• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power Cleans

I was "taught" to powerclean by pendlay and a malaysian coach
You dont jump shrug, youre shrugging yourslef around the bar not the bar upwards. This is how you get under fast uoure physically pulling yourself under and around

Where's Fadi? I think he would have a view about whether the deltoids play any role in a power clean other than just being somewhere to rest the bar.

Upright row mean bend in the elbow. I proper clean the elbows should be straight. Shoulders don't really come into it, and if they are then you are not doing it right. Only time I feel anything in the shoulders is from a hang as I have no movement from the legs you tend to cheat a little.

**palms forehead** I'm not saying it's an upright row like a bodybuilder see's. Using it just to reference what type of movement it is. Would explosive vertical pull suit you better?? If you read my first post, you'd notice I said that hang cleans were better if he was trying to get some shoulder involvement.

Where's Fadi? I think he would have a view about whether the deltoids play any role in a power clean other than just being somewhere to rest the bar.

I agree, it would be nice to hear it first hand rather than reading it articles/ journal entries.

The one I think of readily is Christian Thibadeau a former Oly weightlifter turned bodybuilder who loves Cleans for shoulder work because they add some variety to a relatively small muscle group.

people are probably thinking in terms of front delts when they should be thinking of rear laterals

I was at one stage doing them every gym session i am addicted to them.

But typically i would do them on deadlift day, stifflegs, deads, cleans..

cleans are a good deaload weight wise, but still need to employ the same power, to perform the movement, start light, break em down, get the techneque correct, then hammer...After doing heavy deadlifts they feel soo light you can smash em, and they tend to smash you back, i always feel it in my traps, and lats after a good clean session.

if your forearms hurt your are doing it wrong

may need to work on wrist and shoulder flexablity aswell.

**palms forehead** I'm not saying it's an upright row like a bodybuilder see's. Using it just to reference what type of movement it is. Would explosive vertical pull suit you better?? If you read my first post, you'd notice I said that hang cleans were better if he was trying to get some shoulder involvement.

I agree, it would be nice to hear it first hand rather than reading it articles/ journal entries.

The one I think of readily is Christian Thibadeau a former Oly weightlifter turned bodybuilder who loves Cleans for shoulder work because they add some variety to a relatively small muscle group.

I wouldn't palm your forehead, with some of the stuff said here how am I not to assume you meant it as you said it.

Also Oni a squat clean is where you pull yourself under the bar as you are mentioning, a power clean is essentially a jump and shrug.

Not at all... To powerclean the most weight you still need to pull yourself around the bar faster than gravity will allow

Oni, that's true, but that's a small part of the movement, since in power clean you only need to do something like a quarter squat for the weight to land on your shoulders. that part of movement is a lot more important when doing full on clean.

I would say where most people go wrong is actually in getting the weight to shoulder height. They just pull it up with shoulders like bodybuilders would do. Instead of thrusting hips, shurgging the bar and jumping up to power the bar up to the required height.

Yes! Power clean is a explosive movement that isn't aimed at using the maximum weight possible. The idea of a power clean is to pull the bar as high as possible. This is why it's used for athletes. They can work on being explosive and not be handling max weights.

Yes! Power clean is a explosive movement that isn't aimed at using the maximum weight possible. The idea of a power clean is to pull the bar as high as possible. This is why it's used for athletes. They can work on being explosive and not be handling max weights.

Thats completely different what you said in the previous post - you described them as different movements which theyre not. The amount of weight governs how deeply you need to catch the bar.

Ahhh so....

I'll just do them after ohp on Friday, as they fit there and not really any other places that well, regardless of the 81,000 different responses I've gotten!!

But thanks, I enjoy reading everyone's different opinions and views

why not clean and press? powerclean up to OHP? just another option.

i used to do a lot of cleans/ powercleans, not so much now as ive been lazy but i try to at least get hang cleans in when i can, i usually do them on back days. so you wont need to do any shrugs if your doing them properly. and it definately helps improve your deadlift.

remember when from the ground to get the explosive movement off the ground and get power through your heels, start to throw your hips forwards and through when bar is halfway up thighs, then continue upwards movement with a big shrug and you want to be up on your toes by then which will show that you have done a good explosive movement from the gorund . i usually start to duck under the bar when i get it to just below nipple height. if doing full cleans you jump under the bar when its just above waist height. catch the bar and away you go.

a great full body movement id highly recomend to everyone. . takes a bit to learn but when done right you will know.

Last edited:
why not clean and press? powerclean up to OHP? just another option.

I was just doing ohp, then when not having a free rack one day went from the ground, enjoyed it, started doing clean and press, then wanted to separate them so I was still doing ohp and cleans cause I like them..

I think my form is pretty good with it, I've videoed it to make sure and looked right, feels pretty right too

The deltoids need to be strong yes, but their strength needs to be acquired through practical Olympic weightlifting exercises and NOT some bodybuilding deltoid isolation movement, such as dumbbell front raises or some side laterals or bent over dumbbell laterals for examples.

And again Von, you're right on the money when you say that the deltoids are not just there for the bar to rest on. They are there to help keep holding the shoulder joints together, providing strong stability overall.

Now to get stronger in the whole shoulder area, there are several exercises that a weightlifter would resort to, here are a few off the top of my head:

[YOUTUBE]8gIbOy6MZBc[/YOUTUBE]

1. Barbell press behind the neck
2. Barbell press in front
3. Snartch push press (wide grip obviously)
4. Straight legged power snatch and press (that's a wide press in front to finish the movement)
5. Clean grip push press in front/behind neck
6. Shrugs.

[YOUTUBE]RLPxwuGUZBY[/YOUTUBE]

Some may look at shrugs and quickly think but Fadi, that's a trapezius isolation exercises is it not?! And the answer is yes but...

...but the sheer weight pulling down on the shoulder joints, would serve to strengthen the secondary stabiliser muscles, i.e. the deltoids, a much needed element that comes into play in the initial phase of the power clean: lifting off the ground. It's similar to (say) the farmers walk effect on the deltoids and the carry over benefit when it comes to a deadlift. It's all about stabilisation at work. Limit the strength of your stabilisers and you might as well kiss those big weights goodbye. Imagine having super strong legs or huge legs, built by such an exercise as a leg press. That lifter would simply crumble under the sheer weight when he tries to move over to squats for example. Why? Because he would have neglected the most important stabilisers of all, and these two belong to the core, i.e. our abdominal and erector spinae muscles.

Fadi.

Last edited: