• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

newbie seeking starting out setup advise

bert.

hi im just starting out in the weight training loosely doing reg parks beginners 5x5 trying to build a bit of muscle
now joining a gym is out of the question because there aint one in this small country town and all I have at the moment is a cheap York 530 bench and some cheap weights.
what i'm thinking is a power rack mostly for safety and the fact it has a few other uses a decent bench and an Olympic bar and weight set witch should let me do all the basic compound stuff.
so my questions are what brands to look for where to buy from and any other general advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
and my budget is around 1 gorilla

I'd look at:

Gym Direct (with 10% off)
MMPR Power Rack $535.50
MM Commercial Flat bench with Wheels $265.50
MM Rubber Oly plates PAIR 2.5kg & 1.25kg $20

$820ish

Then find a nice bar and plate deal:

Again Faster Bar and 150kg bumpers $977

This one a gym and fitness looks the goods.

Force USA - Power Rack Package 1
Save
37%
Retail price $2,145.00 Online Price:
$1,349.95

VIEW PRODUCT OPTIONS

OverviewSpecsReviewsQ & APrice MatchDelivery InfoReturnsWhy Buy From Us?
2 PACKAGES LEFT IN STOCK AT THIS PRICE SO BE QUICK!!!
NOTE: THIS PACKAGE INCLUDES THE NEW MODEL FORCE USA POWER RACK WITH BAND PEGS!!!

This package includes the following items

Force USA - Power Rack
Force USA - Lat pull down option
Force USA - Flat Incline Bench
Includes Knee Bar
500lb Olympic Barbell
2x20kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
2x10kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
4x5kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
4x2.5kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
4x1.25kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
TOTAL = 95kg weights + 17kg barbell

Includes Knee Bar
500lb Olympic Barbell
2x20kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
2x10kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
4x5kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
4x2.5kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
4x1.25kg Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates
TOTAL = 95kg weights + 17kg barbell

Bar weighs 17kg... yuck.
Get a real oly bar.

And you really only need 2 x small plates.
Try to swap the plate config for:
4 x 20kg
2 x 10kg
2 x 5kg
2 x 2.5kg
2 x 1.25kg

Bar weighs 17kg... yuck.
Get a real oly bar.

And you really only need 2 x small plates.
Try to swap the plate config for:
4 x 20kg
2 x 10kg
2 x 5kg
2 x 2.5kg
2 x 1.25kg

I agree, I got this package a few years ago.

A few thing with the gym and fitness package-
-The base power rack is good
-Upgrade the barbell to a 20kg bar and if you can spend a bit extra go for an ABC barbell (don't have one personally but from the reviews stand up in a commercial setting at a very reasonable price)
-I took the lat pull down attachment off because the way the knee attachment works you would have to be very weak to actually use the lat pull down well- and also isn't the best add on
-I would have much preferred just getting a solid and sturdy flat bench than the adjustable one

In the long run you are better off buying nice stuff once than having to upgrade.

I too am looking at setting up a home gym with a power rack and Olympic weights.

I was pretty set on the 4 Package Deal _ Power Rack + ASFID FID bench + Olympic bar + 80kg Olympic weights $1150. Upgrading to the 1500lbs bar, adding the weight tree, dip attachment and 2x20kg plates brought it to $1568 including shipping.

I then discovered this package from Cyberfit LC2 Power Rack + 180KG Olympic Weight Set + Flat/Incline bench | | Cyberfit Gym Equipment which includes dip attachments and comes to $1303 once I upgrade to the FID Bench. If I then purchase this weight tree (Weight Plate Rack (Olympic size) MOPR) from Gym Direct for $125, it brings the whole package up to $1428, a $140 saving with an extra 80kg of weight (without including shipping).

The Cyberfit seems like the obvious choice and I plan to visit both showrooms this week to check out the equipment out in person.

I have just started back on the main lifts after bumbling through a whole bunch of bodybuilding programs, so I'm still lifting pretty light at the moment but am making steady progress:
SQ: 100kg
DL: 115kg
BP: 60kg

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with the Cyberfit equipment, or had any opinions/suggestions to offer.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

I have the cyberfit lc2 rack, and am pretty happy with it, being a light rack, you don't want to be charging into it too hard or swinging off the pull up bar, but it certainly does the trick for the price. when I bought the rack, Steve (I think his name is) took 10 percent off the price no dramas, but if it's already in a package he may not. Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Hopie

I too am looking at setting up a home gym with a power rack and Olympic weights.

I was pretty set on the 4 Package Deal _ Power Rack + ASFID FID bench + Olympic bar + 80kg Olympic weights $1150. Upgrading to the 1500lbs bar, adding the weight tree, dip attachment and 2x20kg plates brought it to $1568 including shipping.

I then discovered this package from Cyberfit LC2 Power Rack + 180KG Olympic Weight Set + Flat/Incline bench | | Cyberfit Gym Equipment which includes dip attachments and comes to $1303 once I upgrade to the FID Bench. If I then purchase this weight tree (Weight Plate Rack (Olympic size) MOPR) from Gym Direct for $125, it brings the whole package up to $1428, a $140 saving with an extra 80kg of weight (without including shipping).

The Cyberfit seems like the obvious choice and I plan to visit both showrooms this week to check out the equipment out in person.

I have just started back on the main lifts after bumbling through a whole bunch of bodybuilding programs, so I'm still lifting pretty light at the moment but am making steady progress:
SQ: 100kg
DL: 115kg
BP: 60kg

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with the Cyberfit equipment, or had any opinions/suggestions to offer.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

The rack looks to be of simalr quality as the force usa/MM around the same price but can't give any actual feedback as I have the force rack. The only small problem I see with the rack is the back low bar does not arch backwards and thus you will need to squat out of the front hooks (still in the cage so not really a huge drama) and also have to lift the bench over the back member to bench press as shown in the pictures further down the page.

Also I have been lurking a while but I'm pretty sure someone who regularly posts here only had good things to say about cyberfit, however I'm not sure if that was for a rack or something else

I like the Gymdirect bench, and I've heard great things about their power rack.

For someone starting out, cyberfit on ebay have a great $100 20kg oly barbell

For an intermediate who's deadlifting, squatting, and shrugging very heavy weight, I would suggest an ABC powerbar (and Sticky sells other good bars). But those cyberfit ones will stand some punishment before they give out.

For weights, who gives a #$#@, get em second hand. Unless you want to give your left nut for expensive calibrated weights, like I did...

Actually, finding a second hand bargain for the whole lot can work too.

Also I have been lurking a while but I'm pretty sure someone who regularly posts here only had good things to say about cyberfit, however I'm not sure if that was for a rack or something else

I haven't had a problem with Cyberfit amd I have a lot of his stuff. I wish the guy would join the site!!

Only problem I have experienced with Cyberfit is the barbell bolts on the ends come loose, I dont have an Allen key big enough to properly tighten them. When I did Sheiko I was tightening them up after every session. My bar is outside and is withstanding everything I throw at it.
Plates have held well, bands and KB's are good quality also.

I haven't had a problem with Cyberfit amd I have a lot of his stuff. I wish the guy would join the site!!

Only problem I have experienced with Cyberfit is the barbell bolts on the ends come loose, I dont have an Allen key big enough to properly tighten them. When I did Sheiko I was tightening them up after every session. My bar is outside and is withstanding everything I throw at it.
Plates have held well, bands and KB's are good quality also.

Loctite on the bolts. You can thank me later.

I started out with a old Park bench - Nailed some even older carpet on to it and that was my bench press. Using my EZY bar to bench with :)

When i relised i didn't want to stop lifting i started looking around for some cheap gear

Then i hit up gumtree and found a bunch of weight plates (280kg) and 5 bars, 1 bench, Squat rack for under $300.

Next step is a full power rack - Probably wont need that for another year or so.

Here is one from Sams fitness, just upgrade the bar. I have the older version rack and have walked out from a 250kg squat and it survived, just made a hell of a bang nothing bent. I've mounted the pulldown on one of my shed uprights away from the rack which is a lot better.

Home > Power Rack System Gym
Power Rack System Gym

This would have to be one of our most popular packages. Powertec have really nailed the design on the Power Rack System. It is pretty hard for Power Racks to stand out from the crowd. Sturdy, safe design is one thing but it is the little extras that make this system so popular.

The chin up bars, dip handles and super smooth, heavy duty high/low pulley make this the power cage of choice for the serious weight trainer. Not only can you train safely with big weights in this set up. You have got loads of variety when it comes to choice of exercise – one day I will have to write them all down. It will be one long list though.

A good quality bench like the Powertec Utility Bench or the Ironmaster Super Bench will make you feel like you are training in a hardcore gym.

The Commercial Grade Olympic Barbell and Olympic Weights will allow you to bench press and squat up to 135kgs – with complete safety.

This package comes with the following equipment:

Powertec Power Rack System

Powertec Utility Bench or Ironmaster Super Bench

Power Maxx Olympic Barbell

115kgs of Power Maxx Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plates . The weights included are 4 x 20kg, 2 x 10kg, 2 x 5kg, 2 x 2.5kg.

Tricep Rope

Cable Row Handle

If you want to make any changes to this package just let us know. We can add or remove any items you like and email you a revised quote

Payment Plans

If you would like to get training straight away, you can use one of our Certegy Ezi Pay payment plans

Upfront Deposit $583

Number of Fortnightly Repayments 26

Repayment Amount $71.54

To qualify you need the following: Australian residency, full time job, bank account and drivers license

If there is any freight involved, this will be paid with the deposit

If you require shipping and you don't live in one of the metro areas listed, just email us for a quote. Also please read our Shipping Terms for gym equipment.

$2,200.00

QTY:

Item in cart. Head to Checkout
Targeted muscle groups

Last edited: