• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PA raw nats

Spritcha

I just heard there are over 130 lifters nominated for the PA raw nats powerlifting and another 30 in bench only. That's awesome!!!
Considering its the 3rd year it has run and that it's run separately from equipped nats it looks like a clear sign the sport has taken off!!

Where is it being held?
Would be good to watch, I'm going to the pub when the benching is on though

Who is your coach?

Kirisome looks a big unit. Should be a great SHeavy event, along watching other guns of Aust powerlifting.

Last edited:
Who is your coach?

Kirisome looks a big unit. Should be a great SHeavy event, along watching other guns of Aust powerlifting.

Anna Papij. She's such a good coach. Made the biggest difference in my training in the last few months ever.

She's not competing to win, but working on her A grading.

Should be a great event.

Good luck to Anna. That is all you should do, go for a pb and grading. What anyone else does is out of your control. Achieve your own goals and you always win.

In hindsight I think we can now say that two things have been an enormous success for PA/IPF:
- the introduction of a raw division
- the IPF reduction of weight classes, which was very controversial at the time.

Excluding bench only:
43 female competitors across the 7 weight divisions
In the men's 74, 83, 93, 105 there are more than 10 entrants in each division. In the 83s alone, there are 28 entrants. In other words, its a real competition. And entrants had to qualify.

GPC is no doubt also expecting a very big turnout at their nats while also introducing qualifying totals this year.

I think it's fair to say we are entering a golden age of powerlifting.

Kirisome is a beast!! Awesome guy too!! Danny Nemani from Nuie is also lifting- he is a commonwealth games oly lifter. I'm injured- so ill be crap. :(

I really think raw powerlifting should now be an olympic sports. There are so many combat sports, although they (wrongly) dumped wrestling from 2020, so why not a second strength lifting spot.

Many, many people lift and have an assoiation with lifts like bench and squat at least.

Apart from squat depth as a refereeing issue, deadlift and bench quite straight forward to judge and view.

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but the IPF does appear very professional.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Is it common for people to have coaches now in the non-elite ranks?

yes very common. most people are training as part of a club or training group rather than solo. if anything it's more likely to be the elite lifters that don't have an actual coach.

Not many lifters at Nationals don't have a nominated coach. But it's a lot easier to self coach now that equipment is out of the equation. No need to wrap etc, so much more opportunity to put in attempt cards.

I just heard there are over 130 lifters nominated for the PA raw nats powerlifting and another 30 in bench only. That's awesome!!!
Considering its the 3rd year it has run and that it's run separately from equipped nats it looks like a clear sign the sport has taken off!!

130 lifters! - that is very impressive and a very good sign.

Spartacus-
Not serious. In fact, the issues are pretty much fixed now, but the challenge I face is that I had to take time off with no training. So I'm going in to lift seriously detrained. Pretty much competing after only a couple of weeks of training.
I think my squat and deadlift are about 30kg or so off what they normally are. I had been thinking I should just sit it out as a bad performance won't do me any favours- but it turns out I have to lift to qualify for worlds anyway.

Last edited:
Spartacus-
Not serious. In fact, the issues are pretty much fixed now, but the challenge I face is that I had to take time off with no training. So I'm going in to lift seriously detrained. Pretty much competing after only a couple of weeks of training.
I think my squat and deadlift are about 30kg or so off what they normally are. I had been thinking I should just sit it out as a bad performance won't do me any favours- but it turns out I have to lift to qualify for worlds anyway.

If its not too personal spritcha, what was the injury?

Good luck to Anna. That is all you should do, go for a pb and grading. What anyone else does is out of your control. Achieve your own goals and you always win.

Yep, she's got the right focus.
Keeps hinting I should have a go in my weightclass (<47kg) when I've got my squat back up (injured for a few months) but I'm not a comp person.
Although looking at the raw totals in that class...I'd qualify comfortably soon.

But i'm happy to go watch and cheer!! It's great stuff. I'm no fan of equipped lifting...much prefer raw. It has to be just you and the weight in my eyes. :)