• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Personal Trainer/ gym instructor part time jobs?

I don't know about whether this or that foreign certificate or registration is recognised in Australia.

An informative relevant post I will entertain!
When you say recognized does that mean there is now a set government standard or would it be up to the individual gym to recognize it?
I guess from what you have said previously you might mean the latter.

Zarkov said:
When you say recognized does that mean there is now a set government standard or would it be up to the individual gym to recognize it?
I guess from what you have said previously you might mean the latter.
There is a set government standard for qualifications, same as for all TAFE or uni courses. Seems like in many cases it's just an excuse to charge foreigners some extra money for tests, but there it is. As I said, there's no regulation of the gym industry; but there is regulation of the qualifications which just happened to be related to the gym industry.

It's up to the individual gym, most will think of their insurance. Gyms like any place of work, place of selling products or providing services, they have a "reasonable duty of care" towards the people there. If something happens, the victim may sue; the place then has to try to demonstrate that it did take a reasonable duty of care towards the person.

Part of that reasonable duty of care is ensuring that the people doing the work or providing the goods or services have appropriate qualifications and/or experience. "Did they know what they were doing?" the court will ask.

For example, let's say that someone injured themselves during an exercise, they weren't performing it safely. Let's say there were no witnesses, and an instructor had previously showed them through the exercise. The gym says, "we showed the person, not our fault if they ignored what we said." The person says, "I did what they showed me, what they showed me was wrong."

If the instructors are qualified and registered, the court is likely to find that on balance of probabilities the gym did show the person the right way to do things, and so they did indeed show a reasonable duty of care. If the instructors are just some muscular guys the gym hired off the street, the court is less likely to find that they showed a reasonable duty of care - they just hired meatheads.

You or I might be sceptical of the usefulness of the qualification and say that some particular other guy who's unqualified but experienced actually knows better, but that's not the way courts and insurance companies tend to see it.

Sometimes enough experience will be viewed as a qualification in itself. But courts will tend to say, "if you're so experienced, a qualification should have been easy to get, why didn't you get it?"

So with risks of court action, and insurance against it, in practice mainstream gyms will hire only qualified people. Small-scale gyms and self-employed people might not care. That's small business, they're more about personal relationships and trust than official procedures and bits of paper, as the business gets bigger things get more formal, that's life.

Plus, there are so many qualified people running around, why would you hire unqualified ones? A gym I know of was hiring 3 PTs, they got 300 applications. You're running a multi-million dollar business, you get 300 resumes for 3 positions, the first thing you'll do is bin all those without qualifications.

Again, a small place will be different, and it'll be much more about who you know and how much they trust you. Markos is not going to look through 300 resumes unless they have pictures of hot women on them, and it doesn't matter how many certificates, diplomas or degrees you get, he is never going to let you train his lifters unless you've squatted at least four plates a side :D

I havnt read all replies but fitness aus who you have to reg with is a total joke - the fitness industry as a whole is a joke in Australia - its funny how most "unqualified" ppl are the most qualified!

Yes there is legal things that need to be put in place - mainly insurance - but I would hire ppl on lifting background and experience with lifting - not what certs they have.

I have had ppl with all the certs in the world and when it comes down to programming and training ppl they are shit - I had one guy and he must of had 10 diff certs in diff crap and I was talking to one of his clients the other day (his goal is strength/purely strength!) - he said in a year and 8 months this "trainer" had taken his deadlift from 60kgs-100kgs and this dude thought that was great - he weighed 92kgs...........................................................

Time under the bar is the most important thing a trainer will ever have!

Deadlift from 60 to 100kg in 20 months? 2kg a month?

I assume the client was not elderly and had no complicating health conditions and actually did some exercise outside of (say) a fortnightly session with the trainer?

Deadlift from 60 to 100kg in 20 months? 2kg a month?

I assume the client was not elderly and had no complicating health conditions and actually did some exercise outside of (say) a fortnightly session with the trainer?

21 yr old male - perfect health nothing wrong with him.

Oh yea and he did a "program" that the trainer wrote for him - 2 days a week outside his 1 session a week with trainer

Oh well, I guess there's no certificate for CDF.* Though it'd be nifty to put on the business card. "PT Kyle, Cert IV, CDF".

That's "Common Dog ****", a rude Army way of saying common sense.

Wonder how much money that guy spent on the trainer to get a 100kg DL.

A healthy 92kg 21 y.o should be able to deadlift that straight off the first session. I got 110kg DL in my first session as a 86kg fat bastard.

Mattias, come do your degree in Melbourne and get a job at my gym! Then I can finally have a real trainer! :D

You have lots of possible "real trainers", Dan, you are just too lazy to drive over to see them, and too stingy to pay for them :p

Stingy no (the cost is dirt cheap to me), but not having enough time in the day to drive over, yes. :p

That place is the only reason I could ever think of to go anywhere near Frankston.

• No qualifications or registration (ie membership of the professional organisation) are required to call yourself a PT or coach or anything like that.
  • mainstream gyms will only employ qualified people, but vary in whether they require registration
  • small-scale gyms, and self-employed people, these can do what they want
  • insurance is harder to get if you are unqualified or unregistered, but it is not impossible if you have experience and/or a previous relationship with the company
I don't know about whether this or that foreign certificate or registration is recognised in Australia.

Assuming all the certificates and registrations work out, I should think that being in his 30s and with a competition bodybuilding history behind him, and pursuing a degree in a health field, Mattias won't have a problem finding employment in a gym. He's mature, he looks the part, and will know his stuff. That's 3 more things than most trainers and coaches in Australia have, most are lucky to have 1 of the 3.

Thanks for a great answer Kyle, have not been around for a while so I saw the post now.

I talked with the Swedish company (SAFE) I got my certification from and they said that my certification is valid in Australia, Safe are a member of Fisaf that have organisations in Aus too.

Can you recommend any Personal Trainer books to by, need to lern English terms and practise fitness English.

Thanks again.

/Mattias

ACSM Resources for the Personal Trainer. Good book if you block out some of the training advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you recommend any Personal Trainer books to by, need to lern English terms and practise fitness English.
Remember you will be speaking in two different ways: to fitness professionals and medical people, and to clients.

Clients need simple English, most won't know what quadriceps or spinal erectors are. Fitness professionals and medical people you use Latin terms with, latissimus dorsi, plantar flexion, horizontal extension, adduction, and so on. I'm sure you use the same Latin in your own country, so it'll be easy here.

There are some fitness professionals who are less clear on the Latin. I was at a workshop recently, the instructor said, "okay, get on the ground in a prone position -" and some were lying face-down, some face-up, some looked around to see what everyone else was doing, etc. Treat those people as clients not knowing the terminology, and don't worry about them, they won't last long in the industry.

Remember you will be speaking in two different ways: to fitness professionals and medical people, and to clients.

Clients need simple English, most won't know what quadriceps or spinal erectors are. Fitness professionals and medical people you use Latin terms with, latissimus dorsi, plantar flexion, horizontal extension, adduction, and so on. I'm sure you use the same Latin in your own country, so it'll be easy here.

There are some fitness professionals who are less clear on the Latin. I was at a workshop recently, the instructor said, "okay, get on the ground in a prone position -" and some were lying face-down, some face-up, some looked around to see what everyone else was doing, etc. Treat those people as clients not knowing the terminology, and don't worry about them, they won't last long in the industry.

Yes the latin is same and I know you have to speak different to clients than to Fitness professinals, I meant a good book that are equal to my Swedish education books but in English.

/Mattias

Sorry guys ,that was the funniest thing,
latins , latin it's a langauge.

mattias your be fine buddy , you should be able to find a job No probs my english qualifications were reconised,

You might have to grow spikey hair and dye it blond and get a fake spray on tan,oh and some really shiney trainers with airbubble things in them,to get a job in one off the big gyms .

it's not a great earner you won't make much money, very few make the dollars in PT

Same as in any job, the people doing the most basic work don't get the big money, that goes to managers, writers, teachers of the skills, people with gimmicks who buddy up to celebrities, and so on.

That's okay, the pay is okay, I'm not in it for the money.

it's not a great earner you won't make much money, very few make the dollars in PT

I made money here in Sweden and I think it's much easier in Oz to make money as a personal trainer :D
You have to make a name and get a good reputation amongst clients and the money will start to drop in.

/Mattias