• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need the facts...

Gauche

Does lifting weights before 16 stunt your gowth or damage your joints?

Please supply your information with the backup behind it. I'm currently in an agrument at work and need your help. lol

I know today tonight said it does....If that counts for anything.

Hey mate - from what I know there has been no testing/scientific proof done on the connection between stunted growth and weight training at a young age.

Don't argue.

Always ask why.

What we know; a young body is growing.
In the squat the weakest point is in the squat position, the so called sticking point is where the hip is just below the knee.
You progessivly get stronger the closer you reach the standing position, In that upright position you are strongest,infinatly strong, strong enough to hold the universe if your bones could stand it.

Does a sixteen year old need to lift weights?
No.
Give him enough of the right food he'll grow and he will get big.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
No it doesn't if performed correctly but if performed badly it can damage joints and lead to ephiyseal plate problems (fractures etc which can lead to growth issues, same goes or sports too). I am at work so can't provide you a book or study but if it helps tell him I have an exercise science degree and am doing a masters.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its an argument for the sake of an argument this one. I remember PTC saying it was a myth and to go ahead and train when your young. So just looking for those facts. noobs, Fadi, PTC, Dave, outofcontrol, anyone? lol

I think weight training is great for younger ppl (starting at 14-16) - I started when I was 15 and have been consistent ever since - gone from 80kgs -120kgs @ 5'11.

I think for young athletes weight training is a MUST - and in Australia we do not put enough focus into this - I was in ACT teams/ spent time at the AIS etc and we did little in the way of weight training.

In Australia we tend to do things backward - i.e you'll have a good natural talent i.e 16 yrs old he will go through the "development" system - then reach a 1st grade level at say 19 and then they will teach/train him how to be strong/faster/bigger - why don't we do it how they do in the states and develop athletes from the age of 13,14,15 etc so when they do reach the top level they have the full package.

Drives me crazy!

Yeah I hear that. They talk about it in the bigger faster stronger doco about how many turn to steroids to keep up through those years.

Hello...BAHAHA...I try mate I try.

Compound exercises should add to his already high gh and testosterone rate seting him up for better hormones later on in life. Not to mention make his man tackle bigger.

Olympic athletes in china start snathcing at like 8....

We will give our children ssri's and adhd medication but wont feed them vitmains and let them do weight training? Its ****ing madness...

Physical education should be mandatory at primary school level.

Weight lifting should be mandatory at secondary school level.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've been lifting weights since I was 16, I'm still at it at 49.

I've had two injuries.

Pulled a muscle in my lower back dead-lifting about 4 years ago.
Fell off my mountain bike and damaged my knee 12 years ago.
The physio couldn't fix it, squatting did.
Posted via Mobile Device

I completely agree SB. I was an overweight teenager and it would have been a godsend. I mean I wanted to loose weight I just didn't know how.

I completely agree SB. I was an overweight teenager and it would have been a godsend. I mean I wanted to loose weight I just didn't know how.

I went to boxhill high school they had bars and plates there, the two pe teachers were Americans and into wrestling and into weights, I never had the confidence to enquire, but after I left - it left an impression on me.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was pretty good at wrestling, beat a few heavier than me, I put that down to reflex and leverage.
I didn't like the idea of my nose been stuck in a bloke naughty bits.
I too was overweight and quiet.
My dad died that year, had a bit on my plate.
Posted via Mobile Device

Growth in bones occurs at the ends of the bones, growth plates. The bone adds on there and gradually lengthens.

The only thing which would affect that is a fracture. Yes, weight training can cause fractures if poorly-performed. Much less risk than Aussie Rules, though.

Both Billy and Ariel at my gym started weight lifting at age 13

Ariel is on his way to beating a world record at age 21 and Billy has pulled 360kg at a deadlift comp

Both are friggen massive and friggen strong

Can you imagine your mum sending you to the garage to do some deads before you hoped on your nintendo 64!!!