• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PA Nationals - Land of the Pharaohs

maybe next year- I need to get a little better before I make the step onto the nationals platform

so If I was going to watch a session day 2 would be the best?
What kind of lifts will I see on day 2?

Hi new to this forum. The A group lifter session on Day 2 will be massive for sure.

Some of the highlights for me will be:

100kg class
Richard Hozjan - recently did sq 322.5kg - Australian record, bp 235kg, dl 312.5kg, totalled 870kg, also Australian record
David Jame - sq 321kg, which was also the Australian record at the time, might deadlift 320kg - might total 800kg
Tim Germanchis - has totalled over 800kg, with 300+ squat and 317.5kg deadlift

You may see the Australian squat and total record broken again in July.

110kg class
Chris Caltibiano - not sure whether he is lifting as a 110 or 125, but has totalled over 900kg and benched 275kg

Stephen Pritchard - recently squatted 370kg, benched 280kg and deadlifted around 280kg from memory
Odell Manuel - hasn't competed this year, but has squatted and deadlifted over 350kg, and could potentially be the first Australian to break 1000kg total

125+
Nathan Baxter - not sure whether he's competing 3-lift, but benched 290kg at the Worlds last month
Adam Pinkard - this guy could squat 400kg+ if all goes right on the day.

Whats happened with Odell?

Was he injured because I've heard nothing on him since the last PA nats.

Really bad knee injury that looked like it may have required surgery, but from all accounts it has cleared up a bit now and he's back training hard.

Can't confirm whether he will be at Nationals, but I hope he is.

Welcome strong enough.

Richard is an excellent lifter, but its not an Australian record, just a PA record.

Adam Coe totalled 960kg @ 100kg in the early 90's.

Most of the lifts you claim to be Australian records are incorrect. More than one fed in Australia.

Do you compete big fella, and if so, will you be competing at the PA nats?

Does anyone think we will see a 1000lb squat in the near future at any fed's national event?

I think a few guys have got it in them.

I'd be happy to see 900lbs first lol

Baby steps Joel.

Paul Nay has done 400kg (881lb)

Adam Pinkard has done 385kg (848lb)

Steve Brown has done 385kg (848lb)

I think 2 young guys that could crack 1000lbs within the near future are Greg Gordon and Matt Middleton.

Gregs best effort is 295kg. Matts is 302.5kg I think.

1000lbs is 453.5kg.

Both these boys lifted in the 90kg and 100kg class.

They will need to add 25kg-50kg bodyweight first, then worry about the extra 150kg they need to squat.

Both are kids, if they can stay in the sport long enough and injury free, then anything is possible I suppose.

When Adam squatted 370kg @ 99kg in 1993, the equipment wasnt nearly as good as today. I would love to see him lift with todays equipment.

Gregs best effort is 295kg. Matts is 302.5kg I think.

1000lbs is 453.5kg.

Both these boys lifted in the 90kg and 100kg class.

They will need to add 25kg-50kg bodyweight first, then worry about the extra 150kg they need to squat.

Both are kids, if they can stay in the sport long enough and injury free, then anything is possible I suppose.

When Adam squatted 370kg @ 99kg in 1993, the equipment wasnt nearly as good as today. I would love to see him lift with todays equipment.

Yea Adams 370 is intense.

Matty is going for 250-260 next weekend at 72-75kgs (knee wraps)

Yea Matts best squat is 302.5kg RAW belt/knee wraps @ 90 odd kgs

Last edited:
To be precise, they're equipped PA Australian records. I thought it was implied.

Obviously PA and CAPO records are not comparable for various reasons: lifting equipment allowed, 24 hour weigh-in vs 2 hour weighin for PA, squat racks vs monolith, judging interpretation differences etc That's not to denigrate CAPO records or say PA records are more impressive, just to say neither can be compared to the other, for the same reasons raw cannot be compared to equipped. Adam Coe's lifts stand out for the fact that they were in the days when equipment was much less advanced - so much of the comparisons I referred to above don't apply. There's also the testing point, I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole - people will have their own opinions and I don't see any point in engaging in the politics.

There are some PA/IPF records from the 80s which would also still stand today, but all PA records prior to 1991 were expunged following as a result of the Drugs in Sport Senate Inquiry when PA adopted in and out of competition testing. It's interesting that many of the pre-drug testing Australian IPF records were only broken recently, despite major advancements in equipment. Take out of that what you will.

I compete, but haven't qualified for the Nats. Hoping to do so for next year, but qualification standards have increased this year so plenty of work to do between now and then.

Last edited:
Hi new to this forum. The A group lifter session on Day 2 will be massive for sure.

Some of the highlights for me will be:

100kg class
Richard Hozjan - recently did sq 322.5kg - Australian record, bp 235kg, dl 312.5kg, totalled 870kg, also Australian record
David Jame - sq 321kg, which was also the Australian record at the time, might deadlift 320kg - might total 800kg
Tim Germanchis - has totalled over 800kg, with 300+ squat and 317.5kg deadlift

You may see the Australian squat and total record broken again in July.

110kg class
Chris Caltibiano - not sure whether he is lifting as a 110 or 125, but has totalled over 900kg and benched 275kg

Stephen Pritchard - recently squatted 370kg, benched 280kg and deadlifted around 280kg from memory
Odell Manuel - hasn't competed this year, but has squatted and deadlifted over 350kg, and could potentially be the first Australian to break 1000kg total

125+
Nathan Baxter - not sure whether he's competing 3-lift, but benched 290kg at the Worlds last month
Adam Pinkard - this guy could squat 400kg+ if all goes right on the day.

this should not take anything away from the lifters in the other sessions...I love to watch the lighter divisions as much as the heavier divisions some of these guys will be squatting and pulling up around 4 x bw and 10 x total, and I really enjoy watching the masters lifters, in particular Max Bristow. PA has many world class and world record holders in the masters divisions both male and female.

jonnie, that's spot on. When I'm not spotting, manning the warm-up room or wrapping knees, I will be watching as many sessions as possible.

wow- sounds cool. Just not sure I can get there for both days.

I'm more impressed by weight lifted than % of bodyweight. I want to see dudes squat 800lbs and more, bench 600lbs and more, deadlift 700lbs and more. Thats day 2 right?