• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New member - NPR

So Josh - er, I meant Nick, but Josh can tell us, too, since his squats are bigger than ours - for those of us on the chicken-legged side of the gym, what are your recommendations for building up the squat? Go heavy as soon as we can with low reps, high reps, breathing squats or what?

Last edited:
Well I'll answer anyway.

Just squat. Do all different types, do them often, like 4 times a week often, and remember to bring your effort.

As for exactly what to do I have never followed a totally set program. I just walk in and try and better some personal record. That might be 1rm, 5rm, 3rm, 20rm, front squat, overhead squat, box squat, bench squat, pistol squat. Its not as important as making sure you bust your gut with blood vessel popping effort. Keep yourself guessing, but keep getting a little better each session.

When I was training alone I would love to grab some random from the gym and ask the to spot me. I would never let a random actually spot me, I would just say let me get "x" reps them help me if I need it, not before. rep x would be what I was trying to get to. I just needed to say it out aloud to someone and know they were watching me so I couldn't cheat myself when the going got hard.

I agree with what Nick said about Effort. You need to want to do it, you need to have it sorted in your head before you do it. That is what I am struggling with at the moment. I know I could lift more but I need to get my shit sorted in my head.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have 190kg or even 200kg staring at you on a squat rack. That shit would take some serious physical and more so mental strength if you ask me.

I bet you are eyeing off 200kg now Nick!

Josh, maybe you could try what Fadi had me do - load the bar up with 20 or so more kg than you normally do, unrack it onto your shoulders and don't squat it - just walk out as though you were going to squat it, stand there breathing for a few moments, then rack it. It gets you used to the idea of a heavier weight. Makes a lot of sense to me - that way when we try a heavier weight, it's not the first time it was on our shoulders, not so daunting.

I don't really know, I'm just passing on what a stupendously more experienced guy told me :)

As for me, well last time I managed 5x 65kg, 5kg more than the time before. So tomorrow I'll do more reps or more weight. Or maybe another set. I'll see how we go tomorrow. Low numbers, but so what, they're rising. :p

Last edited:
Let me tell yopu guys that Nick was REAL close with 200kg, he will squat that at the comp in a fortnight for sure.

As far as walking out with 20kg more goes, your joking right.

Nick did partials after his 200kg miss, not just walk outs, 1/4 squats, but he used 320kg.

So you guys dont think that was a typo......320kg.

The others training at the time all did between 280kg and 320kg also.....that included guys whose 1RM was 120,145,150 and 170kg.

While I agree wholeheartedly that having a heavy weight on your back is an awesome training technique, just 20kg is not going to cut it.

Kat used 190kg and her PB is 80kg. Max did over 4 times bodyweight and Howie was up around 380kg.

Like Nick said, he has done amazing squats in every rep range, from 190kg x 1, 140kg x 20 and 60kg x 100.

I've got video of Nick doing 320kg partials, but its rather mundane and dont think we'll use it. He even did partials with 280kg in the FRONT SQUAT, try that on your wrists.

Let me tell yopu guys that Nick was REAL close with 200kg, he will squat that at the comp in a fortnight for sure.

Nick did partials after his 200kg miss, not just walk outs, 1/4 squats, but he used 320kg.

So you guys dont think that was a typo......320kg.

The others training at the time all did between 280kg and 320kg also.....that included guys whose 1RM was 120,145,150 and 170kg.

While I agree wholeheartedly that having a heavy weight on your back is an awesome training technique, just 20kg is not going to cut it.

Kat used 190kg and her PB is 80kg. Max did over 4 times bodyweight and Howie was up around 380kg.

Like Nick said, he has done amazing squats in every rep range, from 190kg x 1, 140kg x 20 and 60kg x 100.

I've got video of Nick doing 320kg partials, but its rather mundane and dont think we'll use it. He even did partials with 280kg in the FRONT SQUAT, try that on your wrists.

Markos, I'd be more confident if I was there in person with Kyle say; then I can see for myself how he's "walking". I'm always holding myself back from recommending such high weight numbers especially when I'm sitting here behind my keyboard. Soon enough I'm sure, Kyle or whoever for that matter, would feel not just psychologically confident, but also physically ready to attempt going under a heavier load. I like the gradual process better; it puts my mind at ease, (very important).

PS: I always like to leave something for tomorrow to look forward to Markos. I've got that from professional coaches such as your good self long time ago now; and I know you gentlemen always want the best for us.

Fadi.

PTC said:
Hey, I was just repeating what Fadi had told me.

Edit: and Fadi himself answered, so I didn't have to. I was right in what I thought, he was just going easy on me!

I'm willing to go higher on walkouts if I have competent people supervising me, not on my own, though. Even then I'd want to step up, like 80, then 90, and so on. Straight to 160kg? I don't think so. :eek:

Last edited:
Hey, I was just repeating what Fadi had told me.

Edit: and Fadi himself answered, so I didn't have to. I was right in what I thought, he was just going easy on me!

I'm willing to go higher on walkouts if I have competent people supervising me, not on my own, though :eek:

Very good point.

Fadi.

Well I only allow my lifters to do that at PTC, none have bothered with negatives and walk outs away from my place, so fair call.

i was going to squat tomorrow, i'll try some walkouts and 1/4 squats and see what sort of weight i can shoulder. im finding it hard to picture myself with 200kg on my shoulders but if theres a girl with a PB of 80kg walking out with 190kg it cant be too hard can it???? :D

Damm just doing 100kg yesterday felt like I was going to be crushed, it just feels fn heavy, and like I am being compressed.