• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New member - NPR

Fadi, your formula is a generaliazation, and by a long shot.

Everybody has a different combination of fast and slow twitch fibers. It can only be used as a very rough guide that serves no purpose whatsoever. If somebody wants to know, they do it, if they dont want to know, they dont. I appreciate what your trying to do, but that just has a stack of guys running around claiming lifts they cant do, based on a generalization.

The only way to know what your 1RM is, is to do a 1RM

Try these, see how your numbers stack up.

Nick 150kg x 10 squat, 187.5kg x 1 PB

Nina 60kg x 11 bench press, 77.5kg x 1 PB

Nina 60kg x 40 squat, 105kg x 1 PB

James 220kg x 7 deadlift, 250kg x 1 PB

Fat Dave 140kg x 10 squat, 170kg x 1 PB

Alen 200kg x 4 deadlift, 220kg x 1 PB

James 150kg x 20 squat, 185kg x 1 PB

Adam 100kg x 12 bench press, 137.5kg PB

Now these are just a few factual numbers, I have plenty more if you want.

No guessing allowed, load up the bar and man the f u c k up

It's true what Markos says. I had benched 6x 80kg, then I went for a 1RM, it should have been something like 93kg - but in fact was 82.5kg. A measely 2.5 extra kgs knocked it from 6 reps to 1.

Then today, the most I'd tried on bent-over row was 5x 60kg, today I did 5x 70kg easily and forced out 5x 80kg.

I don't know, though - maybe such guidelines hold for 99% of lifters.

It doesn't interest me much, what I can do for just one rep, I'm more interested in what I can do for several reps, that has more effect on my day-to-day workouts.

Last edited:
a week or two ago i repped 5x5 bench at 75kg's, Fat Dave did 87.5kg's yet my 1 rep max was 100kg and his was 97.5kg (that may have changed by now) i also rep military press 5x5 at 47.5kg with a 1 rep max of only 55kg. theres a big difference between those two exercises for what i rep and what my 1 rep max is.

Today Imanaged:
4 board bench press of 160kg x 2
Military press 80kg x 3x3
Squat 160kg x 3x3

Sounds like a good system to me Fadi, I doubt I'll ever bother doing 1RM anymore than once, I'm more keen on what I can rep. Good numbers there too NPR, That's a very decent bench press there. :)

i havent really tested what i can do for 10 reps but just guessing i used the formula and it did work out pretty close. i might check my 10 rep max sometime and test the formula out properly lol

It's true what Markos says. I had benched 6x 80kg, then I went for a 1RM, it should have been something like 93kg - but in fact was 82.5kg. A measely 2.5 extra kgs knocked it from 6 reps to 1.

Then today, the most I'd tried on bent-over row was 5x 60kg, today I did 5x 70kg easily and forced out 5x 80kg.

I don't know, though - maybe such guidelines hold for 99% of lifters.

It doesn't interest me much, what I can do for just one rep, I'm more interested in what I can do for several reps, that has more effect on my day-to-day workouts.

Kyle, to perform a 1RM you have to be prepared in advance for it by using the periodisation system which is based on what I've put up here. You can not push all the way all the time then do a 1RM whenever. All is calculated based on that 1RM. You have weeks where the volume is higher but the percentages are lower etc. I'm sure Markos knows what I'm talking about and the calculation I gave here is a generalised and I've never said otherwise.

You yourself have said now that you benched 80kg x6 then went for a 1RM. I'm very surprised Markos hasn't spotted that one to be honest with you Kyle. That is not how 1RM are approached. How else do you think Olympic weightlifters peak for a comp day? By preparing and easing right down for that 1RM. I can go on forever here but I think the point is clear.

Kyle, according to this formula you are strong for 95kg 1RM. But you've got to prepare for it. Sure as Markos have said that there are variables galore, but at the end of the day you have to base your calculation on something. I'll stop here otherwise we'll go forever.

Fadi.

Sounds like a good system to me Fadi, I doubt I'll ever bother doing 1RM anymore than once, I'm more keen on what I can rep. Good numbers there too NPR, That's a very decent bench press there.

There's really no need for you to do a 1RM Morgan. 1RM is for atheletes like weightlifters; not bodybuilders. If you want muscles, then you stick with reps ranging from 6-25, where Type I,Type IIA,andType IIB are all covered. Leave the 1-5 reps for Olympic weightlifters.

Fadi.

I didnt spot or comment on Kyles post because he doesnt train at my gym and he didnt ask my opinion.

1RM attempts for powerlifters and bodybuilders vary in terms of cycles. I know that Fadi.

My clients are training for a 5 lift comp in September, we are peaking currently.

I know how to make lifters strong and keep weak lifters away Fadi.

You yourself have said now that you benched 80kg x6 then went for a 1RM. I'm very surprised Markos hasn't spotted that one to be honest with you Kyle.

Sorry, I was unclear.

What I meant was that I had achieved in a few workouts 6x 80kg.

Then a couple of weeks later in class we tested our 1RM. For that, we did no workout first. I just did a warmup with 12x 60kg, then the teacher said, "what's your normal maximum?" I replied, "6 of 80", and 82.5kg was set up for my attempt. I did 1 rep. Next 87.5kg was set up, and I failed on it.

But as I said in the other thread, I am not too fussed about 1RMs as such. If I lift today more weight and/or more reps than I did yesterday, I am happy.

I was never fussed about 1rm's until I started doing them, found a gym with a competitive atmosphere and like minded people.

If your 1rm goes up its almost certain your 10rm will go up, this does not always work the other way around.

I just realized that Daniel is now a member here as well (EnzymeX). He flys down from Canberra to compete at PTC comps, he is back down in 4 weeks. He doesnt post much, but is incredibly clued up.

He is relatively young in the lifting game, and at his first comp in January, he managed these lifts while weighing 74kg

Squat - 125kg
Bench - 100kg
Powerclean - 82.5kg
C & P - 80kg
Deadlift - 170kg

Total - 557.5kg

Post something Dan lol

yeah
your diet

surely you dont eat the same thing every day of the week, so just a sample of what you eat on a typical day

Last edited:
He pretty much does eat the same thing every day. Slight variations only.

He is responsible for the shortage of Sole Mare tuna on the east coast lol

Nick is currently reducing bodyweight for the upcoming comp in 4 weeks, to achieve a better Wilks score.

Well I was planning too, then you wife went and baked muffins. YUM!

My usual eating is something like this

730am - Breaky shake: 2 cups milk, 3-4 eggs, heaps of oats, 250is grams cottage cheese, and mixed berried. Multi v, 5ish fish oil caps.

10:30 - Either tuna, cottage cheese and a protein shake, oats in a shake or a banana and a shake.

1:30pm: Lean meat and huge salad (mixed leafs, cucumber, tomato, red onion, sprouts, feta, olive oil, balsamic vinegar) on non training days. Occasionally footling subway with double chicken breast, bacon and salad. Or a chicken kebab with double chinken if I'm really desperate at uni and have forgotten my usual stuff from home.

430 - 1-2 pieces of fruit and shake in milk. Maybe some cottage cheese.

5pm Train - Protein shake.

7-8pm - Whatever lean meat and vegie combo my girlfriend has cooked up. We rotate between steak, homemade burgers, tuna steaks, sausages sometimes. Plenty of broccoli, beans, sweet potato, brussel sprouts, asparagus.

10-11pm - Whatever is around to get about 70g of protein with minimal carbs. Could be cottage cheese, big protein shake, tuna, leftover meat, scrambled eggs.

Also I'll usually be snacking on tuna, almonds and milk. How much depends on if i want to lose or gain weight

Weekends I differ this a bit. I'm always all over Melbourne so I have various places I stop for charcoal chicken and vegies, always carry protein on me, tins of tuna in my back pack, etc. I just make sure I get 50+ grams of protein every 3 hours. Also after training with Markos I have my regular cheat meal (I have others but this one is scheduled, LOL) usually nandos, KFC, Grill'd, Macca's or a Souvo. Also Markos' wife Nina bakes the best muffins I have ever eaten, she has been baking a lot recently, so yeah I've been eating a lot of muffins on saturday mornings.

In a few days I'll be going into contest mode to cut weight for the 5 lift comp. No cheat meals, mostly lean meat and vegies, no carbs in the arvo (except right before and after training) cut the milk intake, no late nights, no alcohol at all. Contest prep sucks.

Hit a new squat PB today. 190kg. Gave 200kg a good ride, but missed it half way up.

Very happy with today.