• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
well there's only 1 weightlifting fed that is also drug tested correct? So you have everyone who wants to do weightlifting in the one federation, competing on a relatively equal playing field.

Are there many old weightlifters? I was under the impression that it's a sport that takes more of a toll on the athlete than powerlifting.

Maybe one day IPF will get Olympic recognition (I really hope so!).

There are a few masters WL around, some of them still putting up some decent weights, but definitely lacking the mobility of the younger lifters. The sport does horrific things to the body.

PA Pretty Average it's tested and there aren't many lifters, all novices will bow to the establishment or get red lights

GPC = Giant Puffy Countenance lots of guys with big bloated faces gaining 200kg on their totals in 12 months I'm natural I just want lift with my friends

CAPO = Cuckoos And Past Oberfuhrers. That's not a swastika on my Harley it's a Buddhist symbol.

bit annoyed to find a week out from the comp that I have to buy a bloody IPF approved singlet because our club ones are no longer allowed tbh. Also can only wear club or event t shirts (otherwise HAS to be plain).

bit annoyed to find a week out from the comp that I have to buy a bloody IPF approved singlet because our club ones are no longer allowed tbh. Also can only wear club or event t shirts (otherwise HAS to be plain).

I would also be annoyed.

good luck in comp bozodos.

Just an update, as of today, GPC has over 580 financial members.

I have about 30 forms here to load in, so we should see over 600 by Sunday night.

Thanks for your support everyone :)

There have been some big things happen in Australian powerlifting over the last few days, but I'll just comment on GPC.

When GPC Australia first came on the scene early 2012, we copped a lot of negativity for things like "dividing a small sport" and "not need for another federation".
That was less than 3 years ago.

Even with the negativity thrown around at the time, We knew we had something special to offer - Something that wasn't offered by federations 20 years our senior.
We persisted, we worked hard, and we listened to our members. We delivered meets in the way we thought best to grow our sport; fast, fair, fun and entertaining.
As the months passed, more and more lifters came to see what our meets were like, and we saw them on the platform very soon after...... And it hasn't slowed.

Today marks a big milestone for us, today we broke 600 financial members (GPC Members Registry) with at least 40 more to add into the data base early next week when their funds have cleared..
I believe this is something never to have been done in Australian history.

Powerlifting means the world to me, my entire life is built around it. So to have well over 600 people believing in what we do is an incredibly awesome feeling.

Be confident that Gpc Australia has no plan on slowing. If you guys keep showing up to our meets, we will keep doing everything in our power to keep this sport moving forward.

Thank you for supporting GPC Australia.

my article is about to be published, I did say GPC fastest growing fed, so got that right.

It is incredible that PA does not publish membership.

This is from my article

However,as the above data is limited to PA lifters, the partial scope of drug testingfor Australian powerlifters does represent a substantial policy failure in programmaticterms given that only around half of Australia’s estimated 1200-1400powerlifters by 2014 are subject to drug testing protocols. While PA’s CEO Robert Wilks did not answer severalemail requests during 2013 for membership numbers, there were around 460individuals competing at least once in PA competitions during 2012 (PA 2014a),with Wilks himself providing an estimate of 500 lifters to the IPF’s annualreport in line with the number of drug tests taken (IPF 2013). In the case ofthe ADFPF, the other federationthat is committed to drug-testing as part of its affiliation withthe WDFPF, there were 83members (Email from ADFPF 9 August 2013). Of the federations withlittle or no drug testing, GPC Australia, formed in 2012 as the nationalaffiliate of the Global Powerlifting Committee, had 455 members as of 3 May2014 (GPC 2014). CAPO, affiliated with the WPC and the Global PowerliftingAlliance since 2012, had 179 members as of 26 July 2013 (CAPO 2013a), although somelifters also compete in GPC given no restrictions between them.

Interms of powerlifting participation over recent decades, it is difficult toknow whether the sport has grown under PA’s leadership. While there are around1200-1400 powerlifters by 2014, total numbers may be no greater than during the1980s, although past data appears inconsistent and, perhaps, exaggerated forfunding purposes. In December 1989, Wilks estimated that the APF had around 1000-1200seniors and 7000-9000 juniors, along with 150-200 in the ADFPF (Parliament ofAustralia 1990, 270). However, it was reported that Wilks indicated during a May1985 meeting that the then AAPLF had around 700 members, with the meetingsuggesting that membership numbers be upgraded to 2,000 given that manysporting organisations were bidding for ASC assistance (Parliament of Australia1990, 236).

Whateverthe reality in terms of PA numbers, the ASC has indicated that one of thereasons for PA losing direct funding from 2005-06, notwithstanding ongoingpublic funding for drug testing by ASADA, was low participation numbers and a lowprofile within the Australian community (Email from ASC 19 August 2013).

Incontrast to a lack of transparency by PA about membership numbers, other IPFaffiliates document membership numbers, including federations that receive nogovernment assistance. For example, the Canadian PowerliftingUnion (CPU) membership rose each year from 556 in 2008to reach 1309 in 2013 (CPU 2014a, p. 15), while USA Powerlifting (USAPL) membershipincreased from around 3400 in 2006 to near 4500 by 2011 (USAPL 2013a, p. 5). In the case of the Great Britain Powerlifting Federation (GBPF), its2013 StrategicPlan indicates membership of 815 in 2012, with a need to increase numbers to 1500in order to gain National Governing Body status (GBPF 2013a).

I have asked journal to update GPC membership to 609 as of 3 Feb. 2015, just today after being asked to read final draft again.

wow, just looked at CAPO facebook.

[h=5]CAPO Powerlifting Australia
[/h]January 31 at 1:28am ·

Official announcement
*CAPO is now trading under Capo Australian Powerlifting Pty. Ltd.
*The director is Steve Harris and the committee is made up of Daniel Cann, Shane Naylor, Brendan Hains and Ange Galati at this stage.
*There has been no changes to the state reps.
*The competition calendar remains the same excluding any possible future competitions
... CAPO would like to give our sincerest gratitude to our exiting committee members Karen Colero, Laurie Butler, Taylor Young and Wayne Howlett. Karen has done an amazing job as secretary and has moved mountains to bring us the Worlds last year. Laurie and Taylor have always been there with the knowledge and the wisdom to steer us down the right path.
And Wayne, what could be said briefly that would do him justice? He has changed the face of powerlifting in this country but now wants to focus on his lifting and we applaud him and his decision. Wayne will still be around supporting capo and the lifters as he unselfishly has always done. CAPO is ever moving forward from strength to strength and will continue to bring you the best events Australia has seen. The new look CAPO will bring excitement, bigger prizes and more rewards to its members.

one other difference I don't think has been mentioned, is weigh in times before a comp differ between feds, shorter for PA.