• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New to Working out, dont have much idea about

walt

DuffProteinMan
Hello,

Well basically I want you to ask what i need to improve or get rid of in my workout. I have been doing this workout for 11 weeks now and haven't noticed any difference. I am looking to bulk up basically for rugby and in general.

I do not have any weights except for dumbbells.

I do this 3 times a week and it usually last 30 minutes:

Exercise
Sets
Reps
Push-up
Crunches
Squats
Chin-up
Bicep Curl
Bent-over rows (dumbbells)
Lunges
Bridge
Hold for 45 seconds each time

I only use weights on the dumbbell and bent over rows, not anything else.

I also do 1 day a week of cardio, 2 minutes skipping and 20 minutes jogging and i increase it everytime.

Buy a barbell and plates. You wont get far without them.
Read the threads at the top of the forum. Heaps on info their on routines.

Well basically I want you to ask what i need to improve or get rid of in my workout. I have been doing this workout for 11 weeks now and haven't noticed any difference. I am looking to bulk up basically for rugby and in general.

I do not have any weights except for dumbbells.

I only use weights on the dumbbell and bent over rows, not anything else.

I did a dumbbell only routine when I first started training, for a couple of months. If you're serious about training you'll need to take it to the next level like I did and get some proper equipment, as Sticky mentioned.

If you want to stick with just dumbbells however, well you can definitely do more exercises than just rows.

• DB bench press on your bed (stick a couple of sofa cushions on top of the bed to use as a bench)
  • Incline db bench press (get a plank of wood from Bunnings and lean it against side of your bed at 45 degree angle)
  • db shoulder press
  • lateral raise
  • curls
  • hammer curls
  • db squats
  • db lunges
There are definitely heaps of others, but you're really limiting your potential if you don't get real equipment.

And as for the bulking part, check out the nutrition sub-forum.

Bodyweight squats are not going to get you far, you are already doing 30 which is endurance work not maximal strength work. Either buy some real equipment or go to a gym and start lifting heavy in the lower rep ranges. As Sticky said read some of the sticky threads especially the beginners look here thread.

Your workout is terrible for what you want that is why after 11 weeks you have not seen any changes. Also stop the jogging, you sprint in rugby not jog so sprint in your training for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, i don't really want to spend $100+ on equipment, i don't have a job. I am getting a home gym soon, and that will have a bench and i have dumbbells, and after speaking to someone, i can use the dumbbells for a lot of exercises (e.g dumbbell press). So therefore i don't have to buy expensive equipment for a good workout right? I will be using squats and lunges with dumbbells now but I'm not sure how much to change it. Would i do half the amount of squats or what? Also with how much weights (if i can feel the burn or if i can just lift it)?

You're only 16, so I don't expect you to have a job or be earning some serious money. However, have you approached your family for few dollars so as to buy one barbell with few weight disks? This will enable you to perform some powercleans, deadlifts, bent-over rows, military press and so on. We can use some of the weights to place in a back-pack to make your push ups harder and save you some money on buying a bench for now.

Can you play rugby without a rugby ball? Of course you can but it won't be the same as playing with one. Same goes here. Weights or at least some weights are needed as a tool to increase the intensity of your workout which would place some pressure on your muscles to grow (if you're eating and resting enough).

Fadi.

If you want to get bigger mate,and cant afford a set up , your going to have to get more weight on those dumbells buddy until you can get yourself into a gym or a set up at home at least.

Dont let that stop you doing what your doing tho!!! Your not going to see huge gains , but its getting you disciplined and into a routine of working out, ready for when you can afford that bench or even better a power rack.

Well I'm sure i could get some money. The barbell with a few weight disks - how much does that cost? And with increasing the weights on dumbbells, will i increase the weight every time i increase the amount of reps? I increase it 2kg every 2 weeks?

Should i change my workout or keep it the same? does the one below target all muscle groups and is it better than my current workout?

Monday
Full Body
Exercise
Sets
Reps
Dumbbell Squat
6-12
Dumbbell Bench Press
6-12
One Arm Dumbbell Row
6-12
Standing Dumbbell Curl
6-12
Two Arm Seated Dumbbell Extension
6-12
Sit Up
10-25

Wednesday
Full Body
Exercise
Sets
Reps
Dumbbell Step Up
6-12
Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift
6-12
Seated Dumbbell Press
6-12
Standing One Leg Dumbbell Calf Raise
10-20
Dumbbell Shrug
10-15
Dumbbell Side Bends
10-15

Friday
Full Body
Exercise
Sets
Reps
Dumbbell Lunge
6-12
Dumbbell Floor Press
6-12
Wide Grip Pull Up
6-12
Standing Hammer Curl
6-12
Lying Dumbbell Extension
6-12
Lying Floor Leg Raise
10-25

Sorry for the hard read.

Last edited:
Should i change my workout or keep it the same?
At 16 and just starting out: look at the weights, eat, sleep, and you'll grow! I'll let others expand on this.

Fadi

Unless you are challenging your body with heavy weights it would be better to put your time into sprinting, skills work and general training for rugby. Do some body weight work but if you are looking at getting stronger get a gym membership or some proper tools first and then let us know what you have access too and work from there.

ok. so if i do the training program at the top of this page and just keep adding weights every 2 weeks or so - that'll work?

No because you are doing too high reps to develop your strength, there is a bodyweight thread on here go have a look it has some good videos with some exercises you can do instead to make it worth your while for a the time being.

34 pushups is working you for strength endurance not maximal strength which is what you want to increase your power for the field.

Can you get access to a gym?