• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Then everyone should be a physical specimen with optimal natural muscle growth.

Most people don't train very hard or regularly and you still have to get overall calories and macros better than what the average person eats. Meal timing is the 1%er stuff.

For the people saying they haven't noticed any difference, how have you measured?

I don't think it's the sort of thing you could measure over a period less than a year, and you would have to have several previous years to compare to.

FYI for others -

Form a contemporary Aragon and Schoenfeld article:

Distilling the data into firm, specific recommendations is difficult due to the inconsistency of findings and scarcity of systematic investigations seeking to optimize pre- and/or post-exercise protein dosage and timing. Practical nutrient timing applications for the goal of muscle hypertrophy inevitably must be tempered with field observations and experience in order to bridge gaps in the scientific literature. With that said, high-quality protein dosed at 0.4–0.5 g/kg of LBM at both pre- and post-exercise is a simple, relatively fail-safe general guideline that reflects the current evidence showing a maximal acute anabolic effect of 20–40 g [53, 84, 85]. For example, someone with 70 kg of LBM would consume roughly 28–35 g protein in both the pre- and post exercise meal. Exceeding this would be have minimal detriment if any, whereas significantly under-shooting or neglecting it altogether would not maximize the anabolic response.
Due to the transient anabolic impact of a protein-rich meal and its potential synergy with the trained state, pre- and post-exercise meals should not be separated by more than approximately 3–4 hours, given a typical resistance training bout lasting 45–90 minutes.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5

Most people don't train very hard or regularly and you still have to get overall calories and macros better than what the average person eats. Meal timing is the 1%er stuff.
I would say that having a fast absorbing high protein meal post workout is part of your macros and calories. All of your replies are maybes, ifs and buts. Like I said, you could just cover all bases and have a food/product exactly designed for the scenario discussed. Seems like there's more effort in fighting it.

I know it's what I started doing and I started getting better results. I always have a scoop of protein in a shaker bottle in my gym bag. It also keeps me full until I have time to get home and make a proper meal.

I would say that having a fast absorbing high protein meal post workout is part of your macros and calories. All of your replies are maybes, ifs and buts. Like I said, you could just cover all bases and have a food/product exactly designed for the scenario discussed. Seems like there's more effort in fighting it.

I know it's what I started doing and I started getting better results. I always have a scoop of protein in a shaker bottle in my gym bag. It also keeps me full until I have time to get home and make a proper meal.

If you are eating 3-6 meals a day you will have nutrients already absorbing as you're working out and after wether you have a shake straight after or not. It's not going to do any harm if you do though.

I think you are selling yourself short. Your results are not due to a shake they are due to your hard work.

Human nutrition is all maybes and best guesses. It's so hard to study and get definite answers because you can't run blinded, placebo controlled study's and lock people up for 3 years and force them to eat a certain way and see what happens. We have much better knowledge on farm animal nutrition because it's much easier to control and manipulate their diet over long periods of time.

For the people saying they haven't noticed any difference, how have you measured?
I'm not really trying to gain or lose weight so it's probably not as critical. Weight hasn't changed, strength hasn't changed. I usually just have them when trying to gain weight as it's an easy way to bump up my protein content and calories without thinking about it or eating half a dozen eggs.

If you are eating 3-6 meals a day you will have nutrients already absorbing as you're working out and after wether you have a shake straight after or not. It's not going to do any harm if you do though.

I think you are selling yourself short. Your results are not due to a shake they are due to your hard work.

Human nutrition is all maybes and best guesses. It's so hard to study and get definite answers because you can't run blinded, placebo controlled study's and lock people up for 3 years and force them to eat a certain way and see what happens. We have much better knowledge on farm animal nutrition because it's much easier to control and manipulate their diet over long periods of time.

Thats perfect.

it really is about what you eat throughout the week and how *hard* you work and how much sleep that counts as opposed to day to day...windows and such.

I train at home so I a eating within 10-15 minutes anyway. ;)

no routine going well, smashed some sholders today with random exercises and volume, then some arms, then some cardio,then some stretching. prolly in the gym hour and a half which is pretty unheard of for me!

For me personally I couldn't do a truly random workout. You have that learning period with all new exercises then you have the true strength/muscle gain part. If you are just doing random exercises and don't come back to the same exercise for a month I think it's better than nothing but pretty inefficient way to train and will result in spinning your wheels pretty soon.

when i say random i just meant in terms of sets and order. was mainly side/front raisers for sholders. just picked what to do as i went along