• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Post Your Leg Workout

Ok guys this may not be for all of you but here's what I find most effective for getting those stumps super pumped:

(only use this program once a fortnight due to it's intensity and huge impact on your CNS)

Leg Curls, for the pre pump - 2-5 reps at light weight followed by 25 reps X8 at maximum weight (special technique my uncle taught me)

Donkey Raises - Same rep range

15 Star Jumps (if you aren't already exhausted)

And for the rest of the workout I concentrate on doing more important things like biceps this helps to get a good blood flow to the femoral artery obviously resulting in ridiculous stumps.

This part of the exercise usually involves super-setting of preacher curls & swinging DB curls (standing for maximum swing)

This may sound a little unusual to some but the pro's will understand.

Just ask my uncle Pasquale!!

Please post some pics of your legs. This "leg" workout seems unusual to me.

Back squats, usually for reps of 5. Will be changing to 20rep squats though for some 'fun', once I find a good program.

Do calf raises every once in a while, tried front squats, but they feel retarded lol.

Retarded?
Hmmm front squats are great. Possibly your technique is flawed. Are you using snatch grip or cross arm?

Is it possible to do the same weight with front squats as back squats? I struggle to try and swing even 40kg DB's up onto my shoulders.

It really depends on the week - every week is different for me (once a week unless i'm training six days and have recovered from the Tuesday session by Saturday). I tend to follow something similar to what follows

Leg Extensions (light to warm up) a few sets till i'm limber

Rear OR Box OR Front OR Wide Legged Smith Squats, around 5-6 sets - one light, one medium, one heavy, one DAMN heavy, one heavy, one light

Smith OR Hack OR Close (feet) Squats OR Leg Press

Extension to Failure - start medium, to heavy, to max machine for a few sets, then back down again.

Lying or Seated Leg Curls

SLDL or ATG Half Squats

Lying or Seated Leg Curls

Hip Adductors and Abductors when possible

Calves (at LEAST 5 sets, plus ins and outs) <--- two or three times a week

As I said, it depends on the week.

A fantastic exercise that will help you to a. destroy your quads and b. vomit profusely is to jump on a hack squat machine and do a full extension, full depth. HALF extension, full depth. One rep. Full extension, full depth, HALF extension, full depth. Two reps. Guaranteed to make you feel like you deserve a handicapped parking sticker if done with enough weight to cause you to want to cry and start shaking like an epileptic (no offence intended) at 8 reps. Purely because walking or standing or squatting is no longer an option. Around 5 sets.

Oh, and i just LOVE box squats. It feels like you really aren't doing anything, until you put the weight down and try to 'walk it off'

Is it possible to do the same weight with front squats as back squats? I struggle to try and swing even 40kg DB's up onto my shoulders.

It is DAMN hard to squat equally, and few people can. It puts the weight further forward, which means to compensate, your ass moves further back while maintaining a slightly straighter back. you recruit slightly more of your Hammies (which become the weaker point).

For example, I can front squat (barbell) like 120kg, but can easily back squat 140kg, 160kg on a good day.

I've got a mate who can squat only (ONLY!!?!) squat 205kg front, but can smash over 260kg off a box or a regular rear squat.

Workout A

Squats

Workout B

Leg extensions and leg curls (fairly light and high reps using the leg attachment on my bench press)

100_6336.jpg

what kind of weight are you guys using for leg press? generally i'll do between 80-140kg, and rep through feet high / together, low / apart, and straight legs pushing through balls of feet (similar i guess to the technique when using a calf machine...which my gym does not have) - tips welcome!

Today

Squats

5 x 50 kg
5 x 60 kg
3 x 70 kg
5 x 90 kg
3 x 100 kg
6 x 110 kg
20 x 20 kg atg

Leg press

15 x 140kg
15 x 140kg
15 x 140kg
15 x 140kg
15 x 150kg
20 x 120 kg

Leg Extension

5 x 10 x 50kg

what kind of weight are you guys using for leg press? generally i'll do between 80-140kg, and rep through feet high / together, low / apart, and straight legs pushing through balls of feet (similar i guess to the technique when using a calf machine...which my gym does not have) - tips welcome!
I haven't trained the leg press since 2009 (I've only used it for demonstration purposes since then), but the last time I had them in my training I was doing about 220kg for high rep sets (10-20) and about 325kg for 5, if I recall correctly.

warmup with BW squats and light leg extensions

squats
60kg x 12
80kg x 12
100kg x 10
120kg x 10
130kg x 4-8

standing calf raises
118kg x 12
128kg x 12
138kg x 10
148kg x 10
158kg x 8

lying leg curls (unsure of weight just has number of levels)

leg extensions ((unsure of weight just has number of levels)

might start incorporating front squats or leg press and try stimulate quads more

Not that it really matter, but for me when i had slight lower back issues i was pressing 400kg for 8 reps, but now i will generally do leg press after legs are fatigued and rep at around 15 and doing between 160 and 200kg.

Today was 3x8 high bar squats, sets across (after 3 ramping warmup sets), and 3x8 SLDL (same deal).

The rest of my session was other stuff (not legs).

I've 4 workouts which rotate over 3 days per week, so far my work from last Sunday with projected weights for the next 3 workouts is:

Sunday (workout 1):
Squat: 100kg x 10 x 3

Tuesday (workout 2):
Front Squat: 70kg x 3 x 3
Deadlift: (weight undecided yet, because of wrist injury) x 5 reps (1 set)

Thursday (workout 3):
Squat: 115kg x 5 x 3

Sunday (workout 4):
Squat: 135kg x 5 reps 1 set

All workouts have 4 warm-up sets with weights building up to the working weight. The weights get increased by 5kg the next rotation. I've been doing this for 2 months and so far it's working great.