rack too), band pegs, rear cross member not recessed (bad for squats and some bench movements).

Also Check out: Bodycraft F430 (gets great reviews), Body Solid power rack (their other stuff is great quality), force USA (seems to be greatly improving and is the same Chinese alibaba brand as Amstaff, Hoist and a few others marketed in the USA).

You will be happy with any of those racks to be honest.

Last edited:
Why, what's your story mameimo, what are you looking for exactly (if you know!)? Always good to pool information if we can...

Just wondering if anyone had seen the UFS top grade rack/aussiestrength spx rack and the iron edge assault rack in the flesh, and could comment if the quality of the two were on par.

Sorry mameimo, can't help you on that, I haven't seen any of these racks in person and am trying to make a buying decision based on opinions only! I'm sure someone here can advise you though. Good luck mate.

Back to my decision, or rather my indecision! I've sort of ruled out the force USA rack just because of its sheer size (147cm(L)x130cm(W)x214cm(H)) - I only have very limited space and need to seriously take that into account.

I'm torn between the MMPR and Powertec racks really. If the chin bar on the powertec was better my decision would be easy. On the other hand, I would go with the MMPR but those dip handles look very shaky and the rack itself seems to be slightly less sturdy than the powertec.

However, in the back of my mind I have the opinion of a guy called 'Brick' on here - he makes a very good point about worrying too much about the equipment as results are largely based on effort, not equipment - I believe he has the Cyberfit LC2; its certainly the cheapest option and the smallest rack (117cmx116cmx215cm), so would probably be my best bet given my space and budget. Just the niggling doubts about the awkward looking rear crossbar and the lack of opinions on the quality of it. Maybe 'Brick' (or others who have the cyberfit LC2) can advise me? (need 10 posts to PM him though, so hoping he reads this before then!). The cyberfit incline bench also doesn't look that great.

I think I'm still leaning more towards the powertec though, with the hope that I can replace the chin bar with the one from the MMPR (read a post on bodybuilding.com about a guy who was planning the same - he seemed to think it was possible and gymdirect were prepared to sell him a chin bar). Not sure if that's still a possibility with the newest ptec racks though?

Drifter - I know you looked at both the powertec and MMR, went with the powertec, but then sold it due to space issues and are now looking for something new, but if you were deciding again between the MMPR & powertec, would you still go with the powertec? Is the chin bar (given I could get by with just doing wide-grip chins) really that much of a let down?

F**k I'm indecisive!

Long post.........

F**k I'm indecisive!

You sir are very indecisive and I have nearly responded to this thread a couple times but thought nahh I won't recommend anything cause he will hate the rack if I tell him to buy it.

I do in fact own an LC2 is a feat of engineering brilliance...NO. Does it do an excellent job of catching failed squats and providing a good place to chin...YES. Was it an affordable way for me to setup a home gym at $1200 for bar/200kg weight/rack and 4m2 rubber delivered...YES. Do I wish I bought a commercial quality rack.. NO. Have I dumped a 4 plate squat and rack pulled 250kg in it without hesitation or any sign of the pins bending...YES. Will I squat 200kg in it sometime this year without even the remotest fear of it not been up to the task ...YES

My advice is buy the cheapest secondhand rack and plates you can find on gumtree or ebay. Better gear is nice but secondary to the drive of the person using it.

This is my gear list as posted in another thread -

Now have the following -
80kg Bumpers
160kg rubber coated 20's
1.25-10kg rubber coated in pairs
2 x 20kg chains
Flat bench & squat rack with dip attachment
Beater bar
custom ABC powerbar
EZ Bar
Fat bar
DB's from 12.5-32.5
T bar row
Hi-lo pulley setup with plate stack

Not bad for $2300, I've been consistently using it for 3 years now so thats only $750 a year.

$2300 hundred for that f*cking cheap if you ask me.

EDIT: I will say I am not the type of person who has to have everything perfect I like my shit a bit ghetto. One mans junk is another mans treasure etc

Last edited:
Cheers Brick, I'm glad you have finally added to the thread - I was hoping you'd weigh in with your opinion of the LC2. An honest and straight-forward review. Part of me completely agrees with you but part of me also wants nice new & shiny quality(ish) gear that will do me for 10+ years. I probably would have already bought one of the cyberfit packages if it wasn't for over-analysing and the overload of information from this and other forums I've frequented!

I've been looking regularly on gumtree and ebay for second-hand stuff but it's not the easiest mission to find and coupled with the fact I'm impatient aswell as indecisive, makes me think I'll just buy everything new at once (well, the basics anyway - I will add stuff as the need/mood arises).

Anyway, I'm trying not to be too verbose again. I have a decision to make...

I'll just throw my 2 cents in as well as an LC2 owner, cheap and does the job, I only have a 140kg squat at the moment but have no fear with the safeties. I have a body solid gfid31bench which fits in nicely.

Cheers Brick, I'm glad you have finally added to the thread - I was hoping you'd weigh in with your opinion of the LC2. An honest and straight-forward review. Part of me completely agrees with you but part of me also wants nice new & shiny quality(ish) gear that will do me for 10+ years. I probably would have already bought one of the cyberfit packages if it wasn't for over-analysing and the overload of information from this and other forums I've frequented!

I've been looking regularly on gumtree and ebay for second-hand stuff but it's not the easiest mission to find and coupled with the fact I'm impatient aswell as indecisive, makes me think I'll just buy everything new at once (well, the basics anyway - I will add stuff as the need/mood arises).

Anyway, I'm trying not to be too verbose again. I have a decision to make...

FWIW I have used a force commercial at GC Barbell (way too wide and a pain) and an normal MMPR at PTC Gold COast, MMPR is marginally better then the LC2 dunno what the price difference is now days.

Given the option I'd save a couple bucks on the rack and put it towards an ABC bar or more plates. If you buy 200kg it only takes a year or two to run out of plates