• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

newbie home gym setup

warxy

Hi,

This is one of those newbie home gym setup thread again. I'm in the process of saving up to build a home gym in my bedroom, which will just be consist of a rack, a bar, a bench and some free weights.

At the moment I'm thinking about sourcing all the items(below) from gymdirect:

150kg bumpers - $749
MMPR power rack - $595
600Kg rated thrust bearing oly bar - $199
commercial flat bench - $295
fractional plate set - $60
pair of 2.5kg rubber coated plates - $14.80

Would like to get some opinions/suggestions from you fine folks. Im getting bumpers because i want to learn the oly lifts some where down the track.
Forum searches indicated that a lot of you have the same rack and many of you have had it for quite a while now, just wondering how's yours holding up.

The commercial rack is not really an option due to spacing and budget issues. Also being a 173cm tall asian i doubt i will ever be able to out grow the MMPR rack, at least not in the short term anyway. The commercial bench seems to be a little excessive, but it was mentioned here before that the cheaper ones gymdirect has is not wide enough and i don't like the look of them in the pictures.

I will have to put the rack against the short side of my bedroom which is 3m wide as i don't have much space. Will 3m provide enough clearance for me to use a 2.2m/7ft bar?

My budget is around $2000 and I'm open to suggestions of other racks and gears. The budget can be stretched. It just means i will have to save up for a bit longer which i rather not. The items above adds up to about 1.9k. I've emailed Adrian(The Hulk?) for a full quote factoring in the 10% discount and shipping cost but i haven't received a reply yet.

Cheers,
Ben

Look like quality gear, and at a pretty decent price too. The only suggestion I could make would be to either add in an adjustable bench (flat-90deg in graduations) for incline/delt work; or to trade yours for one and then buy the commercial bench after a few extra months of saving (and increasing weights benched).

You cracked me up there BTW - The commercial rack is not really an option due to spacing and budget issues. Also being a 173cm tall asian i doubt i will ever be able to out grow the MMPR rack, at least not in the short term anyway.

I like that you included the fact that you're asian.

Welcome to the forum, and make sure to take some pictures. Both of you, and the new setup.

Rian.

G'day Ben

I think your choice of equipment is pretty good. The bumpers seem an odd choice at first considering you'll be working out in your bedroom, but it seems you're thinking long term with them, so probably not a bad choice.

You asked how the MMPR rack is holding up....mine has never been a problem, it's a top notch piece of equipment.

The 3m spacing for the oli bar is toit bro....def not ideal imo. Garage would be much better if it's at all an option. Don't forget to consider ceiling clearance too. You wanna make sure you've got enough room for pullups and overhead press.

If you haven't got enough room to press standing, then you might wanna consider seated presses, in which case an adjustable bench would be a better choice than a flat one. If the height of the pullup bar is very close to your ceiling then you can assemble it upside down and save several inches.

Good luck bud!

I like that you included the fact that you're asian.
Just pointing out the odds ;)

Look like quality gear, and at a pretty decent price too. The only suggestion I could make would be to either add in an adjustable bench (flat-90deg in graduations) for incline/delt work; or to trade yours for one and then buy the commercial bench after a few extra months of saving (and increasing weights benched).
Thanks Rian. Ive already got an adjustable bench at home (bought from rebelsports earlier in the year).

Welcome to the forum, and make sure to take some pictures. Both of you, and the new setup.
Thanks and sure Rian. Why do i have to be in the pictures too?

The 3m spacing for the oli bar is toit bro....def not ideal imo. Garage would be much better if it's at all an option. Don't forget to consider ceiling clearance too. You wanna make sure you've got enough room for pullups and overhead press.
toit? Garage is not an option at all. :( My bedroom is the only option at the moment.
Ceiling shouldnt be a problem. It's a little over 2.6m. Im planning to do overhead press and any exercise that has a big range of motion at either the back yard which is grass or the front drive way which are concrete tiles. Will need rubber flooring if i do it at the front.

You asked how the MMPR rack is holding up....mine has never been a problem, it's a top notch piece of equipment.
Good to hear! What's the heaviest weight that you've put on that rack?
Would you be able to give me a rough estimate on how much clearance I'd need infront of the rack to readjust the safety pins?

Thanks,
BenH

Last edited:
They'll easily handle your 150kg, plus some. You'll need to more than double the advertised depth to account for removing pins.

Are you sure? :confused: that would be over 1.4m! advertised depth is 1.38m.

Absolutely man - those safety bars have to slide entirely out of the rack, which means that they are sticking out 1.4(ish) metres at the point where you put in/remove the nose of them.

Rian.

I got stuck with the depth also, I can't move my safety bars out. I wish I had double the space for my rack.

Also......
Consider the black rubber weights set instead of bumpers. Bumpers look great but also nearly the double price.
You can get alot more weights for $750 or save a fair bit of cash...... just consider before purchase......
I know PTC Brissy use the black rubber plates.

Absolutely man - those safety bars have to slide entirely out of the rack, which means that they are sticking out 1.4(ish) metres at the point where you put in/remove the nose of them.
This is problematic. Im not exactly sure if i will have enough clearance to pull the bars out :(.

Here's a floor plan for what it would look like with the rack(blue) in place. Please note everything might not be in scale, but close. The floor plan seem to give the illusion that i have a lot more space than i actually do.
Floorplanner - room
I've made compromise with the bed already blocking 1 or 2 of the closet doors. See how the desk could be in the way of the bars depending on height?
The thin long dark brown thing is suppose to be a bar.

The powertec rack has the bars where they are adjusted differently without having to pull them out horizontally. But it's over $200 more expensive...

Cheers,
BenH

Last edited:
Sorry to thread hijack, but i'm considering a room that is just over 3.1 m wide between window sill and wall, how much space would be considered suitable for use of a 7' bar width wise for bench, squats, deadlifts and overhead press?

Hi Ben,

I've got this rack set up in my garage, so I just went to measure it for you.
You will need 2400mm clearance from the back wall to get the safety bars out.
From your plan, you may just be ok.

However, a good area to have is really 3.0m x 3.0m.
The barbell is 2200mm so this would give you 400mm each side to change plates.
And the rack is about 1300mm to the front posts if you put it right to the back wall, however, it's very common to bench press, incline bench, overhead press and do other assorted barbell exercises to the front of the rack, so you need that extra meter or so to the front of the rack, more is always better if you have the room, but you may get away with what room you have.

Personally, I always work to the front of the rack because it's easier and more convenient.
Only time I use the safeties is if going heavier than usual for low reps, which is not often at all.

Last edited:
switch ends. Desk where the power rack is now, bed up against that wall, running alongside the wall opposite the door but touching the top wall. Turn the power rack around and put it in the bottom R/H corner... if it will fit

That way the rack safeties should be able to pull out, and the desk is against the far wall, so it doesn't get in the road. With the bar loaded, it might be tight getting into the cupboards, but if the room is accurate to proportion, it should be possible :)

Consider the black rubber weights set instead of bumpers. Bumpers look great but also nearly the double price.
You can get alot more weights for $750 or save a fair bit of cash...... just consider before purchase......
I know PTC Brissy use the black rubber plates.
Hi deep, im planning to learn the oly lifts down the track so im just investing in them now instead of having to spend money again to get them later on.

Sorry to thread hijack, but i'm considering a room that is just over 3.1 m wide between window sill and wall, how much space would be considered suitable for use of a 7' bar width wise for bench, squats, deadlifts and overhead press?
From what i've gathered 3m is fine but not ideal. but exercises like overhead press are not recommended. Not saying you cant do it. It would great if someone can correct me if im wrong.

The barbell is 2200mm so this would give you 400mm each side to change plates.
Hi Adrian, i was looking forward to your reply.
No problem with width as the short wall is exactly 3m. I thought i would have some clearance infront of the rack for some work but i didnt know id need that much clearance.

Personally, I always work to the front of the rack because it's easier and more convenient.
Only time I use the safeties is if going heavier than usual for low reps, which is not often at all.
Do you mean outside the rack or front of the rack but still inside the rack?
I think i understand what you're trying to say, but I'd like to keep the bar inside the rack as I dont know my limits yet (especially benches). Plus doesnt it defect the purpose of having a rack if i do all the moves outside?

That way the rack safeties should be able to pull out, and the desk is against the far wall, so it doesn't get in the road. With the bar loaded, it might be tight getting into the cupboards, but if the room is accurate to proportion, it should be possible :)
Hi Rian, i've reorganised the floor plan, tell me if thats what you meant? Doing it that way, the desk would block the way to the door..
The wall sockets for power and internet are under the desk(first version of floor plan) so I'd like to keep the desk around that corner.

Last edited:
Hi Ben,

My proposed workout room is basically 3.1 x 3.1 with a roughly 1.3 double door opening on one end (would provide space to pull out safeties), I'm actually keen on the MM commercial rack though... is that ever going to happen in that kind of space while leaving me room at the front for deadlifts and overhead presses? or do i really need to find a larger space?

(it just has those great JHooks, plate storage, looks great :) and i'd love a really solid rack)

Switch the bed and the desk, keeping the bed hard into that corner. Will open up doorway slightly, get the desk closer to the wall ports, and the cupboards will all be free.

Elsewise, buy a hammock, or a bunk bed with a desk built into it...

EASY SOLUTION!

:D

Switch the bed and the desk, keeping the bed hard into that corner. Will open up doorway slightly, get the desk closer to the wall ports, and the cupboards will all be free.
I think you might have been confused, its actually a big closet inside the wall, not cupboards. Either way im not bothered if the original floor plan blocks 1 or 2 of the doors as i seldom use that side of the closet anyway.
i've played around a bit more with the floor plane in according to what you said but they look like they will not work. The door to the room is almost blocked..

Elsewise, buy a hammock, or a bunk bed with a desk built into it...
haha a hammock. Bunk bed sucks, i like to walk into my room and just fall into my bed with out the need to climb some ladders :).

Just sleep at your desk
:rolleyes:

And the rack is about 1300mm to the front posts if you put it right to the back wall,
Will placing the MMPR rack back against the wall eliminate usage of the rear posts? It doesnt look like it would have any effect from the pictures on the product page but im not sure.