• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Personal Trainer advice

Cals in vs cals out and follow macros.

It's that simple.

If your dumb enough to eat 2000 cals of Tim tams you deserve to be fat and have diabetes.

Last edited:
thems harsh words lol

But I think what Hammer was trying to point out and what Bazza summed up perfectly, is the education of people nutritionally is important prior to commencing anything. Even something as simple as calories in/calories out.

Because we're human beings, there are indeed some individuals on the planet who would ensure almost all of those calories were alcohol and crap and still hope to lose weight?

And who knows? Maybe they might?

I watched a documentary on a man who consumed McDonalds for breakfast/lunch and dinner every day, for 6 months. He actually lost weight - but his blood pressure went up, his cholesterol levels were dangerously high and his overall sense of well being diminished rapidly.

That's why I'm of the opinion that your health is much more important than fat loss itself. The fat will come off, if you're taking good care of your body.

And yes, calories in/calories out - is the simple base for fat loss.

So educating people in nutrition is important, which is what this PT sounds like she was trying to do, as a starting point, which I commend.

In any case, we all know fat loss isn't a simple thing. The weight loss industry aint a billion dollar industry because it's easy for everyone to shed the kilo's ;)

Look forward to the update on your gf's progress Syd...I hope the PT is able to assist her :)

PT is a tard.

I'd stick with you're program, eat the macros that the dexa scan said & save cash from PT.

One thing we need to remember is that the three elements of; fat, sugar and salt combined together is an addictive combination.

You really got to take things slowly here, losing fat too quick makes people slip back into bad habits when things get tough, they usually go back to food as comfort.

With the information given in this thread how could you know this??

1500 cals is a 100 calorie deficit from her dexa macros.
My dexa has me at 1500 calories so I run at 1400 when i want to lose weight. Otherwise i stick to 1500 calories.
2000 calories is a surplus of 400 calories of her recommended Dexa calories.
Calories in / calories out.

thems harsh words lol

Because we're human beings, there are indeed some individuals on the planet who would ensure almost all of those calories were alcohol and crap and still hope to lose weight?

And who knows? Maybe they might?

They would lose weight no question about it. If your putting in less then your expending you will lose weight regardless of what your diet is made up of.

1500 cals is a 100 calorie deficit from her dexa macros.
My dexa has me at 1500 calories so I run at 1400 when i want to lose weight. Otherwise i stick to 1500 calories.
2000 calories is a surplus of 400 calories of her recommended Dexa calories.
Calories in / calories out.

The dexa resting metabloic rate values are just an estimate like those formulas you see on the net but with the dexa values plugged into it. It is not exact. You need to find out yourself what you maintenance calories are.

The dexa resting metabloic rate values are just an estimate like those formulas you see on the net but with the dexa values plugged into it. It is not exact. You need to find out yourself what you maintenance calories are.

1500 sits good with me, the plan for lean maintenance on my PTC plan was 1450, not sure what program he uses.

1500 sits good with me, the plan for lean maintenance on my PTC plan was 1450, not sure what program he uses.

Never said it didn't. 1500 works for you doesn't mean it will work for others.

I know if I use those calorie estimators I can eat about 1500-2000 more calories than they suggest for maintenance and still stay the same weight.

Never said it didn't. 1500 works for you doesn't mean it will work for others.

I know if I use those calorie estimators I can eat about 1500-2000 more calories than they suggest for maintenance and still stay the same weight.

If only the calorie estimators were true....I could eat so much more! :p

I think whats important for sydkings mrs is that she develops some good eating and training habits first then extend from there.

If your method wasn't working for her then this may be the way to go. Give it a chance and see just because it is now theoretically optimal does not mean it is not the best method for her.

The outside influence might just be what she needs.

The only thing that got my husband motivated and choosing to do it for himself was just that - doing it himself. Once I stayed out of it he worked his way through it. Initially he did lite 'n easy (with me cringing at all the processed crappy carbs and minimal protein).. after the weight started coming off he listened to bits and pieces of my advice about macros and whatnot.

Now we both weight our food and chat about if we have reached our macro targets and if we have enough calories left to fit in a glass of wine, lol. Better than allowing each other to 'indulge' and get fat like we did for so many years...

Another update,

PT dosent want her doing any weights ect untill she gets the basics down, Constant good eating and cardio to start with before anything else.

Another thing i found was silly,

she said its not good to do the same program, Eg the BB beginers in relation to mucle memory ect ect.

My argument was adding weight and intensity each week is more then enough change.

common sense if you stay at the same weight and rest time nothing will change.

Another update,

PT dosent want her doing any weights ect untill she gets the basics down, Constant good eating and cardio to start with before anything else.

she said its not good to do the same program, Eg the BB beginers in relation to mucle memory ect ect.

My argument was adding weight and intensity each week is more then enough change.

Tell the PT to visit this forum to enlighten us, we need help.

Another update,

lol

Maybe the PT see's that your gf needs to focus on getting the basic level stuff sorted out first? And I don't think that's a silly thing at all.

For anyone who needs to lose a large amount of weight, getting your eating right is absolutely paramount, or you'll go nowhere, no matter how much cardio or strength training you do?

Cardio, even something as simple as a couple of HIIT workouts a day, builds a foundation of commitment and the basic understanding of the fundamental cal in/cal out argument.

Weight lifting or strength training, whilst important, won't help her to lose weight, unless she's got the intake under control to actually lose the fat, which is her primary aim afterall.

Let's not diss the PT...they have their place and purpose. Your gf needs someone external to help her understand what we all know already - which is cals in/cals out yes, but she needs to find a method that triggers the commitment and desire to keep going.

IMO learning about diet and nutrition is the biggest gift you can give yourself, everything after that, is the re-build. But a stable foundation is key to fat loss.