• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Newbie intro/questions on squat/power racks

Cheers, seems to be the consensus, my only hesitation is the standard vs the commercial really (and then navigating the bewildering add-ons and upgrade options)...

Very handy info here, thank you all.

The home vs commercial issue is one for me also, however the space issue (would be in a spare bedroom) is a dealbreaker... so home one it is.

After exploring a number of related posts on here, my gut's saying the MMPR is the way to go. Not only more economical than the PowerTec, but better chin options (the fact that it's very popular with this forum's members really helped in the decision-making process too)

I almost wish space was an issue for me so my mind was made up for me haha

Gazer99 not sure how close you are to a purchase but if you want to post any details of what you go for/who with/how much etc i'd appreciate it. I will do the same for any other newbie's arriving at this thread. Cheers.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an MMPR package too. It was Force USA vs MMPR for a week in my head, drove me nuts. Going to go for #3 package deal, upgrade bar, get dip bar and add 110kg of weight. Should keep me busy for a while.

Force USA had a great deal with 200kg of weights on ebay a week ago (now expired) and it was an awesome deal but it had a lat pulldown option and I dont have the space nor the need for that feature, just standard rack to do my strength stuff.

Last edited:
Glad to have a couple of other newbies looking at racks on this thread as well as all the experts!

Robbiejuve when you say #3 package deal you're referring to the GymDirect site, right?
3 Package Deal _ Power Rack + FIBEV flat incline bench + Olympic bar + 80kg Olympic weights $1095

I'm looking at the same package (as well as the 4 and 7), and probably the same add-ons. Upgrading the bar to 1500lbs or 600kg?

I'm the same with the lat pulldown, everything I read swears by a standard rack and barbell.

My only hesitation with the non-commercial MM rack is the lack of weights storage, not just for convenience but to add weight to the whole structure for safety (especially if you're placing the dip attachment on the outside of the rack).

Last edited:
Glad to have a couple of other newbies looking at racks on this thread as well as all the experts!

Robbiejuve when you say #3 package deal you're referring to the GymDirect site, right?
3 Package Deal _ Power Rack + FIBEV flat incline bench + Olympic bar + 80kg Olympic weights $1095

I'm looking at the same package (as well as the 4 and 7), and probably the same add-ons. Upgrading the bar to 1500lbs or 600kg?

I'm the same with the lat pulldown, everything I read swears by a standard rack and barbell.

My only hesitation with the non-commercial MM rack is the lack of weights storage, not just for convenience but to add weight to the whole structure for safety (especially if you're placing the dip attachment on the outside of the rack).

Yeah thats the one. 1500 bar but other suggestions about the bar (like nightfalls above) are worth considering.

From what I read, it is not recommended to put the dip bar on the outside due to tipping, Is there any reason the dip bar cant go on the inside?

so... any other newbies taking the plunge actually sucessfully bought anything from GymDirect? I emailed them 3 weeks ago with a couple of questions on the racks and wanting a shipping quote and have gotten zero response. Emailed again a few days ago, still nothing.

so... any other newbies taking the plunge actually sucessfully bought anything from GymDirect? I emailed them 3 weeks ago with a couple of questions on the racks and wanting a shipping quote and have gotten zero response. Emailed again a few days ago, still nothing.

I bought off cyberfit for exactly that reason. If you can't answer emails or return phone msgs your not getting my business. Plus their freight price is a fucking rip off. Call cyberfit mate goid prices and excellent service, only sells his own line of products though.

I had no problems when I got stuff off them but I agree. It really pisses me off when you are trying to buy something of someone and they can't manage to get back to you. Had it happen with other companies and I would just spend my money elsewhere.

I phoned gymdirect, didn't email, and my bench arrived in a pretty timely fashion. Just ordered it then and there on the phone with my credit card.

I tried sending 'the hulk' messages on here before with no success, I believe he owns gymdirect or is a rep.

I really like their flat bench, it's wide and low.

I too have posted products queries on their contact form and emailed with no response. It was a query about their commercial power rack. You shouldn't have to call if a business offers email or web enquiries.

I don't plan on buying from them for that reason.

Also, freight price is ridiculous. $105 tail lift surcharge if you don't have a forklift!

Thats is suprising because when I bought my rack I sent them off an email for a quote and got a reply 2 hours later. I would ring them.

Their customer service once you order is quite underwhelming though, I ordered the dip bar and they didn't even tell me it was on back order, I had to call 2 weeks later chasing it up and its still out of stock for 2 more weeks.

I too have posted products queries on their contact form and emailed with no response. It was a query about their commercial power rack. You shouldn't have to call if a business offers email or web enquiries.

Also, freight price is ridiculous. $105 tail lift surcharge if you don't have a forklift!

Exactly... can't i ask for it on a normal truck and lift it off myself ? :)

Most companies will now charge a forklift/tailgate surcharge

It's built into the Iron Edge shipping costs, and some of their carriers won't deliver to residential, and will drive off if you say you have a fork but don't

^ best bet is to get them to pack it, give you the dimensions, then get your own quotes and take the cheapest. Quite a few websites do it

Most companies will now charge a forklift/tailgate surcharge

It's built into the Iron Edge shipping costs, and some of their carriers won't deliver to residential, and will drive off if you say you have a fork but don't

I also requested a quote by email and got no reply. I thought it was quite strange considering it is an online business.

Did you do it by email or one of those online enquiry things?
I never use the online things cos I don't think I've ever gotten a reply from one lol